BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #45
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
I second all of this and wanted to clairify one point: The "line out" of the ipod still goes through the same amplification stage as the "amplified" headphone jack, so it isn't any cleaner. This is the case with almost all consumer level digital devices (cd players, etc.).
Ha! I didn't know that. I had thought (and had many others) that the iPod was better than that!!

I feel dirty :smile:

I thought that there was a difference in their relative impedence, such that the output of the dock connector was superior for inputting into another amplifier. I must say, I'm really hitting the limit on my knowledge of audio electronics.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #46
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Thank you for all your information on this topic Paul!
No problem. I'd be keen to see what it looks like, and not keen to see how much it costs!

I see you're doing European Delivery of your car... Lucky you! We drive on the wrong side of the road in our colony so I suspect that's why it isn't even offered here.

I have been to Germany a few times and cruised the autobahns in a new 320d - we averaged about 170km/h from Berlin to Munich. Now THAT was good fun. If you haven't done that yet, you'll love it.

The last time we were there, BMW Welt was a construction site and the BMW museum was in a tent in the Olympic Park. They're both open now and you would be crazy not to visit them!

Cheers,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #47
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramluap View Post
Ha! I didn't know that. I had thought (and had many others) that the iPod was better than that!!

I feel dirty :smile:

I thought that there was a difference in their relative impedence, such that the output of the dock connector was superior for inputting into another amplifier. I must say, I'm really hitting the limit on my knowledge of audio electronics.

Paul
It is still better though, as otherwise you'd have to guess at the correct volume setting on the iPod. The 4/5g iPods are light years ahead of other players - the Wolfson DAC is not usually found in hand held devices (of any kind) and is arguably the most important component of the player (the amplifier being the other important component).The current iPods use a Cirrus Logic chipset that is reportedly not as good.

Line out is supposed to be 1V (rms) @ 100 ohms, I'm not sure how close the iPod comes to this.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #48
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It is still better though, as otherwise you'd have to guess at the correct volume setting on the iPod. The 4/5g iPods are light years ahead of other players - the Wolfson DAC is not usually found in hand held devices (of any kind) and is arguably the most important component of the player (the amplifier being the other important component).The current iPods use a Cirrus Logic chipset that is reportedly not as good.

Line out is supposed to be 1V (rms) @ 100 ohms, I'm not sure how close the iPod comes to this.
Thanks for this information - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #49
john970
1er
Rep

Here's a good review of the current iPod's audio capabilities:

http://homepage.mac.com/marc.heijlig...surements.html
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #50
OzF16
BMF
Rep
Drives:

This might have been answered in an earlier post, but I need to clarify. I did not order the nav system or the USB/iPod interface option. I was under the impression that I could still plug in my iPod from the headphone/line-out jack on the iPod to the line-in jack without using the USB port. This effectively would be an AUX input and I would have full functionality of my iPod (but would have to control with the iPod instead of the control-head or steering wheel). Is this not true? Is this the setup that requires some kind of special BMW playlists?

If I change my order and get the iPod/USB adapter option (without Nav), am I getting any additional functionality other than control and display on the control-head?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #51
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzF16 View Post
This might have been answered in an earlier post, but I need to clarify. I did not order the nav system or the USB/iPod interface option. I was under the impression that I could still plug in my iPod from the headphone/line-out jack on the iPod to the line-in jack without using the USB port. This effectively would be an AUX input and I would have full functionality of my iPod (but would have to control with the iPod instead of the control-head or steering wheel). Is this not true? Is this the setup that requires some kind of special BMW playlists?
No, the special iTunes playlists were for the previous generation of iPod interface for the BMW.

What you say is correct. You can just connect your iPod (or any audio device) to the car with a standard 3.5mm male-male stereo cable. Effectively you are just using the car as a external speaker

Quote:
If I change my order and get the iPod/USB adapter option (without Nav), am I getting any additional functionality other than control and display on the control-head?

Thanks in advance.
The main advantage of the USB/y-cable over the method you describe:
- you control the iPod with the headunit/iDrive/steering wheel
- it charges the iPod
- audio is from the line-out rather than the headphone jack (minor issue as has been mentioned)

With the USB (6FL option) you have both though - a USB port AND the AUX input which you can use as you describe.

Cheers,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #52
OzF16
BMF
Rep
Drives:

That's good news. I'll probably not get the 6FL option since I'll listen to satellite radio a lot more than my iPod in the car. Will the iPod turn on and off with the car if it's plugged into the USB port? Or do you have to also turn off your iPod when you get out of the car? Or does it stay on and continue to draw a charge from the car battery?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #53
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's good news. I'll probably not get the 6FL option since I'll listen to satellite radio a lot more than my iPod in the car. Will the iPod turn on and off with the car if it's plugged into the USB port? Or do you have to also turn off your iPod when you get out of the car? Or does it stay on and continue to draw a charge from the car battery?
Yes, it turns on/off with the car (the playback pauses, and resumes). The playback also pauses when you switch to another audio source, answer the phone or hit 'mute'.

The iPod draws the power from the USB port from the moment you unlock the car to about 15 minutes after you lock the car. Same goes with phone charging - it will stop after 15 minutes - so there is no way it will ever drain the car's battery.

Regards,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #54
john970
1er
Rep

This monster cable charger (which I think has been discontinued) also has a line out on it that you can use for the aux input and will charge the ipod

http://www.phonemerchants.com/dhmc127033.html

If you buy a black 1/8" phono jack cable and zip tie them together, it could be a clean solution. If an iPod charger is disconnected (or loses power) while it is playing it will automatically pause. In my audi, it continues to power the cigarette ports so this wouldn't work. Not sure how the bimmers work...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #55
anthonydibiase2007
Registered
Rep
Drives:

RAN OUT OF MONEY FOR IPOD INTERFACE

I ran out of money so now I feel like an idiot. I got the Nav the Sat radio and the upgraded stereo but I didn't get the ipod interface. Does anyone know of how I can get one now? Will I find something in the aftermarket sites?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #56
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydibiase2007 View Post
I ran out of money so now I feel like an idiot. I got the Nav the Sat radio and the upgraded stereo but I didn't get the ipod interface. Does anyone know of how I can get one now? Will I find something in the aftermarket sites?

Thanks in advance for your help.
You can still have the dealer install an ipod adapter, just not the 6fl usb hotness.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #57
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
There is also a bit of circuitry in that box - it's not just a simple USB-Dock Connector cable.
Like what? I'm pretty sure it is, in fact, just a cable.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #58
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUK36 View Post
Its confusing me, why does it transfer the track names to the idrive?? It doesnt transfer the tracks, I wonder if its just to speed up the menus?

The idrive must have a small hard drive if it can only remember 20,000 track names.
It builds an index so it doesn't have to constantly go to the drive when you scroll through song names, etc. I don't think iDrive has a HDD at all, probably just some flash memory. Would love to get at the internals of it, though...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #59
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Like what? I'm pretty sure it is, in fact, just a cable.
I have no idea!

I saw it show up in my hand luggage going through an airport x-ray scanner. I tried to get a better look at it but the image scrolled off the screen. It may have just been simple wires but why is the box so ridiculously big I wonder...

Regards,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #60
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea!

I saw it show up in my hand luggage going through an airport x-ray scanner. I tried to get a better look at it but the image scrolled off the screen. It may have just been simple wires but why is the box so ridiculously big I wonder...

Regards,

Paul
I don't see any reason they would need anything in it. There are pins for both usb and line out on the connector itself:

http://www.ipodlinux.org/Dock_Connector

If it wasn't included for free, I was considering making one myself. Here is someone else's (not for a bimmer, but same idea).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #61
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quick question for the Experts: I ordered my 135i with the Ipod and USB adapter and I'm picking it up via PCD next week. Will I need a connector for my Nano when I get the car or does it come with one ?? I don't want to be stuck trying to find one on my 12 hour drive home. Thanks in advance for the valuable information.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #62
PaulUK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I believe you will need the lead, see page one of this thread.
My ipod didn't work without it.
Appreciate 0