Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
I don't think one has to be better than the other. They are different cars --different feel--different size -- both marvelous -- and both wonderful -- both with strengths and weaknesses...

Holly
The voice of reason speaks!

Well put Holly

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740

Last edited by Drillslinger; 05-17-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #134
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
See thats the thing. Sure the M3 sounds great and has great power but you have to wind it out to +7000rpm. Who drives like that around town. The 1M has 'usable' power for a daily driver and loads more for the rack.

The 1M is what the M3 should be. Same thing happened to Audi, the A4/S4 used to be a great sporty small sedan/wagon but now they are huge.
Every highschool kids around me who drives a M3 drives like that, put on big 19-20" wheels, lowered, big fat body kits with huge rear valence then complains that cop single them out for tint or no front plate.

I lived in Irvine for 8 years and never bought a car with a front plate mount. No cops have ever harassed me.
      05-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #135
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
I don't think one has to be better than the other. They are different cars --different feel--different size -- both marvelous -- and both wonderful -- both with strengths and weaknesses...

Holly
The voice of reason speaks!

Well put Holly :-)

Both great whips
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #136
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
Keep this in perspective all this dialogue was launched from this opinion, "So, which of the two is quicker around Monticello's south course? The more agile 1M Coupe takes the corners, while the more powerful M3 takes the straights – yet, overall, the pair are unbelievably close on this circuit. Lacking telemetry, we honestly don't know which is quicker. However, it is obvious that the new car is more engaging and more enjoyable to drive. Offered the choice between the two, seeking a weekend track racer that will see double-duty as a work commuter, we would take this new 1M Coupe over a BMW M3 Competition."

Please take note of this. "yet, overall, the pair are unbelievably close on this circuit. Lacking telemetry, we honestly don't know which is quicker."
Fact is that this is purely preference and feel. Some will like one over the other...
Good post.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #137
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
Keep this in perspective all this dialogue was launched from this opinion, "So, which of the two is quicker around Monticello's south course? The more agile 1M Coupe takes the corners, while the more powerful M3 takes the straights – yet, overall, the pair are unbelievably close on this circuit. Lacking telemetry, we honestly don't know which is quicker. However, it is obvious that the new car is more engaging and more enjoyable to drive. Offered the choice between the two, seeking a weekend track racer that will see double-duty as a work commuter, we would take this new 1M Coupe over a BMW M3 Competition."

Please take note of this. "yet, overall, the pair are unbelievably close on this circuit. Lacking telemetry, we honestly don't know which is quicker."
Fact is that this is purely preference and feel. Some will like one over the other...
Good post.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #138
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It is great that the car has journalists excited. All indications point towards a very fun and strong performing car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
The Hockenheim test for instance shows that the 1M can match or beat the M3 on certain tracks.
But...

No, not really. Anyone who understands the sum total effect of a slew of small variables can have on a lap time knows that this Hockenheim "comparison" is entirely apples to oranges. Different state of break in, different day, different temperature, different driver, etc. As discussed ad infinitum on some other threads: On most tracks (i.e. road courses) except very tight/low speed/autocross style ones, in a true apples to apples comparison the M3 will substantially best the 1M. Why - nearly identical suspensions, diff, brakes, tires, etc. with an 11% power to weight advantage for the M3. No not 3%, 5% or 8%, 11%. That is fairly significant.

I know you said you won't split hairs over lap times but just making the comparison on the Hockenheim is already doing so.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #139
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It is great that the car has journalists excited. All indications point towards a very fun and strong performing car.

But...

No, not really. Anyone who understands the sum total effect of a slew of small variables can have on a lap time knows that this Hockenheim "comparison" is entirely apples to oranges. Different state of break in, different day, different temperature, different driver, etc. As discussed ad infinitum on some other threads: On most tracks (i.e. road courses) except very tight/low speed/autocross style ones, in a true apples to apples comparison the M3 will substantially best the 1M. Why - nearly identical suspensions, diff, brakes, tires, etc. with an 11% power to weight advantage for the M3. No not 3%, 5% or 8%, 11%. That is fairly significant.

I know you said you won't split hairs over lap times but just making the comparison on the Hockenheim is already doing so.
Swamp, you are a great one for scientific analysis and all credit to you. But, do you buy a car like an M3 for the science or for the gut. Personally it's the gut for me. Sure the data helps but ultimately the car has to appeal. I think that's what the reports coming through on the 1M are getting at, the appeal of this car. The way your gut feels when you drive the thing. The way your senses buzz. That can't be measured. It has to be experienced. The 1M has been likened to the original M3, the E30 and that's significant. An E92 M3 may thrash an E30 M3 around a track but I know which has more appeal for me. I've driven both and frankly the E92, as advanced as it is, has lost something viscerally. Call me old school but hopefully the 1M can regain at least some of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #140
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Swamp, you are a great one for scientific analysis and all credit to you. But, do you buy a car like an M3 for the science or for the gut. Personally it's the gut for me. Sure the data helps but ultimately the car has to appeal. I think that's what the reports coming through on the 1M are getting at, the appeal of this car. The way your gut feels when you drive the thing. The way your senses buzz. That can't be measured. It has to be experienced. The 1M has been likened to the original M3, the E30 and that's significant. An E92 M3 may thrash an E30 M3 around a track but I know which has more appeal for me. I've driven both and frankly the E92, as advanced as it is, has lost something viscerally. Call me old school but hopefully the 1M can regain at least some of it.
+1
      05-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #141
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Sure, absolutely, most decisions about street cars tend to be highly emotional. My own decisions are certainly this way as well. That being said bang for the buck with the raw numbers is also very important to me personally. I try to use some science just to bring that to the community and to settle debates or end common misperceptions.

The 1M may be a very fun car to drive. All reports indicate that it is. However, the sound and redline are key components of a strong emotional experience for me and the 1M is strongly lacking here compared to the M3.

Even my much slower, medium modded, E36 M3 had some fun factor at the track that my E92 does not.

My post was not really on any of these particular points, it was simply pointing out a mis-statement and misperception.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #142
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
My post was not really on any of these particular points, it was simply pointing out a mis-statement and misperception.
That's cool. I was admitedly taking the argument further than you were. However, expect to be challenged if you use the term "best".

BTW I like M3s. Though I can say that I find the M3's lack of torque at low revs wearing around town. Without the benefit of having driven a 1M yet I can't say which I prefer but I am hoping the 1M meets my criteria, having ordered one. Seems I lack the imagination of many posters.

Last edited by gazz; 05-19-2011 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #143
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Well, EVO's vote is in. Another for the 1!!