BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2015, 04:12 AM   #1
jimmie004
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
DIY 135i Remote Start - Plug and play

**DISCLAIMER**
This write up is from direct personal experience with my 2009 135i coupe (e82) automatic w/o comfort access. The parts reference many other models/years (ranging as old as 2005 to as new as 2013). Do the research to find what will work for your vehicle.

**DISCLAIMER 2**
I completed everything myself in about 30 minutes (I do not have shop access), and while it is definitely doable (very easy actually), I accept no responsibility to errors in the write-up and recommend professional install.

Part Numbers:
Remote Starter (T-harness, module and expansion pack) - ADS-BM1
Weblink Cable (required to flash module/expansion) - ADS-USB
Drone Mobile add-on (optional - for smartphone control) - DR-3100

Install guide numbers:
Using factory remote only - 22049
Factory remote and Drone Mobile - 22041

Tools required:
T20 screw driver
Zip ties
Diagonal cutters (for zip ties only. This kit is PLUG AND PLAY)
Windows (native or virtual) with Internet Explorer (MS Edge, and other browsers may not work)
Internet access

Intro:
After getting a whole bunch of "Nope. Not possible." answers online, I finally went to a local high end audio shop and asked them about remote start for my 2009 135i and was pleasantly surprised when he said "hold on" while he ran to the back. He returned with a box in hand and proceeded to tell me how it was completely plug and play and even allowed you to use the factory remote for the controls. Or you could use either of the included remotes, or even add a module that allows you control with a phone. When he said $1250 installed, that's when I cringed. I wanted it, but I wasn't about to pay that kind of cash. I shopped around and found the remote starter, phone module, and cable required to flash the firmware for roughly $600 on ebay (Brand New). Did some more searching and was able to piece the instructions together to do the complete install and programming myself. It wasn't too easy to find documentation because the industry really wants the end user to have a pro do it. After successfully completing the install and having no issues whatsoever, I figured I'd post what I did to at least give hope to those who want remote start on their bimmers.

Write up:
First off, decide which guide applies to you and then read it thoroughly. It may seem daunting at first, but lay the parts out in front of you and follow the instructions through a couple times if you have to in order to understand the flow. The factory guides are actually very well written and easy to follow (I was surprised). Having said that, I won't get too specific on the steps, except provide clarification when needed.

Remove the hardware securing the kick panel under the Driver side dash.

Just angle down the panel and push forward toward the pedals. There will be more than enough room to work. No need to disconnect anything (contrary to some instructional videos).

Guide commentary:

Box Contents 1 of 1

When you do the inventory, set aside the following (pictured) as you won't be needing them and may just confuse you later on:
10 pin white connector (grey/black and grey/white wires)
12 pin black connector (white/green, grey, and brown/black wires)
Aftermarket hood switch and cable (black wire)
18 pin white connector - adapter cable (p/n ADS-HRNBMW01-2) (black wires and white wires)
The whole RF Kit - (black cable, blue cable, red and black wires, decoder box and antenna [ANT-2WSP])

Module Installation Procedure 1 of 1

Steps 1-4 - self explanatory
Step 5 - This step is completed at the following site after logging in. http://www.idatalink.com/weblink/. In order to be able to flash the module and expansion, you will need to set up a few things on your computer. Let's call these substeps:
Step 5a - Follow link and create an account. If you are not part of a shop, then select "Freelance Installer" as the company type. Follow on screen instructions. You may need to activate/validate account via email.
Step 5b - Log in to account using Internet Explorer (11 worked w/o issues). You will likely be prompted to install the Weblink plugin. Follow instructions. Webpage should refresh, but will say something along the lines of Weblink Cable not found. Disregard for now.
Step 5c - Plug in the Weblink Cable USB into your computer (do not plug in to module yet) and allow Windows to install drivers.
Step 5d - Restart computer
Step 5e - Plug in the Weblink Cable USB into your computer (if not already done so) then plug in to the Weblink port on the Module (not the expansion pack).
Step 5f - Follow link and log in to account using Internet Explorer. If everything is working correctly, green LEDs should illuminate on the Module and Expansion Pack (if red LEDs, unplug and repeat steps 5d-5e), and the page should refresh to show your Remote Starter and Expansion Pack. Note that those pictures are actually tabs which represent what is about to be flashed.
Step 5g - With Remote Starter tab selected, click the Flash By Vehicle tab. Select your vehicle.

Step 5h - If only using the factory remote, select "Factory remote", if using Drone Mobile, select "Compustar RF Kit and/or Drone", then click Next.

Step 5i - If you wish to change any default features, click Configure Features, otherwise click Flash!

Step 5j - A popup will appear reminding you to flash the Expansion Pack. You can close this window.

Step 5k - When flash is complete, you'll see a yellow message stating "KLON part 1 of 2 complete..." Before disconnecting, click Save To Favorites (this saves the firmware type and prevents you from having to select your vehicle again if you ever have to reset and reflash your Module).

Step 5l - Then click the Expansion Pack tab, then XP-BM1, then FLASH NOW! to flash the Expansion Pack.

Step 5m - Once Expansion Pack is flashed (and you've already completed the initial flash of the Module), unplug the Weblink from the Module, then continue to step 6.

Steps 6-12 - self explanatory

Step 13 - if using Drone Mobile, connect black cable/plug of Drone Mobile to the Blue Telematic Port on the Module. Otherwise, skip.
Step 14 - does not apply
Step 15-16 - self explanatory

Type 1 Wiring Diagram 1 of 1

Steps 1-3 - self explanatory
Step 4 - does not apply

Type 2 Wire Chart 1 of 1

Does not apply

Type 2 Wiring Diagram 1 of 1

Does not apply

Module Programming Procedure 1 of 1

Steps 1-8 - self explanatory (this process captures the key information in the module).
Step 9a - Reconnect Weblink Cable to Module. If you did not close the browser or log out, then click Re-Detect, otherwise log back in.
Step 9b - Click Proceed (this finishes flashing the key information to the Module).

Step 9c - A popup will appear again reminding you to flash the Expansion Module. You can close this window. Disregard message as you've already flashed the Expansion Pack.
Step 9d - "KLON part 2 of 2 complete..." Disconnect Weblink cable and proceed to step 10.

Steps 10-15 - self explanatory

Valet Mode Programming Procedure 1 of 1

I skipped this entirely as I don't care to use this feature, but the steps seem self explanatory

Aftermarket Remote Programming Procedure 1 of 1

I skipped this entirely as I don't care to use this feature, but the steps seem self explanatory (this applies to the key chain fobs, not Drone Mobile).

Module Navigation Procedure 1 of 1

Not required as you have access to change the controller settings when you flash the module.

The remainder of the guide is self explanatory.

Zip-tie excess wiring and place module in any available space that won't interfere with brake or steering operation. If need be, secure module with zip-tie(s).

Reinstall the kick panel under the Driver side dash.

NOTE:
If you installed the Drone Mobile module, you'll need to go to the Drone Mobile website and create an account/register your device. You also need to download the Drone Mobile app on your smartphone. If you made it this far, the onscreen steps should be self explanatory.

Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
comtrang
Workin' hard
Rep
Drives: '08 135i in AW/Terracotta

Very interesting, I'd almost be willing to do the full install just to be able to have a halfway decent working remote again. Nice job! Keep us updated on how it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
jimmie004
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Still going strong. No issues. So happy I did it...and at half the cost of what the shop wanted to charge.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:52 PM   #4
jimmie004
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Still no issues. I've noticed that if I start the car remotely then unlock it, I am able to keep the key in my pocket and drive (as though it has the comfort package). If it's not unlocked with the remote/drone (ie, if I'm already sitting in the car, then "remotely" start the car and attempt to put it in gear) then it shuts off.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie004 View Post
Still no issues. I've noticed that if I start the car remotely then unlock it, I am able to keep the key in my pocket and drive (as though it has the comfort package). If it's not unlocked with the remote/drone (ie, if I'm already sitting in the car, then "remotely" start the car and attempt to put it in gear) then it shuts off.
hey, i'm noticing that the expansion module isn't being detected on the weblink site and only the remote starter is detected. I can flash the expansion module if I plug the 4 pin connector directly to the expansion module itself. Did I get a defective unit?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Goku801
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 Single Turbo, 335i Sport

I tried to installed my last night, the car end up with a long crank, and wouldn't start. Help is needed
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
jimmie004
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989 View Post
hey, i'm noticing that the expansion module isn't being detected on the weblink site and only the remote starter is detected. I can flash the expansion module if I plug the 4 pin connector directly to the expansion module itself. Did I get a defective unit?
Sorry for the late reply. Didn't get a notification.

If I remember correctly, the the remote start and expansion are flashed independently by plugging in directly to each one. Seems as though yours is acting correctly. Hope you got it all figured out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku801 View Post
I tried to installed my last night, the car end up with a long crank, and wouldn't start. Help is needed
Sounds like an immobilizer issues, which I would guess that the key image didn't take.

First thing I would do is remove the remote starter and plug everything back to stock, then verify everything works as advertised. Then I would go through and reflash both the remote starter and expansion modules, along with redoing the module programming procedure to recapture the key. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
dannypwr
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Vert

sometimes when i remote start, and then refresh drone , it tells me the car is off , but it is actually running . Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
jimmie004
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Hmm. Not sure. I have had issues with a communication error at times, but that's about it. Might be worth giving tech support a call?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
desertfox85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

Will this work on a manual transmission?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
spain4065
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: EM1 and 08 135i

Bump for Manual Transmission as well...would like to know!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Probably not the best idea to put it on a manual transmission. That one day you leave the car in gear...boom.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #13
spain4065
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: EM1 and 08 135i

I had it on my EM1 (2000 Honda Civic SI) with no issues. YOU just have to remember to think and leave car in neutral with e-brake set. Worked fine with the Viper system.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #14
jimmie004
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'm not sure if it will work on a MT. I thought I heard at one point that remote start on MT was illegal because of the risk. However, I'm not one to judge, so if you attempt it, it's at your own risk!

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to use a safety switch that would prevent a start if the car were in gear. I did a similar thing in a VW I had with a 2 stage boost controller to limit boost when in 1st and then full boost in all other gears to limit lost traction off the line at the strip.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #15
gorilla
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Installed mine today.
Note there is a new desktop app with (mac and Windows versions).

Pretty good install video here:
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:58 AM   #16
Radiant
Rep
Drives: 135i

The video is really useful, described in detail and shown everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #17
123i
Rep
Drives: 123i

I had such a hard time installing this on my 6MT, not the installation of this, but the coding needed for a manual. The hardest part about actually installing the unit was mounting it in an E82 with a third pedal.
After many days of spending hours on the process I took it in to discover the unit was faulty.

With it installed, it's pretty good but it takes a long time between hitting the button in the drone app to the car actually starting. Longer than the Directed system on my 06 IS350, the Viper on my CRX, and all the Compustars I installed in all prior vehicles.
Does anyone else find it takes a long time and sometimes fails?
Appreciate 0