BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Nostrathomas
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3

Question Just can't decide...Sport or M-Sport?

Newby here, looking for a little advice.

I'm currently specing out a 128i for ED. I prefer my cars pretty simple, so the only real requirement is a sunroof and one of the sports packages. These specs (MSRP listed to show price similarity) come out to more of the same, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to decide between the two!

I know the basics….Manual, Crimson Red, Black Leatherette, Moonroof.

Now here's what Im trying to decide between:

Option 1:
-Sport Package
-Xenon's
-Alarm
MSRP 35,475

Pros: Get to include Xenons and Alarm. Prefer the Sport package rims over M rims.
Cons: Doesn't look as aggresive as the M…especially prefer the diffuser in the back. I like the look of the Xenon's and I'm sure they drive better too….but I'm not looking forward to the cost of replacing these things.

Option 2:
- M Sport Package
- Walnut trim
MSRP 35,325

Pros: I love the more aggressive exterior look of the M-package. The waltnut trim seems to be included free which is nice.
Cons: Don't really like the rims….prefer the Sport package ones. Personally don't really care about M-badged shifter or wheel….can take it or leave it.

Which would you get? Is the M package worth the extra bump in price? Or is it better to have xenons? Are xenon's worth the cost (especially in terms of maintenance cost)? Is the Alarm something I should even get, just for insurance purposes?

Any opinions are appreciated….
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
As long as you get one of the sports pkg's that is the important thing. But as for a vote, I'll vote for the "M" version. The steering wheel alone is just too great to pass up.
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

You need to order the car like i did ( except keep 6speed. )

My MSRP was 36,700

128i
M-sport
Sport Suspension
stand alone xenons
cold weather package ( if needed where you live)
NO premium Package.... BMW sunroof suck.. IMHO ( i needed helmet room also ) (piece meal what you need from package)
Manual Sport seats in leather due to M sport Package
M-sport steering wheel ( in my case with paddels)
Bluetooth / BMW assist
I got the value package which included usb /aux adaptor ( it was free)

add at the dealer.... ( not included in MSRP above )

Performance Brakes !!! its a world of difference if you plan on tracking and they look great

Rear 135 deck lid spoiler... looks great

Basic. simple, clean, lighter ...
      06-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

Option 1:
-Sport Package
-Xenon's
-Alarm
MSRP 35,475

Xenon lighting very good if not a requirement, love the M sport and have it my self, but except for the terrific steering wheel not really a requirement, alarm in the city is excellent piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Just get everything you want on it if you're going to all the trouble of ordering it. Do it right the first time. If you want the M-sport and sunroof (I hate these but whatever), xenon's and alarm, just get it all and be happy with your purchase even if it costs a tad more.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Nostrathomas
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Considering this is a custom order, I would get everything I want, however there are a couple of things from either package that aren't available on the other unfortunately. Trim wise, I prefer the gloss black, but it doesnt come with M Sport....and none of the M-trims really speak to me. Honestly the moonroof is the only real required option for me...I've always loved the extra natural light it gives and I think it makes smaller cars feel a little roomier because of it.

Part of me is actually now considering just the base 128i with no sport package at all.....but I'm not sure how different the suspension is with/without it. How much do the driving dynamics change with the sports suspension? I'm not going to track this car (just can't afford that type of risk for something that will be my only car) and I'm wondering for mostly city driving if it will get enough "spirited driving" time for it (and the seats) to be worth it.

I actually haven't seen any photos of the base 2012 128i with the new front bumpers though, which seem to have changed from the 2011 128i. I think I prefer the look of the older model, but it's hard to say based just on the Bmw Build-Your-Own site.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

The sport seats are considered a "must have" by almost everyone. The almost universal opinion is that the standard seats suck. Ditto the sport suspension. Luckily you get both with either ZSP (Sport) or ZMP (M-sport)

I think the new wheels on the regular sport package for 2012 are ugly, preferring either the base wheels, which are a little plain but clean looking, or the M-sports, which look lame in pictures but are actually pretty neat in person. True you cant get the piano black trim on the M-sport for whatever reason, but the trim parts are easy to swap and I bet being in a big city like that you could find someone to trade straight across (if you got the grey poplar or alum.) Or you can just get the regular sport and swap wheels if you don't think you want the extras that come with the M-sport but don't like the stock wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Nostrathomas
United_States
Rep

Ok, well from the sounds of it, I do need that sports suspension/wheel package after all.

If I get the Sports, maybe I can see if the dealer is willing to swap for the base wheels.... theoretically it should be cheaper, so hopefully he'll go for it.

The trim issue is not that big of a deal, but once you get into this custom order stuff, it's amazing how nitpicky you find yourself getting! I haven't actually seen the gray poplar in person yet....in some photos it looks nice, while on the BMW site it looks pretty horrible....I guess I'll just have to look around a bit. Who know's maybe I'll just go with alpine white!

Pretty amazing that the car doesn't come standard with an alarm and floor mats though....
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe this will help you decide... this is an old post of mine about the top speed limiter option #840, that comes with the M-Sport package.... but it also shows you/lists out what comes with each package. This is for the 135i though.

BMW M-sport option code 840 top speed limiter…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=top+speed+840

When ordering a new 2010 135i there are TWO sport options. (I think this was also the way it was for all model years: '08-'11's)

ZMP option code: $1,300 (Miltary Sales price) (can not be ordered with ZSP!) which includes

2MR 18" double spoke wheels #261M
337 M-sport pack, door strips in M, shifter & hand brake all M
481 Sport seats
710 M-sport steering wheel
760 Shadowline trim
775 Anthracite headliner (black)
840 Increased top speed limiter

the "other" sport option is this one: ZSP

ZSP Sport option $1,100 (mil price)

481 Sport seats
710 M-sport steering wheel
760 Shadowline trim
840 Increased top speed limiter

So... for a measly $200 you get the nice Anthracite headliner, M-double spoke wheels (same size as standard car though), M door sills and shifter/brake. I went with the ZMP on my car. I order my car thru Military Sales program. I think the US options were a $200 each more. ? I think the ZMP option is more rare from what I have seen over here. I had to special order my car the way I wanted it.

Good Luck,
Dackel

PS: IF you do not order the M-sport or sport options (and hence option #840) your car is limited to 210 kph (135mph). IF you HAVE option #840 your car is also limited but to 250 kph (155mph)!
Hope this help you out.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrathomas View Post
Ok, well from the sounds of it, I do need that sports suspension/wheel package after all.

If I get the Sports, maybe I can see if the dealer is willing to swap for the base wheels.... theoretically it should be cheaper, so hopefully he'll go for it.

The trim issue is not that big of a deal, but once you get into this custom order stuff, it's amazing how nitpicky you find yourself getting! I haven't actually seen the gray poplar in person yet....in some photos it looks nice, while on the BMW site it looks pretty horrible....I guess I'll just have to look around a bit. Who know's maybe I'll just go with alpine white!

Pretty amazing that the car doesn't come standard with an alarm and floor mats though....
You are making the right decision.
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
MAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325i & 128 M Sport

Get a 128 M sport. The aero package and steering wheel are worth it alone, plus I like the look of the fog lights vs. the 135. I ordered a 128 M sport and do not like the rims either, so I bought a set of 135 M sport rims from a fellow 1 Addicts member. There are a ton of 135 wheels for sale here. Use the 128 rims for snows or sell them.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
sonus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 128i

I ordered a similar car to yours. It hasn't arrived yet but I can give you some reasons why I chose what I did.

I got:
  • 128i - no HPFP to die, $4-5k cheaper than a 135i, enjoyable and usable power around the city, and slightly better MPG
  • Montego blue
  • Taupe leatherette
    • black gets hot, and I thought taupe made the interior seem more roomy
    • leather costs more and seems like a pain to upkeep, plus it wrinkles almost unavoidably over time
  • HK Sound - thought it'd be fun to have a car with nice sound for once
  • Moonroof - lets in more light, more air, seems fun in summer
  • BMW Assist/Bluetooth - Automatically included with HK. Bluetooth seems nice though.
  • Cold weather package - Because it gets cold in Boston, and I hate the cold. I wanted heated seats and a heated steering wheel.
  • Convenience package
    • I liked the idea of Xenons, and everyone said they're great.
    • Xenons come with angel eyes, which I like the look of. No angel eyes with halogens.
    • Comes with the alarm, seemed like a good idea for the city
    • Comfort access seemed like a cool gadgety feature. And besides, if I just got Xenons + Alarm, it was actually MORE EXPENSIVE than the damn Convenience Package.
  • Sport package
    • Suspension is upgraded and tighter, seems required for a sporty coupe
    • Seats are AWESOME. See if you can compare regular vs sport at a dealer, I just thought the sport ones were way more comfortable. Inflatable side bolsters (even on manual seats) to keep you in place, and that nifty extendable thigh support for comfort are probably my favorite bits.
  • Not M-Sport...
    • It costs significantly more than the Sport pkg on the 128i
    • Essentially is Sport + body kit + steering wheel - (heated wheel)
    • I didn't like the idea of paying more AND losing that heated steering wheel
  • Not Premium...
    • I didn't want leather
    • Comes with power seats, which I think would be a pain in a coupe. If I need to put something in the back, BZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and 2 minutes later my seat is forward. Then BZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz and I can sit down and drive away. I know, there's that lever that tilts the back forward, but if that's not enough room I've got a long wait :P

The M-Sport steering wheel IS very nice though. Too bad they couldn't run some heating wires through it. I debated that one for a while, but ultimately I realized I'd be paying a bunch more for a body kit and I felt like I'd regret losing the heated wheel. And I figure if I go through a winter and realize I don't use it, I can swap in an M-Sport wheel without too much hassle.

I wasn't crazy about the black trim, but then, I wasn't really crazy about any of them. Black is free though. Maybe I'll wrap it with that 3M carbon fiber vinyl stuff.

Last edited by sonus; 06-20-2011 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Nostrathomas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAR View Post
Get a 128 M sport. The aero package and steering wheel are worth it alone, plus I like the look of the fog lights vs. the 135. I ordered a 128 M sport and do not like the rims either, so I bought a set of 135 M sport rims from a fellow 1 Addicts member. There are a ton of 135 wheels for sale here. Use the 128 rims for snows or sell them.
Good point, I see quite a lot of wheels for sale on the forum. I love the look of the 264 wheels.

Ok, I'm starting to get a more solid grasp of what I want. This has been very helpful... thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
Nostrathomas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonus View Post
ITaupe leatherette
black gets hot, and I thought taupe made the interior seem more roomy
I was curious about the taupe for the same reason, but I think in the end I'll stick with the black. I currently drive a Saab 9-3 with a similar look (taupe interior and black dash) and while it definitely feels more airy and light, it doesn't look as sporty as I'd like.....but that might just be the Saab itself.

I kind of wish they had a Black dash, grey leatherette option....but I guess you can't have it all.

Btw, how do you like the front bumper of the 2012 128i? In official photos, the old one feels a little more aggressive, but I haven't seen the new one in person yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I would get M-Sport and Xenons.
      06-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
MAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325i & 128 M Sport

I like the look of the two tone gray/black interior but it's an expensive option. I also want HK but do not want Bluetooth also for an extra $750. So I am torn about those two options. I am getting Xenons, sunroof and heated seats though. I may get the taupe 'ette and the HK/Bluetooth package.

I like the look of the new 128 base model but I like the M sport's aero package better.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

BMW options are pricey. You can easily add 5-10K in the bat of an eyelash. What can you afford??? Decide then stick to your guns.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
sonus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrathomas View Post
I kind of wish they had a Black dash, grey leatherette option....but I guess you can't have it all.

Btw, how do you like the front bumper of the 2012 128i? In official photos, the old one feels a little more aggressive, but I haven't seen the new one in person yet.
Black on grey would be nice. Oh well :/

I preferred the 2011 style front bumper with the rectangular fog lights and the eyebrowless headlights. But the new look isn't bad either. The new fogs and air inlet in the bumper remind me a little too much of a Subaru Legacy though.
Appreciate 0