BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
DS mode gone

Hey everyone, last night I was driving my 2010 135i along the highway and wanted to make a quick pass so I put the 6AT in DS mode and.. nothing happened. No DS indicator on the dash, no throttle/shift mapping difference, and the manual mode on the lever wasn't working. The paddles still work. My DS mode and manual mode are gone. I did a quick search on google and came across some posts from years back where some people said it was just a loose harness, others said they had to replace the entire shift assembly. Any ideas? I'm not really mechanically inclined at all so I don't know where to begin
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 6MT

Time for a 6MT swap?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
I'm not really mechanically inclined at all so I don't know where to begin
Take the car to a shop and pay money, or try to find someone on forums or craigslist and hope they know what they're doing and don't render your car undriveable.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
08135IFL
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 135i Coupe

The tiny wires in the shifting mechanism loom in the console are broken. Very common problem. I just fixed mine last month for literally like $1 and 3 hours time tearing the console apart. Find videos on youtube and Google search broken wires, etc... Take it to a shop and they will replace the entire shifter assembly for a grand.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
So I just removed the gear lever and boot and checked the wires. Nothing looks torn or worn out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
08135IFL
Private
Rep

Did you remove the console and white shield to the right of the gear lever, undo the black tape and inspect the wiring inside?
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      09-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08135IFL View Post
Did you remove the console and white shield to the right of the gear lever, undo the black tape and inspect the wiring inside?
Quote:
Not yet. I do have an aftermarket warranty on the car so I'm contemplating just getting it fixed through them instead of fiddling with the wires and potentially revoking my warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

I have an extra auto tranny shifter. Worked perfectly before my MT swap let me know if you end up needing it
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rominun View Post
I have an extra auto tranny shifter. Worked perfectly before my MT swap let me know if you end up needing it
Quote:
Thanks man! I'll definitely let you know if I need it
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:28 PM   #10
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks man! I'll definitely let you know if I need it
Sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
So I took my car in to BMW for my airbag recall and the shifter issue. I thought my aftermarket warranty would cover the shifter issue. It didn't. BMW said the issue was due to the GWS module? Have any of you had any experience with this module? They wanted 1200 for the repair and I politely rejected.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #12
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
So I took my car in to BMW for my airbag recall and the shifter issue. I thought my aftermarket warranty would cover the shifter issue. It didn't. BMW said the issue was due to the GWS module? Have any of you had any experience with this module? They wanted 1200 for the repair and I politely rejected.
Doubt it's the GWS module. If it was, I don't think your car will start. Tear apart the console again. Something in the gear shifter is more than likely the issue especially that your paddle shifters still work.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
08135IFL
Private
Rep

Remove the white plastic shield off of the passenger side of the shifter base. Undo the black tape from the bundle of wires twisting around the 90° bends under the shield. I'd bet money some of the wires inside that bundle are broken. It's very common.

Carefully splice the broken wires back together, buy some heat shrink sleeves (put the sleeve on the wire before you splice) slide them over the newly connected wires and shrink them over the connection (I used a quick lighter flame). I actually cut and spliced additional wires that looked imperfect. Leave the wires bundled together but do not rewrap tightly in their original location. I left mine outside the shield. Reassemble the console after you verify it works (must connect all electrical plugs though)

Enjoy your DS mode again for an afternoon of work and literally a buck.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Quote:
Doubt it's the GWS module. If it was, I don't think your car will start. Tear apart the console again. Something in the gear shifter is more than likely the issue especially that your paddle shifters still work.
Yeah I looked it up after he told me and I should be having way more issues than just a missing DS mode if it was that module
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #15
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Remove the white plastic shield off of the passenger side of the shifter base. Undo the black tape from the bundle of wires twisting around the 90° bends under the shield. I'd bet money some of the wires inside that bundle are broken. It's very common.

Carefully splice the broken wires back together, buy some heat shrink sleeves (put the sleeve on the wire before you splice) slide them over the newly connected wires and shrink them over the connection (I used a quick lighter flame). I actually cut and spliced additional wires that looked imperfect. Leave the wires bundled together but do not rewrap tightly in their original location. I left mine outside the shield. Reassemble the console after you verify it works (must connect all electrical plugs though)

Enjoy your DS mode again for an afternoon of work and literally a buck.
I'm going to carve out an afternoon and take another good look, thank you for that walk through
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #16
08135IFL
Private
Rep

Mine went out at ~90k miles. The feeling of fixing it yourself for essentially free compared to paying the dealer $1,000 for a whole new assembly is just glorious for the soul. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #17
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Mine went out at ~90k miles. The feeling of fixing it yourself for essentially free compared to paying the dealer $1,000 for a whole new assembly is just glorious for the soul. Good luck!
Mine went out at 30k miles. And yeah there's no better feeling than accomplishing something like that yourself
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Okay so the weirdest thing just happened. I flashed MHD V8 and when I started my car and put it into drive, the car kept going into 3rd and wouldn't let me move. I then reflashed the car and same deal. Then I tried moving the shifter over to the left and lo and behold, it worked. I have my Sport mode and manual lever shift back. I don't know how or why. After that I drove around expecting to have transmission issues because of the whole starting in third thing but nope, car is shifting perfectly now and the M/S in back. Super bizarre. Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #19
08135IFL
Private
Rep

Could be intermittent contact. Who knows. Give it time.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #20
Kheadley
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Msport 2013

Quote:
Hey everyone, last night I was driving my 2010 135i along the highway and wanted to make a quick pass so I put the 6AT in DS mode and.. nothing happened. No DS indicator on the dash, no throttle/shift mapping difference, and the manual mode on the lever wasn't working. The paddles still work. My DS mode and manual mode are gone. I did a quick search on google and came across some posts from years back where some people said it was just a loose harness, others said they had to replace the entire shift assembly. Any ideas? I'm not really mechanically inclined at all so I don't know where to begin
It's most definitely the wires, there is a forum post on this. I guarantee that if you pull on some of the wires one will come loose. Every time you shift into ds mode that wire is pulled and will eventually rip. I had the same problem and ended up reconnecting the wire and it worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #21
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheadley View Post
Quote:
It's most definitely the wires, there is a forum post on this. I guarantee that if you pull on some of the wires one will come loose. Every time you shift into ds mode that wire is pulled and will eventually rip.
It strangely started working again a couple weeks ago and it's still working now
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #22
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheadley View Post
Quote:
It's most definitely the wires, there is a forum post on this. I guarantee that if you pull on some of the wires one will come loose. Every time you shift into ds mode that wire is pulled and will eventually rip.
It strangely started working again a couple weeks ago and it's still working now
everytine you flash a mhd map on the very first start the car starts in 3rd gear until you hit 4th then it goes down to 1st like normal....

dont wanna ruin your exciting moment of it comming back but it will break down again i already repaired mine 2 times its a very common issue and it is definetly whats causing your problem
Appreciate 0