BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
one&only35is
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e82 135is

135is owners

so ive had my car for about two months now from bob smith bmw and i can't seem to figure out whats causing the rattle in my exhaust. it only happens when the car is cold around 1.5-1.7k rpm. its been like this for a month or so now.. any ideas? and yes i know i can take my car in for service, but i rather not knowing how pacific bmw loves new 1 series'
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Does the 135is have the same exhaust as the Dinan 'performance' exhaust?
      05-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Sleeps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is LBM 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [10.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by one&only35is View Post
so ive had my car for about two months now from bob smith bmw and i can't seem to figure out whats causing the rattle in my exhaust. it only happens when the car is cold around 1.5-1.7k rpm. its been like this for a month or so now.. any ideas? and yes i know i can take my car in for service, but i rather not knowing how pacific bmw loves new 1 series'
I have not heard any rattle from my exhaust so far. Is your car a MT or DCT? I have a MT and sometimes i can hear my clutch chatter when idol and in neutral.
/// BMW 135is Coupe #51/586 | Le Mans Blue | MT | BB Leather w/ Blue Stitching | Glacier Aluminum | Premium Package | Heated Seats | HK
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
Does the 135is have the same exhaust as the Dinan 'performance' exhaust?
Nope, they have the BMW Performance exhaust.

OP, can you post a video ? My PE makes a different sound when the engine is cold as well, but nothing that I dislike
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
roxig226
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is Coupe

New member here. Purchased my 135is coupe w/DCT in September. I'll tell you what my experience has been and what I think the problem is.

On cold start everything sounds fine. Start driving and every time I hit a slight bump in the road there is a (maybe multiple) "clunk" that sounds like it's coming from underneath the passenger seat. After about 5 minutes the problem goes away except when I hit a large bump when decelerating with no throttle.

After the car has sat for maybe an hour and started there is a rattle when reversing and then the same "clunking" sounds when hitting bumps in the road. Once again, it stops after about 5 minutes.

After several trips under the vehicle I noticed one of the exhaust pipes was touching a "dished" steel plate in the center of the vehicle. The two exhaust tubes cross over this plate just before the "Y" pipe. I think that after the exhaust heats up and expands it is no longer resting on the plate, until it cools off again.

To see if that was the case I placed a rubber exhaust hanger between the plate and the tube that was touching it. I cold started the car and took several short trips. Silence! No more clunking sound. That seemed to eliminate the problem. I didn't leave the rubber piece there for fear it would melt and/or possibly ignite after the exhaust reached a higher temperature.

I assume the exhaust system can be adjusted to eliminate the problem. I will eventually take it back to the dealer now that I have identified the problem. About a month after I got the car it was back at the dealer but they "could not duplicate" the problem. And the salesman told me all the is's make the noise I described. Right.

Maybe this can help you. I love the car except for this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

I have a rattle at the RPM the OP mentioned. No clunks, just an occasional rattle/resonance just below 2k rpm. Sounds like a heat shield but not that blatant.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0