BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Cobb + BMS WW Meth Kit Dyno Testing!

Hey guys,

Since Cobb + meth has been a hot topic lately I thought some of you would be interested to see how it performs on the dyno. Runs were done with the WW kit using a basic boost switch type setup, and then with the JB4 doing progressive control.

Quote:
Test car and relevant mods: 2008 135i step, CPE downpipes, CL midpipes, BMS DCI, eBay version "big tom" intercooler, 93 octane, mid 70s in the dyno room.

1) Overall the Cobb S2+ v3.01 ST tuning on pump gas was expected and performed similar to last time I tested it. Several runs had odd boost control oscillations so I just disregarded those for the purposes of this post.

2) There seems to be some sort of persistent under targeting going on at higher RPM. At one point boost is around 5psi below target. I'm not sure if this is by design, or a tuning issue, but is worth noting. Perhaps under real world EGTs during a very long run boost would be closer to target given the duty cycles set.

3) Using our basic WW non-integrated kit we saw noticeable gains. Due to the cooler intake temps the meth provides the target was a bit lower. Peak power was up across the board 10hp or so. On the road I expect real world gains would be even more significant. For this run I used a CM10 nozzle with 80% meth which I happened to have on the car from earlier JB4+meth testing. Real world I'd suggest a CM5 or CM7 nozzle with this setup. Also note for these runs I accidentally left the JB4 boost targeting enabled so it was attempting to add duty cycle to compensate for the Cobb under-targeting. But there is no other tuning going on with those runs.

4) For the JB4 controlled testing I used the JB4 to dynamically add boost to the Cobb target as a function of methanol flow. Allowing for a safe fully progressive boost ramp up with nice street manners. Gains were fairly significant but again the car was unable to reach the set target even with the JB4 helping pull the wastegates closed. Given the advance curve I think the output is pretty decent and this power would be "heat soak" resistant and very safe/stable for general use.

5) I did a lot of dyno testing on JB4 and JB4+meth but to avoid the inevitable tuner wars I'll post that in another thread tomorrow. This thread is for Cobb and Cobb + meth results discussion only!

Appreciate 0