BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Rotor wear -- track

For those of you running PFC pads on the track, is it common to start developing a lip on the front rotors? I'm noticing one I can actually feel, about 1 cm from the outermost edge of the rotor. (14k miles, OEM, 6 track days, 3 with PFC08s...)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

And I suppose the corollary to this question would be: how many miles are people who track their car getting out of a set of OEM rotors?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
And I suppose the corollary to this question would be: how many miles are people who track their car getting out of a set of OEM rotors?
a lip developing on rotors is common, yes. I run mine till they develop cracks. My car has been on 11 different tracks. Probably a total of 25 track days plus autocross. I have run stock and PFC-01 pads in the past. Hoping to burn through current set of pads (PFC-Z) and get new pads and rotors soon. 18K miles.

Apparently I must be the only one that brakes properly or I got a good set of rotors because I have had zero issues, and I see many threads about a " known issue " with pads or rotors. Stock pads are able to haul the car down from 150 to 60 easily with no drama. Track pads have a better bite and more pedal feel.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-02-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
a lip developing on rotors is common, yes. I run mine till they develop cracks. My car has been on 11 different tracks. Probably a total of 25 track days plus autocross. I have run stock and PFC-01 pads in the past. Hoping to burn through current set of pads (PFC-Z) and get new pads and rotors soon. 18K miles.

Apparently I must be the only one that brakes properly or I got a good set of rotors because I have had zero issues, and I see many threads about a " known issue " with pads or rotors. Stock pads are able to haul the car down from 150 to 60 easily with no drama. Track pads have a better bite and more pedal feel.
It's interesting because when I look at the lip there is actually PFC pad overlying that portion of rotor. I'm slapping the stockers back on and so my primary concern is that there will be vibration under braking, etc. We'll see.

I'd have to agree that the stock setup is solid. I noticed fade with the OEM pads on track but nothing that was dramatic. Pedal feel is definitely improved with the PFCs, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

OEM pads back on, bedded.

No vibrations, stops fine, drives like when she was new.
Appreciate 0