E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > how fast is the new 330 in the real world?

12-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #45
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

Actually, the 300c, magnum and Charger all run about 6 flat to 60, thanks to the slushboxes attached to them (and their 3800+ lb). A Neon SRT4 will give a 330i a good run in a straight line. Oh, and let's not forget the Toyota Avalon. The newest ones hit 60 in under 6.

If you really want to be embarrassed, how about the Chevy trailblazer SS with a low 14's and around 97mph in the quarter? It's probably drag limited past 100, but it's pretty fast off the line.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #46
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

It's interesting to see how the Japanese makes are putting the pressure on German cars in terms of power. Especially surprising is Toyota, putting their new 3.5 into the Avalon, IS, new RAV4 (expected 0-60 in under 7), upcoming Camry/ES (rumor...which if true, would make it faster than Avalon), future GS350. Not to mention the 3.5 VQ in varous Nissan/Infiniti models that already put pressure, and Acura's screaming 3.2L V6 in the TL/RL (I say screaming since they make power at high revs).

The Germans have their 6 cylinder engines making power around 255hp, i.e. 330, A4 3.2, C350, and their midsize counterparts (530, A6 3.2, E350). Among the Germans, the competition is close, with MB pulling ahead going straight. But on a world scale, Japan is really putting on the pressure in the 6-cylinder segment. The Germans have the V8 and higher engines on lockdown (for now...). The only reason BMW is supposedly making a 335 is to basically respond to Japanese ~300hp competition.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #47
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I forgot about VW Passat 3.6...another car putting up 0-60 times faster than most German [edit: 6-cylinder] cars. I guess we can expect to see Audi using that engine in the A4 or something, especially when the 335 comes out. Which would leave MB behind, unless they have some tricks of their own up their sleeve (like forced induction )
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #48
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmde786
The only reason BMW is supposedly making a 335 is to basically respond to Japanese ~300hp competition.
I second that. I was gonna say that but it slipped my mind. I used to always think that Toyotas have low HP. Then they came out with the Tundra V8 (new one). It has like 280hp?? then when the Avalon came out i was starting to suspect that they are entering the HP-war. I guessed that the new 3.5L was gonna b in the new RAV4 months before Edmunds released it. Toyota is putting bigger engines in all their cars from now on.

Predictions
2.4L in the corolla, xA,xB, Matrix, Camry
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #49
wheeler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
I second that. I was gonna say that but it slipped my mind. I used to always think that Toyotas have low HP. Then they came out with the Tundra V8 (new one). It has like 280hp?? then when the Avalon came out i was starting to suspect that they are entering the HP-war. I guessed that the new 3.5L was gonna b in the new RAV4 months before Edmunds released it. Toyota is putting bigger engines in all their cars from now on.

Predictions
2.4L in the corolla, xA,xB, Matrix, Camry
Damn, I hope Toyota changes the design of the Rav4 before they up the HP that much. I had a '03, and it was the most unstable platform I ever owned.

Thats the trouble with the horsepower war. It takes the whole package to make it worthwhile. Otherwise you just have cars like the IS 350. Plenty of power, but a car that can't handle it. I got the need for that kind of car out of my system years ago with a '69 Roadrunner. Damned thing would sh-- in a straight line. Just pray you don't have to turn or stop.

So even though my 330i isn't lightning fast, I still tear up 99% of the cars I go up against, especially if there's a curve in the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #50
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmde786
But on a world scale, Japan is really putting on the pressure in the 6-cylinder segment. The Germans have the V8 and higher engines on lockdown (for now...). The only reason BMW is supposedly making a 335 is to basically respond to Japanese ~300hp competition.
Japanese vehicles own 4cyl. And now they are seriously taking over the 6cyl segment.
As for V8, I think you should hand it to domestics.
So what do we germans have? to show-off? nothing.
thats why we always bring up excuses like "we have well balanced blah blah bullshit".

And yes, BMW did say they will not lose in a horsepower race.

riiiiight.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 11:31 PM   #51
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Fast to me is a jet being launched off of an aircraft carrier using the steam catapult. everything else seems slow after that.
      12-18-2005, 12:12 AM   #52
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Damn, I hope Toyota changes the design of the Rav4 before they up the HP that much. I had a '03, and it was the most unstable platform I ever owned.

Thats the trouble with the horsepower war. It takes the whole package to make it worthwhile. Otherwise you just have cars like the IS 350. Plenty of power, but a car that can't handle it. I got the need for that kind of car out of my system years ago with a '69 Roadrunner. Damned thing would sh-- in a straight line. Just pray you don't have to turn or stop.

So even though my 330i isn't lightning fast, I still tear up 99% of the cars I go up against, especially if there's a curve in the road.
The RAV4 is going to be totally new from the ground up. And the IS350 can handle, but the 330 is simply better (to say the least)
Appreciate 0