07-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

According to the general manual (128i - 135i) the trunk lid should also feature an "Emergency Release". Got to check if my car has it too. Can someone shed his light ?

Attachment 1063207
@ozinaldo

The emergency release - is only for US Spec cars. Its mandated by US Law now(like TPMS is). Too many kids playing in trunks and getting locked in I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 03:07 AM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Additional question: what is the car still capable of doing when the battery is disconnected ? Needless to say that I'm referring to its electronics (physical key to [un]lock the door I guess). I never tried, actually.
Nothing works. The car is dead. That is why IF you close the trunk... your SOL, since bmw stopped installing a mechanical lock cylinder on the trunk/lid(post 2009 cars/1ers).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #25
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nothing works. The car is dead. That is why IF you close the trunk... your SOL, since bmw stopped installing a mechanical lock cylinder on the trunk/lid(post 2009 cars/1ers).
Leave the rear seats down and don't get too fat to squeeze in and manually release the trunk!

I was wondering about the odor/humidity issue but a lot of 1M's like Jay-K are in tropical locations and I haven't heard of them going moldy. Will they let you put a small coffee can of desiccant in the car? It's probably overkill but it popped into my head because I'm OCD about these sorts of things.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Stu1M
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
So if the 1M is not US spec how to you release the trunk from the inside with the battery disconnected? Even with the rear seat down it will be very tricky to reconnect the battery without opening the trunk...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu1M View Post
So if the 1M is not US spec how to you release the trunk from the inside with the battery disconnected? Even with the rear seat down it will be very tricky to reconnect the battery without opening the trunk...
I know, I will make sure it is possible before doing that. If not, or any doubts in regard then I will ask them secure the trunk in a way that it won't be fully open and loose all that voyage but also won't be possible to lock accidently too (maybe some large/fat tape on the locking area etc.).
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Are you gonna leave the wheel lock inside the trunk ? OK, the transport company is not supposed to change a tire, but what if the car encounters a flat tire during the journey ?
      07-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #29
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Stu, are you saying that non-US E82 do not have an emergency release handle in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Correct. That is why I mention this. You'd have to be one heck of a BMW mechainc/lock smith to pull that one off.

Your best bet, is once the trunk is OPEN... take a screw driver or something metal and spin the latch partially closed on the trunk lid. Use your tool as the striker pin on the locking latch mechanism. That will keep the trunk adjar. But that will also let in dust/dirt/grime into the car.

I think the best bet is to leave the battery connected.

I wonder IF you could power the car from the cigarette lighter - when the negative terminal is disconnected from the battery? Might be worth testing at home.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #31
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Correct. That is why I mention this. You'd have to be one heck of a BMW mechainc/lock smith to pull that one off.

Your best bet, is once the trunk is OPEN... take a screw driver or something metal and spin the latch partially closed on the trunk lid. Use your tool as the striker pin on the locking latch mechanism. That will keep the trunk adjar. But that will also let in dust/dirt/grime into the car.

I wonder IF you could power the car from the cigarette lighter - when the negative terminal is disconnected from the battery? Might be worth testing at home.

Dack
If non-US E82 do not have the emergency trunk release, there's still no risk in having a disconnected battery with a (accidentally) closed trunk: You'd open the car with the mechanical key and then the hood. Then connect a second battery or charger to the starting aid terminals and you will be able to open the trunk with the key fob (as usual).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
If non-US E82 do not have the emergency trunk release, there's still no risk in having a disconnected battery with a (accidentally) closed trunk: You'd open the car with the mechanical key and then the hood. Then connect a second battery or charger to the starting aid terminals and you will be able to open the trunk with the key fob (as usual).
Are you sure? I seem to remember people posting some horror stories about disconnecting their battery and then accidentally closing the trunk, only to have the car towed to a bmw dealer for them to break into the trunk, by laying inside the trunk thru the folded rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #33
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Bob The Builder rescuing the car keys...

07-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #34
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure? I seem to remember people posting some horror stories about disconnecting their battery and then accidentally closing the trunk, only to have the car towed to a bmw dealer for them to break into the trunk, by laying inside the trunk thru the folded rear seats.
Not 100%, as I did not have to do this myself, I read this in some E9X forum (some time ago, no link). I'll give it a try tomorrow (without the trunk closed ) Anyone else is welcome to beat me to it.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #35
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Not 100%, as I did not have to do this myself, I read this in some E9X forum (some time ago, no link). I'll give it a try tomorrow (without the trunk closed ) Anyone else is welcome to beat me to it.
Nice that my modest transport advice seeking thread became a venue for promoting scientific research

I am looking fwd to hear your findings naturally.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #36
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Are you gonna leave the wheel lock inside the trunk ? OK, the transport company is not supposed to change a tire, but what if the car encounters a flat tire during the journey ?
I am going to take the wheel locking nut, manual of the car, cd changer magazine, phone cable, tire sealant and compressor too, anything and everything.

I don't see how a car can get flat tire while inside a big container exclusive for my things; it will be sealed, I will put the car in (or definitely be there with them while they put it in) and will take photos of the car inside and outside including odometer. Even the day that Portuguese customs opens (if they do, they might pass because diplomatic) the container at the arrival port I don't think they will take the car out for anything more than parking it somewhere at the facility.

I will definitely annoy many people in customs here and there. I think annoying other people works like a charm in an essentially screwed World.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 07-22-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #37
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:

Dack
My car has non-smoker pack and I can not leave the battery connected inside the container, they made it clear. I will make sure trunk can not be accidentally closed and will put a car cover on the car for the voyage.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:52 AM   #38
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Quote:
I can confirm this with a US spec 1M. While I was changing my stock steering wheel to a performance wheel. I accidentally locked my trunk after I disconnected the battery. I opened the hood and simply connected a secondary battery positive to the positive terminal/negative to ground and pressed the trunk button above the hood release to open.
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #39
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Nice that my modest transport advice seeking thread became a venue for promoting scientific research

I am looking fwd to hear your findings naturally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover View Post
I can confirm this with a US spec 1M. While I was changing my stock steering wheel to a performance wheel. I accidentally locked my trunk after I disconnected the battery. I opened the hood and simply connected a secondary battery positive to the positive terminal/negative to ground and pressed the trunk button above the hood release to open.
Hi Oz, sorry that I have not been able to do this today, fortunately our 1addicts support group has member 671rover, who confirmed my on-paper research.

To be 100% sure on a EU spec 1M, hopefully you have time to check this yourself, although measures that the trunk cannot lock are of course best.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #40
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Hi Oz, sorry that I have not been able to do this today, fortunately our 1addicts support group has member 671rover, who confirmed my on-paper research.

To be 100% sure on a EU spec 1M, hopefully you have time to check this yourself, although measures that the trunk cannot lock are of course best.
Thanks eeghie, I appreciate...but most curious thing happened and car is 99.99% sold a few hours ago, unless this guy wakes up in the morning as a totally different person, he is coming to my work first thing in the morning to leave a fat deposit so that I can prepare the rest of documents and finalize sale. Just days before I sign transport contract and pay the shipping company and after waiting almost 3 months for a deal that I could accept.

I hope this thread serves for others who may need all this info in the future.

I am sick to my stomach too
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #41
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
No, not bc of theft but to not have to have a drain on the battery. I know when I leave a usb stick in my car and I lock it... the little led on the stick still flashes for quite some time. Also when I had my sw tune loaded... my German tuner removed the USB stick, as not to cause a further drain on the car's battery.
I would certainly take that out, for a couple of reasons. I would expect that the power sockets (together with glovebox, audio and trunk lights) are cut-off once the car enters sleep mode. Next time i'm driving out and I have ~16 minutes to kill, I'll check on that as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #42
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
... most curious thing happened and car is 99.99% sold a few hours ago, unless this guy wakes up in the morning as a totally different person, he is coming to my work first thing in the morning to leave a fat deposit so that I can prepare the rest of documents and finalize sale. Just days before I sign transport contract and pay the shipping company and after waiting almost 3 months for a deal that I could accept.

I hope this thread serves for others who may need all this info in the future.

I am sick to my stomach too
Noooo, who here wasn't living vicariously through that Chilean family road trip of yours and awaiting the Iberian version of it ... .
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #43
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Noooo, who here wasn't living vicariously through that Chilean family road trip of yours and awaiting the Iberian version of it ... .
Unfortunately, those Iberian road trips will be in a Porsche Macan S diesel or X4 35d that I will buy for my wife (also keeping those trips in mind). Should help keeping the inevitable therapy costs down a bit. Slept like shit yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #44
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, those Iberian road trips will be in a Porsche Macan S diesel or X4 35d that I will buy for my wife (also keeping those trips in mind). Should help keeping the inevitable therapy costs down a bit. Slept like shit yesterday.

You will regret this decision...

+2 on those great Chilean(and future Iberian) family road trip stories!
Appreciate 0