BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Hood Latch Cable Adjustment?

Anyone who can help.

Had my hood cable latch fail on me this weekend, source was the junction box jiggled itself loose.

I placed the box back in where it came out of, and now experiencing the cable and latch are far in the travel to barely get the hood open.

Any way to adjust the tension on the cable to have the hood release earlier within the pull range? I've tried looking around and can't find anything that pops out showing me adjustment
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Had this same issue. Hood latch got progressively harder to pull to open the hood.
Took it to the dealer and they said the cable was rusting and if it snaps the cost would be more to fix. So I had them replace the cable before it snapped.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

My junction box broke on me a couple weekends ago during a very hot ax. The point at which the hood opened in the handle's travel has progressively went up and up like you describe. I believe the tabs in the junction box bending are the source of this and will eventually give way. Probably best to source a new latch-side cable (or whatever side has the box)
      08-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Mine requires a pretty good tug, too... and it might be getting worse. Where/what is this "junction box"?
      08-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
My junction box broke on me a couple weekends ago during a very hot ax. The point at which the hood opened in the handle's travel has progressively went up and up like you describe. I believe the tabs in the junction box bending are the source of this and will eventually give way. Probably best to source a new latch-side cable (or whatever side has the box)
Box is really independent of the two cables. Dunno if they are associated with a specific part cable part number or not, but both cables are okay.

Zip ties have already solved the junction box getting loose again...and even if it does the cables will stay relative to that location so hood release will be ok
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
drunkenup
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Box is really independent of the two cables. Dunno if they are associated with a specific part cable part number or not, but both cables are okay.

Zip ties have already solved the junction box getting loose again...and even if it does the cables will stay relative to that location so hood release will be ok
It may be independent but it appears you can only buy it with the front half of the hood cable. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ik8RoCli7w_wcB

The reason I suggest getting a new box if it opens so late in the handle travel is because as soon as I bent those rear end tabs straight again, the handle popped the hood open right at the bottom where it should be. An instructor at my ax pointed out the problem and how it occurred several times on his wive's e90.
      08-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It may be independent but it appears you can only buy it with the front half of the hood cable. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ik8RoCli7w_wcB

The reason I suggest getting a new box if it opens so late in the handle travel is because as soon as I bent those rear end tabs straight again, the handle popped the hood open right at the bottom where it should be. An instructor at my ax pointed out the problem and how it occurred several times on his wive's e90.
But the box is back in the OE location, and hasn't shifted. Simply resetting the lock with the hook open and activating it you can see that the box isn't shifting.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I had this problem where the hood release was really hard to pull to pop the hood. Eventually, I couldn't even get the hood to pop open. Brought the car in to the dealer and the tech diagnosed the problem as a badly stretched hood release cable. Got it replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
drunkenup
Captain
Rep

Quote:
But the box is back in the OE location, and hasn't shifted. Simply resetting the lock with the hook open and activating it you can see that the box isn't shifting.
I should clarify, I'm not referring to the tabs holding the box to the body, if you open the box there are these tabs that hold the outer shield of the rear cable in place while the inner cable pulls the hook inside. Those are the bending tabs I am talking about.

The box itself could remain 100% fixed to the car but the inside tabs I believe are causing the handle issue

08-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I should clarify, I'm not referring to the tabs holding the box to the body, if you open the box there are these tabs that hold the outer shield of the rear cable in place while the inner cable pulls the hook inside. Those are the bending tabs I am talking about.

The box itself could remain 100% fixed to the car but the inside tabs I believe are causing the handle issue

Ah yes,

Under review last night...the inside was exposed from the shield. The specific wire was the one running from the engine bay to the cabin. I'm going to try to re-band it or something before replacing that one...because it looks like a PITA
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
drunkenup
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes,

Under review last night...the inside was exposed from the shield. The specific wire was the one running from the engine bay to the cabin. I'm going to try to re-band it or something before replacing that one...because it looks like a PITA
Yeah, the shield on my rear half cable was peeling back too. I haven't received my parts yet but I read the best way is to just tape the new cable to the old one and just fish it back through.