BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
mpukas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

replacing stock stereo

Hi all - noob here.

I curently have an 06 330xi, and I am seriously considering a used 2008 135i. There are many on the market w/ low miles at very good prices. There are also many that have very few options - sport package & iPod - and that's what I'm lookign for - really basic. However, there are a couple options that these cars do not come with that I want - Satellite radio, bluetooth, & BMW Assist.

My BMW service tech told me they can install them - SR - $900; BT - $850; Assist - $650. Far more than if I ordered them w/ the car, but they'd be identical to factory built. I don't want to have an aftermarket screen mounted on the dash somewhere - the GF used to have that in her Subaru and it sucked. I want SR & BTcontrolled through the stereo.

My other option is to replace the stock unit and get a new stereo HU that has SR & a BT kit. Assist would still have to be installed by BMW or do w/out. I talked to Car Toys and they old me a basic system would run $1k - $1.5k installed.

I assume these basic opt'd cars don't have those features w/ the thought of upgrading to a custom hi fi system later, and to keep overall cost down. But I'm concerned about changing out the factory BMW system. I looked around here a bit and it seems like lots of folks are doing it. How does a new HU look? and function? Anyone got some pics, thoughts or experiences they can share.

Thanks much all - this site is a great resource - glad to be here! mpp
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
Hi all - noob here.

I curently have an 06 330xi, and I am seriously considering a used 2008 135i. There are many on the market w/ low miles at very good prices. There are also many that have very few options - sport package & iPod - and that's what I'm lookign for - really basic. However, there are a couple options that these cars do not come with that I want - Satellite radio, bluetooth, & BMW Assist.

My BMW service tech told me they can install them - SR - $900; BT - $850; Assist - $650. Far more than if I ordered them w/ the car, but they'd be identical to factory built. I don't want to have an aftermarket screen mounted on the dash somewhere - the GF used to have that in her Subaru and it sucked. I want SR & BTcontrolled through the stereo.

My other option is to replace the stock unit and get a new stereo HU that has SR & a BT kit. Assist would still have to be installed by BMW or do w/out. I talked to Car Toys and they old me a basic system would run $1k - $1.5k installed.

I assume these basic opt'd cars don't have those features w/ the thought of upgrading to a custom hi fi system later, and to keep overall cost down. But I'm concerned about changing out the factory BMW system. I looked around here a bit and it seems like lots of folks are doing it. How does a new HU look? and function? Anyone got some pics, thoughts or experiences they can share.

Thanks much all - this site is a great resource - glad to be here! mpp
If you want the sat radio and BT phone, go aftermarket.
Or, get aftermarket add on's that are a LOT lower in cost.
Why bother with BMW assist?
If you have a cell phone and portable GPS, what more do you need or expect from "assist"?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
mpukas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
If you have a cell phone and portable GPS, what more do you need or expect from "assist"?
Thanks for the reply.

I live in Colorado, and I spend a lot of time in areas where there's no cell phone service. Just thinking of an extra margin of safety/assit if I ever break down. Currently I don't have a GPS. I should.

Your response has been similar to what I've been thinking lately - why bother w the extra cost and electro gizmos - just go stripped w/ sport pack. I'll deal w/ sat & BT after market. I really don't want extra screens stuck on the dash though. Thanks again! mpp
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

i thought bmw assist worked via gsm signals?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I live in Colorado, and I spend a lot of time in areas where there's no cell phone service. Just thinking of an extra margin of safety/assit if I ever break down. Currently I don't have a GPS. I should.

Your response has been similar to what I've been thinking lately - why bother w the extra cost and electro gizmos - just go stripped w/ sport pack. I'll deal w/ sat & BT after market. I really don't want extra screens stuck on the dash though. Thanks again! mpp
I believe that "assist" also uses cell service. It can't be satellite as the cost would be much higher, especially from BMW.

A decent GPS, Garmin or Magellan, work well. However, in the mountains depending on how deep you are and how much rock surrounds you even the GPS could falter.
You should do some reviews on what other people in your area use.
Appreciate 0