BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Question OEM runflats...flat - What to do?

So last night I'm out, and when going home I get in the car and the low pressure light is on. I go to a local air stop and check the pressure, the left front is down in to 20 psi. I fill it up and head home, on the way the light comes back on. When I get home it's down to 20 again. So there is a problem. Since they are still the run flats I could go a couple miles over to the local tire shop, but can they repair a run-flat?
I also have the premium hazard insurance, and the tire still have plenty of tread. So I'm assuming the insurance will cover anything.
So should I call the insurance? Go to the tire shop? Or just hit the BMW assist button?
Anybody else had an issue like this oir dealt with the insurance?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
So last night I'm out, and when going home I get in the car and the low pressure light is on. I go to a local air stop and check the pressure, the left front is down in to 20 psi. I fill it up and head home, on the way the light comes back on. When I get home it's down to 20 again. So there is a problem. Since they are still the run flats I could go a couple miles over to the local tire shop, but can they repair a run-flat?
I also have the premium hazard insurance, and the tire still have plenty of tread. So I'm assuming the insurance will cover anything.
So should I call the insurance? Go to the tire shop? Or just hit the BMW assist button?
Anybody else had an issue like this oir dealt with the insurance?
By now, most reputable tire shops should be able to handle run-flats. Call and find one & see if it can be repaired. If not, then use your insurance.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep

Red face

Called BMW assist, they suggested taking it to the dealer. There is one pretty close to me, so I did.
They came back half an hour later and said the valve stem just needed to be tightened.
DOH!!!
So if you can't find a nail. Try that first.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

All our problems should be so simple! Thanks for posting the solution.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
OneThirtyFiveEye
Rep
Drives: 135i

This might be a totally noob question but I was under the impression that run flats didn't need any air? I thought it was just solid rubber rapped around the rim... ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThirtyFiveEye View Post
This might be a totally noob question but I was under the impression that run flats didn't need any air? I thought it was just solid rubber rapped around the rim... ?
No - do some reading on Tirerack.com. A solid rubber tire of any kind would be a bone rattling ride. Run fLat tires have a much stiffer sidewall, which allows them to be driven a short distance and at very low speeds to the nearest tire store or garage. If you do drive on them flat, they are pretty much ruined, though. But they do require air, and should be checked at least once per month.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Runflats also tend to drop air by 2 PSI a month as opposed to normal tires which drop one.

Runflats are also useless in any type of blowout senario, as the tire looses its rigidity. So they are useless IMO.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

What, a regular tire is more uselful in a blowout situation? There are many reasons not to like runflats. The rough ride, and poor handling, especailly when cold are my favorites.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Said it before and I'll say it again.. In 30+ years of driving

- Never had a flat with a runflat
- Never had a blowout before runflats
- Had 4 blowouts with runflats on separate occasions
- 3 of 4 left me stranded, overnight, out of state (once for 3 days)

BMWNA, I hope you see this. It's not the direction you should be taking.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
What, a regular tire is more uselful in a blowout situation? There are many reasons not to like runflats. The rough ride, and poor handling, especailly when cold are my favorites.
My sister had a brand new Merc Mountaineer in 2001. A 5500lb truck that came with Firestone tires...the same tires that blew out on a regular basis.

Well guess what, 4 months into the cars life one of her tires blew out while she was doing 70 on the highway. She came to a safe stop on the side of the highway.

Last year, im driving the 1er and I hit a pothole in the night while doing 60. Sidewall blowout, a situation in which an rft is completly useless, I controlled it and came to a safe stop, but couldnt move. Ditched the useless POS the next day.

The rfts are simply a patch for bad drivers who are not taught how to handle a blowout situation. They lead to over confidence and when the rfts blow out in a way that is catostrophic these people loose control and crash.

A magic tire is not a replacement for good driver training which most people in this country do not have.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Well I hit a pothole last night in with my stock runflats, fairly hard and fairly fast (75). Instantly light came on. I was able to drive another 30 miles before I got the tire replaced. And yes, the sidewall had failed.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

The OP was able to drive home last night without changing a tire while they were out. They were able to drive it to the dealer without changing the tire.

Which of course is a good thing since there's no jack or spare, which for most people would have required a service call.

I think in this case the runflat was not useless.

They may not work in every situtation, but in this one, they let them keep on driving till they were able to get it fixed, exactly what they are supposed to be able to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06612 View Post
The OP was able to drive home last night without changing a tire while they were out. They were able to drive it to the dealer without changing the tire.
Was not completely flat, had about 20psi. If it was completely flat I would have accepted the tow offer from BMW assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
OneThirtyFiveEye
Rep
Drives: 135i

I see... I just assumed that it had no air in it because they offered a stiffer ride and that when a vehicle uses run flat tires there is no spare tire on the car. It seems pretty absurd then that you can be totally stranded somewhere with run flat tires and having to depend on a tow truck to get you out of trouble. I've been in many situations where I needed to change a flat tire or a blown tire by the side of the road.
Appreciate 0