BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #23
Bcav
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
most european cars look somewhere between 100-110% better with no front plates. most cops don't care about it, and use it as a " ill let you go on the speeding, but i have to give you a ticket for no front plate"....

you don't need to be driving a rare exotic to want your car to look better. Go take 5 mins and remove ur front plate and bracket, and youll never want to put it back on
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
that whole area... any of the towns in which kinderkamack rd runs through is a PITA when it comes to cops. also throw in some of the neighboring towns like closter, harrington pk, etc. i used to live in that area and got 2 tickets for tint, and 1 for my rear (DEALER) license frame plate (the bezel was too thick and covered up the words "Garden State"). eversince i've moved out towards cliffside pk, cops dont care as much. could be there's more NYC cars that come into that area but i feel like the deeper you go into the burbs, the more bored cops are and give out tickets for stupid stuff.

but about my experience in westwood... cop and i were were facing each other at a light at 3am. i made a right turn on "red" but at the time, the plows had cleared the snow creating a snow bank all across the right lane so i quickly switched to left lane (remember this is 3am with NO cars).

cop follows and says

1) i made a right on a red w/o fully stopping - (uhm officer, that's a delayed light and my side hits green first while yours is still red)
2) i didn't give my turn signal when switching to left lane - (i only switched lanes b/c you couldn't tell until last second after the turn there was a snow bank and it forced me to go in the left lane. since there was clearly no cars, i didn't think it was an issue)

so he feels like a dumba$$ and then just gives me a ticket for my 35% tint - which was bs b/c i believe u can't give a tint ticket unless i committed a moving violation first and i clearly didnt based on the above.
      02-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #25
No234
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

So, I finally got a tint ticket and well I removed the tints... I removed them in my garage and I thought it was really easy, till i realized all the glue left behind. It took me 45 minutes on my window and passenger side window to razor blade off. The back windows I guess im going to leave for a hot sunny day when i can put the top down and for the rear view window well I did a little of it only the blatant glue spots and left it be for now its impossible back there.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #26
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No234 View Post
So, I finally got a tint ticket and well I removed the tints... I removed them in my garage and I thought it was really easy, till i realized all the glue left behind. It took me 45 minutes on my window and passenger side window to razor blade off. The back windows I guess im going to leave for a hot sunny day when i can put the top down and for the rear view window well I did a little of it only the blatant glue spots and left it be for now its impossible back there.
Leave the rear tint on. In nj only the front windows are illegal

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #27
No234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
Leave the rear tint on. In nj only the front windows are illegal
I never liked the unbalanced look of half the car clear and half dark, just a personal thing, plus its to late since their all off already.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by No234 View Post
What % tint did you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #29
No234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
What % tint did you have?
20%, pretty much see through when the sun is out. I had them rolled down and he told me to roll them up, he stared at the window for about 45 seconds to figure out if it was tinted or not cause its not dark at all. Keep in mind I have Boston beige leather.
Appreciate 0