BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Forged - Multi piece wheel ??s

So, as we all know forged wheels are the way to go aftermarket if your into lowering un-sprung weight, and getting a solid mono block wheel that will hold up to the rigors of on road, and down track.

Multi piece wheels offer more panache with just about unlimited customizable barrel and center combinations, while sacrificing weight in the process for looks.

Then why is it that all companies that I do look at, thier "track wheels" section is filled with nothing but multi piece, heavier, and all together more expensive "inferior" wheel designs???

Is it so that they can be sure no matter what happens on the track, they can get the wheel apart, and repaired without a long turnaround time, or that they just dont care that much about weight, and want to have a wheel that can fit any number of setup options they decide to go with on the track cars?

And if in doing so, they pick these "inferior wheels" they must be working for the race teams in terms of reliability, performance, and asthetics.

So I ask this... Are forged wheels realy all that better than multi piece constructions at the end of the day. If its good for the track abuse, should be good for my street abuse.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

If you are looking at track wheels apex makes the standard. All of the racing 135 teams use em and they are free flow formed if I remember right. It's a process that yeilds similar results to forging but at a much better cost than 5k for a set.

But to answer your question I always thought that forged monoblock was the best aswell

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Me as well but... why are all companies "track wheels" silly, heavier, more expensive multi piece wheels when they are supposed to be inferior??? Boggles me really.

Aren't muli piece wheels supposed to be cheaper to make? lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
no they take longer to put together. and each piece has to fit the other precisely. all about the labor that goes into them.
      07-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Your wrong..... Multi piece wheels are mass produced of parts on standby in a warehouse. Consisting of barrel halves, and center section. It takes a cpl hours to a day to get together a wheel after its ordered. This is why race teams seam like them for quick repair

It takes at LEAST a few days to finish one forged wheel for shipment.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Armx02_R7Y0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Armx02_R7Y0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I think a lot of companies use multi-piece also so that they can use different manufacturing processes for the different parts. The wheels may be called forged, but its possible only the barrel is forged and the wheel part is cast or any other combinations of wheel constructions. I wouldn't say all multi-piece wheels are heavy either, but most are probably heavier than a similar monoblock. Multi-piece wheels also allow many different size configurations.

Any lightweight wheel may be more prone to damage on the road as well. Forged wheels maintain a better metal structure than a cast wheel. This means they can get similar strength as a cast by using a thinner (and thus lighter) piece of forged wheel. But a really thin and lightweight forged wheel may not be much if any stronger than a heavy thick cast wheel. Pound for pound a forged wheel will be stronger, but its rarely pound for pound since the objective is lighter wheels. I have 2-piece wheels that are welded together and use SSR's technology which is semi-solid forging. They are about 16lbs for 17x8, so not all mutli-piece wheels are heavy.

Tim

Last edited by timhatimay; 08-03-2010 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Had to change a word in my last sentence...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
Your wrong..... Multi piece wheels are mass produced of parts on standby in a warehouse. Consisting of barrel halves, and center section. It takes a cpl hours to a day to get together a wheel after its ordered. This is why race teams seam like them for quick repair

It takes at LEAST a few days to finish one forged wheel for shipment.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Armx02_R7Y0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Armx02_R7Y0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
whenever i think about multi piece wheels i think iforged, dpe, 360, hre.
      07-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
you would be surprised to find out they are made basically the same way. All of the wheel companies you mentioned get their barrels from a company called Triangle. All companies do is make the face and put the wheels together.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
So, as we all know forged wheels are the way to go aftermarket if your into lowering un-sprung weight, and getting a solid mono block wheel that will hold up to the rigors of on road, and down track.

Multi piece wheels offer more panache with just about unlimited customizable barrel and center combinations, while sacrificing weight in the process for looks.

Then why is it that all companies that I do look at, thier "track wheels" section is filled with nothing but multi piece, heavier, and all together more expensive "inferior" wheel designs???

Is it so that they can be sure no matter what happens on the track, they can get the wheel apart, and repaired without a long turnaround time, or that they just dont care that much about weight, and want to have a wheel that can fit any number of setup options they decide to go with on the track cars?

And if in doing so, they pick these "inferior wheels" they must be working for the race teams in terms of reliability, performance, and asthetics.

So I ask this... Are forged wheels realy all that better than multi piece constructions at the end of the day. If its good for the track abuse, should be good for my street abuse.
A lot of BBS Die Forged wheels are multi-piece and has a classic race design - which is the multi-piece designs you see in the LMs, LM-Rs, and RS-GTs these days.

For track abuse, you should be looking at the manufacturing process for the wheel. Rays Engineering uses Mold Form Forging, HRE uses other forging processes, and so does BBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
Those companies definitely go with multi-piece designs a lot more. These days though.....it seems like the 1-piece Forged wheels are the new in thing!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
If you look at Formula 1, all wheels are forged one piece (usually magnesium) for a reason, and not multipiece. Lighter and stronger.
True, but one of the primary reasons for multi piece wheels for racing is that teams can replace an inner or outer rim, without having to junk the whole wheel. Not really a concern in F1, where you can toss a $15k wheel in the trash heap without thinking about it, and as stated, to save the last few grams, the single piece wheel is lightest.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #11
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
One of the primary reasons for multi piece wheels for racing is that teams can replace an inner or outer rim, without having to junk the whole wheel. Not really a concern in F1, where you can toss a $15k wheel in the trash heap without thinking about it, and as stated, to save the last few grams, the single piece wheel is lightest.
QFT
Appreciate 0