BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Daily Driver Tire Recommendations?

Hey autocrossers and track rats:

Just got a dedicated set of wheels and rubber for track days and autocross. Now I'm looking for a solid set of non-RFT's that I can put on my OEM wheels for daily driving.

Here's are my main qualifications:
  • Cheap: I'll spend money on my track setup. But for my regular, commuting street tires, I'm not looking to spend a crap ton of money. If I can get out under $600 for all four tires, I'll be a happy man.
  • High tread: I'd like these babies to last a while.
  • All-season: I live in So Cal, so at most, we get 3 months(ish) of rain. No snow or ice. I just want some tires that won't send me hydroplaning off the 5 freeway.
  • Low noise: I love my Star Specs but man, are those dogs howling on the freeway. Any quieter tires you could recommend?

Right now I'm considering Hankook Ventus V12's but I'm worried those might be too soft/performance-oriented for daily driving. Yokahama S.Drive's seem to be getting so-so reviews on TireRack lately.

Any other suggestions?
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Tessio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

The Ventus may be the best choice

I have them on my M5 for daily driving because that monster is hell on tires. I was going broke ripping up new PS2s every year. The V12s take a while to scrub in - about 400 miles. They scared me at first, absolutely spooky squirming on turn-in. I was about to toss them when I tried simply airing them up. I had set them to the 36psi I used on the PS2s. They needed more than that because of the softer sidewalls. I took them up to 42psi and they transformed into a rather impressive tire for the money. They can be fussy to balance (but then again, mine are 275/35s at the front, so minor imbalances are magnified), but once you have them set up, they grip well, wear well, do OK in the rain, they don't tramline, they're cheap, they are PS2 light and they are QUIET. Really a pretty good all-around tire for the money.

The General Exclaim and Sumi HTR-ZIII are other good cheap performance tires. We have the Sumis on my wife's Z3. They are a bit heavy so you get some slap over pavement joints, but overall they are pretty quiet, pretty grippy, wear well, do OK in the rain and are cheap. They have stiffer sidewalls than the Ventus, but don't feel considerably better. I prefer the Ventus overall.

I haven't tried the new Conti DWs yet, they might suit you too. The Contis I've had in the past all got loud and squirrely as they aged, so I'm distrustful of them now. Tires though are like electronics, this year's model may be a completely different beast.

I hear you on the Z1s. Awesome fun tires, but on the DD they get LOUD as they wear.

The Goodyear F1 Assymetric maybe be another option. They are often on sale in the Sumitomo/Kumho/Hankook range. They are OUTSTANDING rain tires and grip great dry as well. Mine flatspotted some, but nothing annoying. I haven't been back to them because they are a no man's land tire for me. In the higher performance price range I prefer the PS2, the RE-11s and the Advans. When priced in the Sumi range though, they are top competitors IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the detailed comments Tessio!
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Yes2m3cs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS 2016 M4

I love my Hankooks V12's on my daily driver. 70 miles a day, in wet and dry conditions they feel great.

Good Luck man!

Brian
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Do Hankooks V12's wear very fast though? Compared to your average tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

So far, the 17" Conti DWS tires on my 128i are well worth the $600 (including mounting, balancing & 6% tax) cost.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Beach
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I

I went to the General Exclaim UHP on my E46 M3 as I was running through PS2's and T1R every 6 months. I drove them pretty hard (if the running through other tires every 6 months didn't indicate my driving habits) and they withstood my abuse. I will probably go back to them when I need new tires on the 135.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I can not understand WHY anyone would buy cheap tires for a FAST BMW!

You want the very best for the street! That is where all your risks are. I bet the dry braking difference would be measured in meters from A++ tires to C- (el cheapo)tires. I have seen some of the tire tests ADAC (the German version of AAA) and they say the difference can be like over 9 meters longer braking IN THE DRY! Every meter counts when you are trying to avoid an accident.

I think the main reason people buy cheap tires is the average person can not tell the difference between one tire and the next. And people are cheap! They can only hear how quiet or loud a certain tire is... or how the steering response feels. For me I buy my tires based on ADAC's tire tests - every year.

Btw... over here... when you get down to under 4mm of tire thread left... you SHOULD replace the tires. It is just too unsafe on the autobahn. I know in teh states many people will run a tires untl it is almost bald! Also... once a tire is older then five or six years - it should be tossed out! Rubber gets hard with age... and you need soft tires to work in rain and cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

I agree with Tessio on the Goodyear F1 Assymetric summer performance tire. I have them on my 135i and I am quite happy with them. Perform well in the dry, great in the rain, ride nicely, quiet and so far are not wearing to bad for a performance tire. I did get them with a rebate, so the price was not that far off the Hankooks. For cold weather times around here and for some snow I have stock 261M wheels with Conti DWS 225/255 sizes. I like them a lot for all seasons. I have CS7 wheels 8/9" widths with the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric tires on 225/255 tires.

I mostly agree with Dackelone, but I think there are some manufacturers that make so called "cheap" tires that are of sufficient enough quality to consider. Just think 20 years ago some Japanese tires were considered "cheapos" and people laughed at them. Then Kumho came a long and people laughed. Now not many people consider Japanese tires junk and Kumho is respectable. Hey I have used many Kumho R compound on the track and they performed very well and no one shunned them. They are not a Hoosier R compound but a great value. I think Hankook is a positive up and comer. I bet some years down the road they will also be proven very creditable.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Do Hankooks V12's wear very fast though? Compared to your average tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #11
Yes2m3cs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS 2016 M4

I have about 5k on my hankooks and they still look perfect

Brian
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
So for 99.9% of your driving you want a cheap billiard ball hard tire with increased stopping distances, worse handling, and less hydroplaning resistance?

Hmmmmm.........
The two tires I mentioned in my post were Hankook Ventus V12's and Yokahama S.Drives. Are those "cheap billiard ball hard tires"? I didn't say cheapest, just relatively cheap.

Hmmmmm.........
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hankook's ordered via Tirerack. Best price, no sales tax, and they got here in 2 days. ummm I'm sold.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Take a look at a few

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w...6424_4924.html
Appreciate 0