BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Throttle body adaptation reset a myth?
A myth. No such nonsense exists... 7 24.14%
A fact. 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

12-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #23
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Oh, the irony. An opinion poll as to whether something is fact or myth.
      12-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

I answered my own question. I poked around a bit more in ISTA\Rheingold and found this explanatory text under the 'Clear Adaptations' selection. Thought you all might find it interesting.

Adaptation makes it possible for the engine control unit to learn certain values from components, thus making it possible to compensate for certain component tolerances. On initial commissioning, the engine management system also learns the various equipment variations that are fitted.

The service function ”Reset adaptation values” can be used to reset the adaptation values and equipment variations to their default settings; thereafter, they have to be relearned. Longer operation between idle speed and partial load is necessary, for example, in order to learn the mixture adaptation values.

- Deleting adaptations after repairs: In general, the adaptations should not be deleted after a repair (part replacement). On replacement of the throttle valve, the MDK adaptations are to be deleted to avoid a fault code memory entry.

- Deleting equipment variations and adaptations after a conversion or vehicle upgrade: After a vehicle conversion, e.g. from manual to automatic gearbox, or vehicle upgrade, e.g. retrofitting a trailer module or a multifunction steering wheel, the equipment variations and adaptations must be deleted and relearned.

Examples of various adaptations
Fuel mixture adaptation
The mixture formed in the intake area requires some time before it reaches the oxygen sensor as exhaust emissions. This time decreases as load and engine speed increase. For this reason, the response time of the oxygen-sensor control system is also dependent on load and engine speed. Fuel-air mixture deviations detected by the oxygen sensor result in adaptation values (learned correction values) being stored. By way of the adaptations, the injection can be brought close to the nominal value in advance. A reduction in the response time is achieved in this way.

For example, if the basic fuel injection values of the engine control unit characteristic map are too low at idle speed to maintain the ideal fuel-air mixture, the oxygen-sensor control would have to continuously increase the fuel injection period. In this case, an adaptation value is learnt which corrects the basic injection value. The oxygen-sensor control then only needs to undertake the fine adjustment.

Idle mixture adaptation (additive)
If idling is detected in the off-load phase of the tank ventilation due to the throttle-valve position, an idling fuel mixture adaptation is made at certain intervals. As the idling and part-load fuel mixture adaptations mutually influence one another, complete adaptation requires a number of switches between idling and part-load.

Partial load mixture adaptation (multiplicative)
Also in the part-load range, a fuel mixture adaptation is carried out at regular intervals. The determined adaptation value is taken into consideration in all partial load ranges.

Tank venting adaptation
When the tank ventilation valve is open, an additional combustible mixture is supplied from the carbon canister to the engine. The shift in mixture detected by the oxygen sensor is completely corrected out by means of the tank ventilation adaptation value.

Idle speed adaptation
The idle speed adaptation is handled by the idle actuator. It uses the air volume to ensure a constant idle speed.

Sensor adaptation
Misfiring causes irregularities in the rotational speed of the crankshaft. These irregularities can be detected by way if changes in the segment time.

The crankshaft sensor continuously determines segment times (time in which a certain number of teeth of the increment gear run past the sensor). These segment times are constantly checked during engine operation. In the event of a fault, a corresponding fault code is stored in the fault code memory and the fuel injection is deactivated at the corresponding cylinder. Refer to misfiring detection.

In order to prevent incorrect evaluations, a sensor adaptation must be carried out after replacement of a DME control unit or crankshaft sensor. If the increment gear is replaced, the sensor adaptation must be deleted both before and after replacement.

The sensor adaptation determines the irregularity of the increment wheel and takes it into consideration when evaluating the segment times. The sensor adaptation is run automatically as soon as the engine is overrun for at least 10 seconds.

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #25
sonobmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 530d

Just chipping in that this worked on my (new to me) 2014 F11 530D.

I was sceptical at first and already looking into sprint boosters. But the reset steps undeniably worked for me. The difference is night and day. Car went from sluggish -I could press the pedal 1/8 in comfort mode without much happening, to super responsive when gently pressing the pedal, still in comfort mode. Excellent!

Thanks for sharing the tips. Wish there was a way to code the car, to just not learn and adapt, rather than having to perform this reset every 2 weeks...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 06:36 AM   #26
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

The easy way around this is to just drive in sports mode all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #27
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
The easy way around this is to just drive in sports mode all the time.
What's this "sport mode" you refer to? Downshifting and giving it gas?
Appreciate 0