BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Convertible top rear window loose

I think I have the same issue reported here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanglider View Post
It seems to be the one part of the car I can't find much information. The top itself is OK appearance wise, but my rear window has rattled against the stops at the base since right after I bought it. And now the rear window seems to be sagging inward, which is why it rattles at highway speeds. I tried to ignore it but it ain't easy. I love the car, and I want to keep it for a long time, but I need to find a solution to this problem. I just can't find much information on the top - how much, where to buy, how to install, etc. Does anyone know of any information source?
It started rattling about a year ago. First only at high speed, then progressively more and more. Now the rattle is very annoying. I thought something in the top mechanisms is loose, so brought the car to my mechanic. His diagnosis is: the bottom of the rear window is loose. He is looking it there's a way to fix it without replacing the whole top ($$$$), but he indicated he is not going to attempt to glue it.

It seems my only recourse will be to try what Pelicanglider did and re-glue it myself. This did not work well on my previous car (Audi TT), but maybe it will this time.

I realize that the car is 13 years old and maybe it's time to replace the top...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Results on regluing have been mixed. I did that to mine and it lasted about 18 mos but I did not put enough time in cleaning old glue off window and top (you will understand why when you try to to this). I suspect that inadequate prep is what caused it to fail.
Appreciate 0