BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2023, 05:41 PM   #1
aresfiend
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Brake/drive malfunction with no codes

I've got a 2008 135i with the automatic transmission, since January it's gotten Bilstein B14 PSS9 coilovers, M3 front control arms, and two alignments. Starting yesterday it will occasionally pop up the "brake/drive malfunction" and tell me not to push it when I make a left turn into a parking space with my fiancee and dog in the car. In ANY other situation it's just fine. I mean literally any other situation. I could not replicate it without taking a left turn into a parking space without my fiancee and dog. On my own I cannot replicate it, taking the same angle of turn but moderately faster at an intersection with them in the car still will not cause my car to wig out and talk shit.

Things I've tried:

- recalibrating steering angle sensor

- pulling codes with some random code reader

- pulling codes with INPA

- checking tire pressure

- checking all of my suspension

- checking wheel speed sensor resistance (all four are good)

- checking for water in various junctions and control modules (all bone dry)

- checking rear subframe bushings (not mint but not bad, previous owner installed M3 bushes)

- checking wheel bearings (no movement)

I have no idea where to go next considering that I don't have any codes, I also can't find the steering angle sensor online. Is it part of the clock spring assembly on these? Anyone else have any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
aresfiend
Rep

Possibly figured it out, checking the alignment the wheels are like 5/32" off and it's entirely in the front left being toe out. Turning left there's a certain point that it triggers, if I'm past that point at full lock for long enough the lights will go away until I hit that point straightening back out.

Granted, I used measurement tools and methods I use setting up oval cars, but I'm usually within 1/64" if it's put on an alignment rack.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo963.50
      07-25-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
aresfiend
Rep

For future reference for anybody that comes across the same issue without any other indication of what it could be, it was 100% alignment.

The symptoms I had were the lights coming on when turning sharp left, when I'd be on the brakes at that angle the ABS would kick in. The car would also change where the steering wheel was pointed based on where the balance shifted, which was my dog going side to side in the back seat to look it the windows. My front left wheel was ultimately a little over 1/4" toe out. I adjusted them so the front left was ~1/32" toe in and the light no longer came on unless I was basically at full lock. With the steering wheel straight the wheels were also both pointed to the left by a VERY healthy bit (by alignment standards anyway). Straightening them out completely got rid of the errors for now.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo963.50