BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #23
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machinist View Post
I always thought about of doing this since riding on the streets is dangerous ( I think it was Max Biaggi that said that he does not ride on the streets because it's not safe) but how can a person with no ridding experience can go to the track? Are there any other ways to learn to ride a bike fast and to build experience before hitting the track?
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread...
You can always take beginner to advanced riding courses which are taught on closed circuits - I took a few of these early on in my bike riding days (been riding for 16 years and counting - knock on wood) and it helped a lot. Since we've totally hijaked this thread with the bike talk - I thought I'd share an in-cockpit video I took last spring while riding my 1098 through the CO canyons. I can relate to peppebmw about the stress-relieving aspects of twisting the throttle on a high-performance bike...... I releived a lot of stress on this ride :thumbup:

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #24
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Learn the bike mechanics and take it to the dirt, most of the road racers out there learned moto first, moves to flat track and finally to the tarmac. I'm in the same boat, i've been some nasty accidents and I'm thinking of just tracking my bike. I don't have fun on the streets or canyons anymore because my riding level surpasses the level of safety im willing to compromise. Mind you I ride the Malibu canyons, some of the best twisties out there.
I've hit those sand or oil patches, crossed the double solids before and I've been very lucky so far.

Tracks have runoffs and peace of mind for a clean pavement and no oncomming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #25
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorob View Post
You can always take beginner to advanced riding courses which are taught on closed circuits - I took a few of these early on in my bike riding days (been riding for 16 years and counting - knock on wood) and it helped a lot. Since we've totally hijaked this thread with the bike talk - I thought I'd share an in-cockpit video I took last spring while riding my 1098 through the CO canyons. I can relate to peppebmw about the stress-relieving aspects of twisting the throttle on a high-performance bike...... I releived a lot of stress on this ride :thumbup:

Beautiful bike rob, I have an 03 Limited R1 and was thinking of adding an 848 to the stables. I like the dynamics of a smaller motor.

Those roads look great, we don't have many flat canyons out here, there mostly elevated.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #26
the machinist
Rep
Drives:

thank you for the replies.
that was an awesome video. I can only imagine how exhilarating has to be riding that Ducati.......and the sound is music.......
Appreciate 0