BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
1dubby
Rep
Drives:

Off to the shop

I was on my way to the inlaws today when my car started running very ruff. I thought I might have noticed it running a little ruff last night too. I thought I would wait till mon and call the shop but as I was driving it got worse and the check engine light came on. Felt like a bad stutter. So I went right to the dealer. As some of you know I had DINAN S2 sotwair installed a couple weeks ago @ 1150 miles (give or take) I think the car hit 1400 today. I really havnt driven the car hard at all still avaraging 24 mpg (most of you would consider my driving the last 250 miles more like your grandparents) and wouldn't think the softwair could affect anything in that time. I did also get a oil chang at a independant BMW shop in town (ORR Autosport) @1250 miles, I dont think this would affect anything. I have been having trouble finding 93 octane gas but keep 92 in at all times. Any guesses what the problem could be? I hope I dont get into a BMW / DINAN finger pionting game. I will hopefully find out the problem on Mon and let you guys know.

They did give me a 08 328ix loner . I have owned over 20 BMW's and this car wil never be added to the list!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Ouch, keep us updated. Good luck!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
imported_McLovin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Well, you have added a Dinan tune and while they offer the same warranty as BMW you have "modded" the car. Sounds initially like the HPFP issue some have had. Can't really blame BMW after an aftermarket tune has been introduced tho.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

It is either the fuel pump or the gas you have been using. I used lucas octane boost in my car and it left a residue on my spark plugs and caused the same problem as you. I went months not knowing what the problem was, BMW and DINAN finally figured it out. Our cars with the DINAN tune are very picky about fuel and additives in the gas I only run 93 and will never put another additive in my car again. Make sure you call Stephen at DINAN he is the warranty guy there he is very helpful, you should call him when you are bringing your car in. I made the mistake of not calling Cali and leaving it to the dealers and it was a disaster, Stephan at DINAN would rather have you call them and let them know so they can get right on it. Good luck with every thing let us know what happens.
      09-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
1dubby
Rep
Drives:

Well I was out of town so it took a while to pick my car up I was told it was a cold start miss fire in cylinder #1. Since then I drove the car about 10 miles home and last night I went to the store about another 10 miles. Today I went ot to find some good fuel since I was told that could have been the issue. It seems to be running fine but when I push the stat button it takes a lot longer to start now.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

You have a bad HPFP.
      09-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
You have a bad HPFP.
Yeah, that what it seems like from others experiences here. It will for a little while longer and slowly fail until you end up in limp mode or your car won't start any more. I'd take it back to the dealer.