BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
GreatDane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (Alpine White)

Driving this car...

Hey guys -

My father surprised me with a new 135i as a graduation present, and I absolutely love it!

The truth is, though, that I've always had SUVs and I really don't know how I should be driving a performance oriented car. I've seen on the internet that it is really fast, but so far I've kept it in regular mode (its auto) and kept it under 3000 rpms, as I've always been told gunning the engine a lot damages it. Its pretty quick but doesn't feel blisteringly fast.

So I guess my admittedly dumb question is: how hard can/should I push this car on a daily basis? Is it cool to drive it in sport mode and in high RPM quite a bit, like this guy...

Thanks so much for any advice. I know these basic driving questions are stupid, but I'm trying to learn and don't want to screw up my new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Nah dude, this is how you should drive it: =)
(especially at 5:25)

But for real, there's a lot of debate over how you should break in the engine, it's up to you, but the manual says to keep it under 4500 rpm for the first 1200 or so miles.

But after that, this car does pretty well on the track so don't be afraid that you're "breaking" the engine if you're in the high rpm range every now and then... it's built for it!
      07-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
Nah dude, this is how you should drive it: =)
(especially at 5:25)

But for real, there's a lot of debate over how you should break in the engine, it's up to you, but the manual says to keep it under 4500 rpm for the first 1200 or so miles.

But after that, this car does pretty well on the track so don't be afraid that you're "breaking" the engine if you're in the high rpm range every now and then... it's built for it!
hello! i am a firm believer in following the manuals break in suggestions as helps with longevity of the car. since this engine is twin turbo'd, the peak performance will not be at redline, somewhere around 7000

before you go wild with tracking, i would go take a Skip Barber or BMW performance center car control class, it will teach you how to properly huck the car while keeping it in control, it is a whole different art than SUV driving
      07-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
schleppcar
Speed Camera Hater
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 3.0 Deep Sea Blue/Tan

What a great dad!

Life is way too short to skip good times when they come along!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

What did you graduate from?

High School? College? Graduate School?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

If it is a gift, then you can ignore break in period rules and drive it for a pleasure.
      07-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
GreatDane
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks so much for the replies, guys. It was for graduating college.

I think that BMW driving class would be perfect. Do they offer them at every dealership or do you have to travel?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Nice "Gift". Enjoy it and be safe. Let it break in for the first 1200mi then unleash it.
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
kb2dhg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Drive it like a baby for the first 1200 miles then beat it like a woman! This car is built for performance driving. hang it out at around 5-6000 RPM and hold on!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Don't drive like an ass in public but I'm a firm believer in getting the revs up (legally and after the engine is warm) every few days.

However you drive it, be careful. When you push it past the limits it can let go very quickly. The first time I let someone drive mine they spun it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2dhg View Post
beat it like a woman!
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
However you drive it, be careful. When you push it past the limits it can let go very quickly. The first time I let someone drive mine they spun it.
I'd say don't let your friends drive it unless you know they're competent drivers that have driven high horsepower cars before. I've let a bunch of people drive mine and none of them have ever spun out, but that's because I know their level of driving skill (most of them are experience track drivers). If you have a ricer friend with a 1990 honda that talks about v-tec all the time you shouldn't let him take a spin... they just like to bury their foot into the accelerator because that's what they have to do in their car to go anywhere =)
      07-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
lib
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
I'd say don't let your friends drive it unless you know they're competent drivers that have driven high horsepower cars before. I've let a bunch of people drive mine and none of them have ever spun out, but that's because I know their level of driving skill (most of them are experience track drivers). If you have a ricer friend with a 1990 honda that talks about v-tec all the time you shouldn't let him take a spin... they just like to bury their foot into the accelerator because that's what they have to do in their car to go anywhere =)
While I would direct that response as a word of advice to the OP, I have to be fair to the guy that spun mine... It was at an autocross test & tune and we went into it being fully aware he would try to drive it at 11/10ths. I've spun it myself during test & tunes while trying to find the limit and spun it once during an HPDE (I need to re-upload that video ). It's not unexpected.

The point I was trying to get across is you can very quickly cross the limit and end up wrapping it around a tree. I don't care how much experience someone may have as a driver or how good they are or think they are. As someone that's both seen people spin one and spun one myself (in a safe environment) I'm simply being the nagging voice asking people to not screw around on the street. I'm tired of running across threads where someone thought they could handle it but instead ended up killing a few people.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

after the break in period, drive it like you stole it, haha. seriously be safe and have fun. Since you aren't used to this car or this type of car, ease into it.
      07-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
InfiniteJest
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
While I would direct that response as a word of advice to the OP, I have to be fair to the guy that spun mine... It was at an autocross test & tune and we went into it being fully aware he would try to drive it at 11/10ths. I've spun it myself during test & tunes while trying to find the limit and spun it once during an HPDE (I need to re-upload that video ). It's not unexpected.

The point I was trying to get across is you can very quickly cross the limit and end up wrapping it around a tree. I don't care how much experience someone may have as a driver or how good they are or think they are. As someone that's both seen people spin one and spun one myself (in a safe environment) I'm simply being the nagging voice asking people to not screw around on the street. I'm tired of running across threads where someone thought they could handle it but instead ended up killing a few people.
QFT-Trees->

MUST read...especially if youre new to sports cars-really harrowing:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-5-killed.html

edit to add: The harrowing part is not just the link in the top but reading the thread as the posters realize what is going on...starting top of page three i suppose.

-IJ
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Like everyone has said, wait for the 1200 mile mark, then drive it however the hell you want! lol
Trust me, youre not gonna be hurting the car by accelerating hard (especially since its an auto)

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Yeah drive it how you want after break-in. I regularly go up to 5k RPMs around town, safely and...legally ...of course. From what I have read, these engines are made to be driven hard.

Though I don't have the fatty twin-turbos slapped on my N52 like you... Heh.
      07-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #17
lib
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
Though I don't have the fatty twin-turbos slapped on my N52 like you... Heh.
You'll still want to get the revs up every so often. Consider it preventative maintenance for that little clicking problem
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
ToXiC
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteJest View Post
QFT-Trees->

edit to add: The harrowing part is not just the link in the top but reading the thread as the posters realize what is going on...starting top of page three i suppose.

-IJ
Pretty tragic...

I remember seeing that last year before I even got my car..
The guy was pretty young.. so young in fact that nobody on the site really believed he had an M5 from his past posts, pretty tragic way to prove it...

To the OP of the thread, dont end up like that guy, its always good to learn your limits, lots of good advice in this thread...
      07-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteJest View Post
QFT-Trees->

-IJ
Good idea to post this. It was the first thing that came to mind when I started reading this thread!

TS...I would just keep things reasonable, and get to know the car, as any of us should. Enjoy and Congrats on earning such a nice reward!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #20
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXiC View Post
Pretty tragic...

I remember seeing that last year before I even got my car..
The guy was pretty young.. so young in fact that nobody on the site really believed he had an M5 from his past posts, pretty tragic way to prove it...

To the OP of the thread, dont end up like that guy, its always good to learn your limits, lots of good advice in this thread...
Who was the poster? Doesnt say forum name anywhere
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #21
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Nevermind I found it...the thread below is scary, eriee, sad and many more things....

Posted about his new M5, promised to post pictures to silence the non-believers about his car then 2 days later died http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...ts-m-mode.html
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #22
GreatDane
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey guys - thanks again for the replies. That M5 accident was very tragic. I don't have any intentions of pushing my car to the limits like that, at least until I can get educated on how to do it safely.

I was just wondering if driving the car "hard" was ok, as I rarely went over 3000rpms on my last vehicle (LR Disco).

I'm glad you guys told me about the break in period, as I hadn't gotten to that yet in the manual. (I'm a bit worried as I let my friend drive it the day I got it and he went over 4500rpms a couple of times )

Anyway, another stupid question. The manual also says "As a rule: driving at low engine speeds lowers fuel consumption and reduces wear." I knew that driving at higher rpms hurt gas milage, but this seems to imply that high engine speeds put more wear on the engine, as well. Does that mean that taking the car to the track every weekend will cause it to have a much shorter life?
Appreciate 0