BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
cpandrewschmidt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 n55 135i dct

warranty options on non-CPO?

Im looking at a 2008 135 w/ 16K miles. It's at an Audi dealership so it isn't a BMW CPO. Came in on a trade in for a Porsche. Has remaining factory warranty for what it's worth. I plan on keeping the car past the 50K miles and am a bit weary about the longevity of the car. What kind of options do you think I could I could get to protect myself if any? Obviously trying to get them to work it into the deal. It's a family owned dealer with BMW within its ownership (next door). All separately managed though.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 135i

Have you looked into aftermarket warranties? I don't know much about them but there are plenty out there..

http://www.dmv.org/autos/extended-warranty.php
      09-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

Check wtih the BMW dealer, but I believe you can extend the Factory to the extended on a used car just like you could on a new one. At least that's what we were told when we were looking at used ones that still had part of the factory left.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
You can have it CPO'd at any BMW dealer as long as it fits the guidelines. Cost should be around $2K IIRC.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

With all respect you guys are off the mark a bit. The CPO program applies only to cars sold through authorized BMW centers. And only the original owner can purchase the BMW extended warranty (they call it the original owner protection plan, or 2op for short).

The only way to get an extended warranty on this car is to use a 3rd party warranty company, which I would never reccomend. You're better off socking that money away in a savings account for future repairs.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

2k in a aftermarket warranty that's put in a savings account wont put a dent into major repairs on these cars
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
2k in a aftermarket warranty that's put in a savings account wont put a dent into major repairs on these cars
It will certainly put a much larger dent in a major repair than the typical 3rd party extended warranty that covers only designated major components. Things like pistons, camshafts, and alternators aren't what typically fail on BMWs, it's the specialized mechanical and electronic components and sensors these cars have that are the common failure items.

Anyone that buys a 3rd party warranty needs to look very carefully at its coverage terms. From experience I can tell you that a $2K warranty is going to be exclusion based, and isn't going to resemble the BMW CPO warranty (let alone the factory warranty) in terms of coverage. There's a reason all of these warranty companies hawk people mercilessly and run TV ads continuously now. They're very profitable for the underwriters and the dealers that sell them because people pay a bunch of money for them and they really don't cover that much. And you can count on the inspector that has to come out to approve the repair before work is started denying your claim if there's any arguable basis for him to do so. If you grenade a $10K+ N54, lots of luck getting the warranty company to pay out for that repair given the exclusions for abuse and such, and that's assuming the company backing it hasn't already gone under by the time you need them.

The BMW factory and CPO warranties have significant coverage and value, and you pay for them in the price of your new car or in the significant premium you pay for a CPO car from a dealer. There is no free ride with these cars, period.

But if that 3rd party warranty helps you sleep better at night, by all means write the check.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

there are quite a few good 3rd party warranty companies, and they are not the ones robo dialing
Appreciate 0