BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

R-comp sizing/fitment question

I'll be picking up some takeoff R-6s for autocross use soon. I'll be remaining in D-stock, so my only suspension mods will be a Hotchkiss front sway.

Will a 245 fit up front on the stock rim without destroying itself?

Yes, I know it will be pinched and probably rub, but I'd prefer a 245 over a 225 as they are easier to find.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

R-6 is for track use not autocross use, so I'm not sure if they'll warm up to temp fast enough for a competitive autocross run.

235 star specs are already maxing out the tire size limitations for the front, a 245 hoosier will most likely have fender issues (not sure if you're allowed to roll in D stock), and you may even have strut tube issues. It's hard to say how it will fit as a 7.5" rim is undersized for a 245.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Points taken. Here's my experience with R6s.

I ran an very lightly modded 06 Civic Si for 3 seasons on street tires to the point where I was generally running within 4-5 seconds of the fastest driver on a 60 second course. I bought a set of R6 take offs for laughs, and suddenly I'm within a second of FTD. Most of these guys have some really well prepped race cars and all of them are running A6s. Super happy with the results, especially since I got 4 tires for $250 and they lasted something like 100+ runs.

So yes, the A6 is a better tire, but, in my opinion, an R6 is better than most street tires and they are cheap. Bang for the buck.

The 1 puts more heat into the front tires than my Civic did, so I think the R6s are worth a shot.

I'm trying to find someone who is running oversized tires on the stock rims to see how they hold up. I'm not worried about a little rubbing as long as it doesn't damage the tire or the car.

I heard there was someone at nationals who was running something like a 285 on the stock rim?
Appreciate 0