BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #133
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
LOL. Doesn't make any sense does it? Makes one wonder if the 135i brakes aren't a better match for the 1 series. I think that we can all agree to rule out tires as being the reason. If anything they are helping the 1M.
Longer-than-expected braking distances could be the result of the 1M, with summer performance tires, was being tested in apparently cold conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #134
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Why do people try to point to one single factor that determines the ttrs' quickness and one factor that determines the 1m's win? If one reads this article thoroughly and contemplates all the factors at play in scoring and in determining acceleration, it's blatantly obvious that the win and the acceleration time are not just price- or awd-determined, respectively.

Last edited by superchargedman; 03-28-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #135
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post

G:
0.91 / 0.97 / 0.94
Skidpad number is fantastic. Cant wait to see the 'real' ring times.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #136
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
Why do people try to point to one single factor that determines the ttrs' quickness and one factor that determines the 1m's win? If one reads this articles thoroughly and contemplates all the factors at play in scoring and in determining acceleration, it's blatantly obvious that the win and the acceleration time are not just price- or awd-determined, respectively.
I refuse to read the whole article until my mail-man finishes reading my issue and delivers it to my home. All of my good mags are usually at least 1-2 weeks later than other peoples. Now, my Popular Mechanics issues are always on time, as well as all of my wife's subscriptions.
      03-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #137
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 GT500 on order / E90 325

I feel as if the writer was a little biased. both cars were amazing in hp/weight and many other categories as well. The thing that impressed me the most is the fact that the TTRS is AWD and still weighs in at 20 pounds lighter. Mix that with the weight of the 6 speed being less than the over hyped DSG and seats that dont have airbags obviously in the USA, and the car will probably be in the 31xx range. That is EXTREMELY light for an AWD car that is mixed with luxury. My only concern is what else will they leave out for the USA.

The 1M is a great looking car. A lot more aggerssive, but the price is borderline used m3 territory. Being as rare as it will help it sell alone, people love having something that only a select few others have.

I dont know if I would purchase either, but I would like to have a second look at them at the dealer. m3 or RS4 are still ahead my choice, but price wise they would have to be 2 or 3 years old.

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #138
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Call C&D and cancel your subsription ASAP!

This was one of their worst written articles (and they have had many). While I do have a horse in the race (the 1///M), I feel the TTRS was unjustly castrated by the reviewer. With acceleration and 1/4 miles numbers like that, it is clearly the performance favorite. But throw in a very dubious point scoring system in which you reward the 1///M for rebates (WTF?!), and penalize the TTRS for rear seating room, and you can have a comparo that can make the winner be whomever gave the most sponsorship dollars to the rag. Oh wait, we know who that is...

The entire comparo made no sense. Let's see, you are comparing a car in full Eurospec form which won't even be offered here (DCT + LC, less weight, less power, etc.) Versus, a prototype, weighing less than even the base stripper 1 ///M would come in at (no xenons, auto climate controls, etc.) And while it, why not throw in something even more queer in this fruit salad, like an Infiniti that has no business being there in the first place. Yet C&D, in the very same issue, had a review/write-up on the Cayman R, and Boss Mustang, which would have made more sense to include in this test (the Cayman R would have absolutely obliterated everyone).

That's my biggest issue with US car cargs, they get too blinded by the dollars manufacturers throw their way that their opinions lose independence and are very biased.

My advice C&D: wait 2 more months, get a REAL 1///M, a REAL US-Spec TTRS manual, throw against them cars that will either have a chance or perhaps will do better (in the same price range that is), and forget for a moment who is paying for your skinny lattes, and write an OBJECTIVE review...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #139
poverty
Rep
Drives: TTRS 410BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post
Must. Read. Full. Article. 3.6 is only achievable with DCT, which is not available in the US.... otherwise, the acceleration seems to be on par with the M.
Im sure there are UK owners who have done 3.6 secs in MANUAL TTRS's independantly verified.

One chap as mentioned earlier did a 3.1 sec independatly verified in a manual TTRS with a aftermarket software upgrade!

A stock manual TTRS is only slightly behind a manual 997 Turbo for in gear acceleration also.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #140
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

The TT-RS looks sooo good.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #141
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m aw (kwv3) meisterschaf

WTF Guys!!! the TT-RS is amasing but MORE EXPENSIVE than the 1M!!!!!!! some of you will start comparing the performance of a Ferrari enzo!!!!!! it's not the fastess car in the world but the best bang for the buck for power and handling..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #142
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m aw (kwv3) meisterschaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES1M View Post
WTF Guys!!! the TT-RS is amasing but MORE EXPENSIVE than the 1M!!!!!!! some of you will start comparing the performance of a Ferrari enzo!!!!!! it's not the fastess car in the world but the best bang for the buck for power and handling..
BTW, my 1M is in production
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #143
poverty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I too dont believe it. There are Revo tuned TTRS' with 430 hp reaching 3.55 sec. Every other publication shows the acceleration at ~4.3 - 4.6 with S-Tronic.

The 5-60 time is the indicator that it is bunk.
Try 3.19

A friend of mine did a 4.1 sec in a stock TTRS.....

Both cars manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #144
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poverty View Post
Try 3.19

A friend of mine did a 4.1 sec in a stock TTRS.....

Both cars manual.
Yes poverty we see your vid on the german car forum..cant see the official time slip though.

Troll on sir...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #145
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #146
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Seems like the RS4 is what would be a fair comparison, not the TT RS.
The RS4 is a 4 door sedan or wagon...these are all coupes? Also the RS4 isn't even made anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #147
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Just back from weekend at VIR and the article has me more psyched than ever about the 1M.

.97 Gs and an extraordinary lane change time suggests it will be terrific on the track. And additional power -- for those concerned about its "deficit" relative to the Audi -- is easily obtained.

Plus I really liked the reference to the Z3 M Coupe!

Neil

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #148
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Call C&D and cancel your subsription ASAP!

This was one of their worst written articles (and they have had many). While I do have a horse in the race (the 1///M), I feel the TTRS was unjustly castrated by the reviewer. With acceleration and 1/4 miles numbers like that, it is clearly the performance favorite. But throw in a very dubious point scoring system in which you reward the 1///M for rebates (WTF?!), and penalize the TTRS for rear seating room, and you can have a comparo that can make the winner be whomever gave the most sponsorship dollars to the rag. Oh wait, we know who that is...

The entire comparo made no sense. Let's see, you are comparing a car in full Eurospec form which won't even be offered here (DCT + LC, less weight, less power, etc.) Versus, a prototype, weighing less than even the base stripper 1 ///M would come in at (no xenons, auto climate controls, etc.) And while it, why not throw in something even more queer in this fruit salad, like an Infiniti that has no business being there in the first place. Yet C&D, in the very same issue, had a review/write-up on the Cayman R, and Boss Mustang, which would have made more sense to include in this test (the Cayman R would have absolutely obliterated everyone).

That's my biggest issue with US car cargs, they get too blinded by the dollars manufacturers throw their way that their opinions lose independence and are very biased.

My advice C&D: wait 2 more months, get a REAL 1///M, a REAL US-Spec TTRS manual, throw against them cars that will either have a chance or perhaps will do better (in the same price range that is), and forget for a moment who is paying for your skinny lattes, and write an OBJECTIVE review...

what makes you think they won't.... I bet they make another for the top two when the production cars are available
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #149
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Has anyone brought up that C&D says G37 has the most steering feedback?!? Hello BMW, you listening? The 1M should have been the 135i. Not many of you guys are around in 2007 when BMW first marketed it. BMW used the M letter so much in the 135i press release, M shifting knob, M steering, M tuned suspensions. To make 1M a true M car BMW should have drop a new power plant.

I am not going to take cost savings or limited production timeline as an excuse. If so then don't build one till next gen 1 series. M is suppose to be perfection. Any compromise to reduce cost, increase profit, at the cost of perfection is an attack on the M brand.

Last edited by Robert; 03-28-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #150
poverty
Rep

Quote:
Yes poverty we see your vid on the german car forum..cant see the official time slip though.

Troll on sir...

let me upload the video on to youtube so you can see for yourself....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #151
wrxnmini
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i DINAN

Garage List
2010 135i c  [0.00]
Question dinan vs 1m

how about compare to DINAN 135i ?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #152
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poverty View Post

let me upload the video on to youtube so you can see for yourself....
You miss the point. We don't care. We see you bashing the 1M on your Audi forums and how you are lining up races between your TT and stage 1 1M's.

Still trying to figure out why you join the 1addicts forum...so you can talk about your great Audi? You are wasting your time.

If all we cared about was 0-60 times we would all have Mustangs.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #153
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxnmini View Post
how about compare to DINAN 135i ?
Why?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #154
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

i think his input is relevant to this ongoing discussion regarding the ttrs. just because he's not necessarily allied to the 1m doesn't mean we can shun him. we canadians should be appreciative of diverse viewpoints.

Quote:
You miss the point. We don't care. We see you bashing the 1M on your Audi forums and how you are lining up races between your TT and stage 1 1M's.

Still trying to figure out why you join the 1addicts forum...so you can talk about your great Audi? You are wasting your time.

If all we cared about was 0-60 times we would all have Mustangs.
Appreciate 0