BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
zz135i
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i vert

Tint help

What percentage tint would you guys recommend for my 135i? Also any specific brands or are they all the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Not to be "that guy," but there are tons of threads on the topic - Search Button is your friend. However, since you ask...

-Percentage depends on your wants, and you interior + exterior color. E.g. Tint on a darker color exterior and interior will look darker than the same tint on a lighter car.
-Other's will add several names, but Forumula 1 Pinnacle and Huper Optik are 2 nicer brands. (don't buy cheap tint)
-I'll also mention that you should avoid certain tint materials (metallics, etc.) because of the keyless entry system, navigation, etc.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
30-40% seem to be popular since they coincide with legal limits.
      04-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
30-40% seem to be popular since they coincide with legal limits.
NOOO he's from NJ.. their tint law is NONE on wind shield NONE on front driver/passenger windows.

Tips:
IMO, If you're from a state (like NJ) dont worry about expensive tint.. just go with a basic cheaper one (not complete shit but something like johnson film) if you're gona go dark. Chances are you're gona get a ticket and dont wana pay any more then $40 to retint your fronts.

Like mentioned before stay away from metallic.. messes with your cell phone, radar detector, any remote electronic with the antenna inside the car and you outside the car

Lighter color paint color makes your darker tint even darker..

Darker color interior makes your lighter tint appear darker..

Try not to vary more then 10% from front to back IMO makes it look cheesy

if you're running.. say 35% all around.. tinting the windshield helps keep the car A LOT cooler and will make the 35% all around look like 20% =)

Most people go 20% all around or 35% front 15%/20% rear.

Tinting the front windshield us usually done at around 60%.. it isn't noticeable.. HOWEVER with overcast or driving under trees and buildings your front windshield looks like a mirror making it no good infront of your local friendly law enforcement officer..

Open your sunroof when you get pulled over to make the inside of your car look brighter.. pulling over under street lamps at night will help too =)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@e2design View Post
NOOO he's from NJ.. their tint law is NONE on wind shield NONE on front driver/passenger windows.

Tips:
IMO, If you're from a state (like NJ) dont worry about expensive tint.. just go with a basic cheaper one (not complete shit but something like johnson film) if you're gona go dark. Chances are you're gona get a ticket and dont wana pay any more then $40 to retint your fronts.

Like mentioned before stay away from metallic.. messes with your cell phone, radar detector, any remote electronic with the antenna inside the car and you outside the car

Lighter color paint color makes your darker tint even darker..

Darker color interior makes your lighter tint appear darker..

Try not to vary more then 10% from front to back IMO makes it look cheesy

if you're running.. say 35% all around.. tinting the windshield helps keep the car A LOT cooler and will make the 35% all around look like 20% =)

Most people go 20% all around or 35% front 15%/20% rear.

Tinting the front windshield us usually done at around 60%.. it isn't noticeable.. HOWEVER with overcast or driving under trees and buildings your front windshield looks like a mirror making it no good infront of your local friendly law enforcement officer..

Open your sunroof when you get pulled over to make the inside of your car look brighter.. pulling over under street lamps at night will help too =)
Ohhh... I didn't realize he was from NJ! Lucky him... unfortunately Georgia isn't to keen on dark tint period. They just moved it up from 35-39 or so
      04-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Ohhh... I didn't realize he was from NJ! Lucky him... unfortunately Georgia isn't to keen on dark tint period. They just moved it up from 35-39 or so
NONE as in not allowed at all.. any tint over our front windows illegal =(
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I've got The Formula 1 Pinnacle tint on mine. Tint is great but it is pricey. About 2-2.5x the price of most decent tints. I paid $350, minus a 10% coupon I found for the installer on Google, for 35% front side windows and 15% rear side windows and rear windshield.

Tints on the front windows are illegal in Delaware but I've never seen a cop even look at me.
Appreciate 0