mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978.530i View Post
Let me re-phrase. I hope this fantastic idea actually turns out to be "1 of 1200" in the US market so my #2 deposit at my local dealer has a chance at an allocation. If that happens, I won't need a plaque to remind me how special the car is, or how lucky I am, but I won't begrudge anyone who wants one.
I hope you get your car, despite your sarcasm.
      07-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #46
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

///Metak, after you complete your registry list, we'll be able to get these going to all that are interested and actually know how many 1M's there are at the end.

AWESOME JOB, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #47
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I hope you get your car, despite your sarcasm.
Relax man, The guy made an off hand statement because he is worried about getting a car (same as me). I think his point was that selling more cars would be better time spent for BMW than making a plaque..

I have had a deposit down (#1 at my dealer since Feb) and still have no allocation number or anything else that says I'm getting a car, and if at this late point in the game someone at BMW is spending time making plaques rather than making sure people know if and when they will get their cars, then I agree =)

Cars 1st, plaques second. (And I do want a plaque!)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #48
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Relax man, The guy made an off hand statement because he is worried about getting a car (same as me). I think his point was that selling more cars would be better time spent for BMW than making a plaque..

I have had a deposit down (#1 at my dealer since Feb) and still have no allocation number or anything else that says I'm getting a car, and if at this late point in the game someone at BMW is spending time making plaques rather than making sure people know if and when they will get their cars, then I agree =)

lol, I am relaxed. Why is this being brought up again? I was being genuine when I said I hope he gets his car. He's the one who called the idea "silly" and then sarcastically said it was a "great" idea. If someone doesn't like the idea or wants to complain about availability, there are threads where you can cry about that. We all struggled with that one.

Besides, I am not expecting BMW to do the plaques for NA anyway and I don't see how talking about stickers and plaques is going slow down production of 1m's. I am just trying to get someway of individualizing and commemorating this limited production vehicle on my own. At least this thread can give you something positive to think about while you wait.

I hope you get your car as well....really.
      07-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #49
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post

lol, I am relaxed. Why is this being brought up again? I was being genuine when I said I hope he gets his car. He's the one who called the idea "silly" and then sarcastically said it was a "great" idea. If someone doesn't like the idea or wants to complain about availability, there are threads where you can cry about that. We all struggled with that one.

Besides, I am not expecting BMW to do the plaques for NA anyway and I don't see how talking about stickers and plaques is going slow down production of 1m's. I am just trying to get someway of individualizing and commemorating this limited production vehicle on my own. At least this thread can give you something positive to think about while you wait.

I hope you get your car as well....really.
My continuing anxiety got the better of me in my first 2 posts. I withdraw my earlier sarcasm. I didn't mean for it to be taken personally or as meaningful criticism of the idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #50
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE:

Here is a prototype I had made. It's 'reverse' cut to go on the inside of the glass to stay protected from the weather or people with sticky fingers. It could be made with any color but I chose standard gray. A final production number would be needed of course.

2 Style Options:

ONE of final production#
or
actual # /final production

10-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #51
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

VERY NICE!!!!

if we are going through all the trouble then actual production number is what I vote for.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #52
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm all for the plaque as soon as we get some final units produced for the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #53
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Like the idea ///Metak, except much along the lines of your style of downsizing (badges, spoilers, et all ;-o) I'd opt for a more subtle font size. Just my preference.

One other thing, many folks will be tinting their windows, depending on the the % film it may or may not show.

Are you guys totally opposed to the UK-style plaque? I feel it would be better suited in the car, than the attention grabber of putting it on a window. Just my $0.02
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #54
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Im in. Personally dont like the plaque on the dash, maybe somewhere else. Sticker is good, but I feel would 'degrade' over time/broken window.

I still need to enter my VIN on the other thread.

And, post my ED story like I promised.

Order the car cover.

Oh, and the mats! I want those mats

so busy......

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #55
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Like the idea, but I would go with something more subtle. Kinda like the 13.1 and 26.2 stickers on peoples cars where half the general public doesn't know what it means.

A simple SMALL sticker with the M Logo and 127/800 underneath would be cool and only people that knew what the car was would likely know what it means.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #56
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

that sticker is asking for trouble
      10-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #57
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
VERY NICE!!!!

if we are going through all the trouble then actual production number is what I vote for.
I prefer the actual production versus a generic ONE of..., but the custom one would be twice as much because you would have to a few hundred individually numbered vs. just tool for one generic and band them out all at once. It all depends on the interest of members here. At the very least I will have it done on my car and the few members that want to do it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
....I'd opt for a more subtle font size. Just my preference.....One other thing, many folks will be tinting their windows, depending on the the % film it may or may not show....
I can do smaller. Also, if you do it in white it should show up fine through the tint. Also, if you are going for more subtle the tint should help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
Im in.....but I feel would 'degrade' over time/broken window......
The fact that it is reverse cut to stick on the inside of the window, this decal would hold up for many years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Like the idea, but I would go with something more subtle. A simple SMALL sticker with the M Logo and 127/800 underneath would be cool and only people that knew what the car was would likely know what it means.
I like it. Kinda like ///M 127/800 idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
Really? How so?
      10-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #58
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

actual # /final production all the way. it adds to the exclusivity as opposed to just saying "one" of (even though the reference to the 1M is cool and all). the only thing i'm concerned with is that i am getting tint. i wouldn't really want to put this over the tint (not sure if there would be issues with this or not). what would you think of a format that was like the following:

///Motorsport
Limited - XXX/750

Smaller font, a little slightly more understated?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #59
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
I can do smaller. Also, if you do it in white it should show up fine through the tint. Also, if you are going for more subtle the tint should help with that.
-----
The fact that it is reverse cut to stick on the inside of the window, this decal would hold up for many years to come.
-----
you address my thoughts as well...so disregard

nice job in taking this one. it's MUCH appreciated. i know how hard it is to coordinate even the smallest things sometime, and consider everyone's picky requests!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #60
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Ohh, I also like this format w/ your actual prod #. Thank you again for dedicating the time to sort this.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #61
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
+1 Especially if you live in a big city and park your car in public places often.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #62
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I'm w/ tkBr0wn as far as content goes.

//M
xxx/800.

The french plaques were pretty nice. I would not mind something along those lines.

Also, weren't the mods talking to BMWNA about this? The last couple of threads we had going were locked down with a promise that 'something would be worked out'.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #63
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
The last couple of threads we had going were locked down with a promise that 'something would be worked out'.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #64
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
+1 Especially if you live in a big city and park your car in public places often.
Either I am naive or you two are paranoid. I park in big city public places all the time. What exactly are you guys alluding to? Is the 1" tall sticker going to be so offensive to someone that they might damage your car? Or is it going to attract car thieves? I saw an older Mcoupe with a similar decal(slightly smaller) and it never occured to me that the owner was "asking for trouble", I actually thought "cool, not so many of those were made." Maybe I'm missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
The french plaques were pretty nice. I would not mind something along those lines.

Also, weren't the mods talking to BMWNA about this? The last couple of threads we had going were locked down with a promise that 'something would be worked out'.
Well, the French decals are really the inspiration for the prototype that I have.

If BMW come through with something, great. This thread is not intended to muscle BMWNA into doing something but rather doing something for ourselves as forum members. No need to shut this thread down from that perspective.

BTW, sticker dimensions are 1" tall(for the capital letters) by 18" wide. Also can be done with a .75" high. The decal is far more subtle IRL because as the glass reflection obscures the sticker on the inside and the photo above is taken up close making it look rather large.

Last edited by mPlasticDesign; 10-04-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #65
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Either I am naive or you two are paranoid. I park in big city public places all the time. What exactly are you guys alluding to? Is the 1" tall sticker going to be so offensive to someone that they might damage your car? Or is it going to attract car thieves? I saw an older Mcoupe with a similar decal(slightly smaller) and it never occured to me that the owner was "asking for trouble", I actually thought "cool, not so many of those were made." Maybe I'm missing something?
It's just that people suck. You thought the MCoupe sticker was cool because your an enthusiast. You live in a big city and your car is too clean you get spat on (never happend to me but have read it on forums before). I just don't want to invite the headache so for me a plaque would suit me just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #66
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0