BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #4863
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
yeah thanks there are a couple that will fit. in particular the Nuna Pipa is the one i am after....very small and very safe! Other 1-series owners have had success with various other seats as well...

Nice. That will last a few months. Then, the bigger rear facing will be needed. The seat might fit but putting the kid in would be another story. It can be done but it can be a royal pain as well (unless it's a convertible =)). Just saying...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #4864
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
Nice. That will last a few months. Then, the bigger rear facing will be needed. The seat might fit but putting the kid in would be another story. It can be done but it can be a royal pain as well (unless it's a convertible =)). Just saying...
it's for babies up to 32 lbs and 32 inches. Should easily last for at least a year or more. The height will be the determining factor i suppose right?? it's small but not THAT small. Just very well made and compact in design compared to the other bulkier (and cheaper) car seats.

what kind of seats have you used previously? I looked at lots of them but found this to be the nicest one out there thus far..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #4865
Kev!n
master of my domain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Once my daughter was in a front facing seat I decided to purchase one for my 1er. I ended up going with a Recaro and it's worked out pretty well. Even with my wife in the passenger seat there's enough room for both of them. My wife calls it "tolerable".

When she was an infant and rear facing we had a Chicco Keyfit 30 but I never tried installing it in the 1 so I can't vouch for space in that scenario, but I think it will be a stretch to have the front passenger seat usable with a rear facing seat behind it.

Here's a shot of it installed and one of it from the side window only because I think it looks pretty cool to have the Recaro name showing from the outside.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #4866
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev!n View Post
Once my daughter was in a front facing seat I decided to purchase one for my 1er. I ended up going with a Recaro and it's worked out pretty well. Even with my wife in the passenger seat there's enough room for both of them. My wife calls it "tolerable".

When she was an infant and rear facing we had a Chicco Keyfit 30 but I never tried installing it in the 1 so I can't vouch for space in that scenario, but I think it will be a stretch to have the front passenger seat usable with a rear facing seat behind it.

Here's a shot of it installed and one of it from the side window only because I think it looks pretty cool to have the Recaro name showing from the outside.
thanks! the forward facing should be no problem..but the rear facing is the stressful one! fortunately we will be walking and using the subway and buses for most of our time with the baby....but on the weekends the baby will roll with me when we are driving somewhere out of the city.

the key to rear facing is to use the CENTER....which is actually safer and nicer in all ways. Here's a photo of a 135 with a HUGE Britax Chaperone comfortably fitting in the center which i found on 1addicts. The smaller seats have no difficulty fitting in the center....even better than this one!

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #4867
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
it's for babies up to 32 lbs and 32 inches. Should easily last for at least a year or more. The height will be the determining factor i suppose right?? it's small but not THAT small. Just very well made and compact in design compared to the other bulkier (and cheaper) car seats.

what kind of seats have you used previously? I looked at lots of them but found this to be the nicest one out there thus far..
You could always just buy a Honda Pilot.....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #4868
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

I've only tried the Britax Parkway booster on the 1 so far for my oldest. We tried it both with the back and without it. Due to the very upright position of the rear seat, he was more comfortable with just the bottom of the seat installed. We haven't tried it with our younger one yet. From the looks of it, his car seat might be too wide. Getting in and out will be too much a pain for me. This is the reason why we have a Q7 TDI and my Jettasportwagen TDI. =)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #4869
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
thanks! the forward facing should be no problem..but the rear facing is the stressful one! fortunately we will be walking and using the subway and buses for most of our time with the baby....but on the weekends the baby will roll with me when we are driving somewhere out of the city.

the key to rear facing is to use the CENTER....which is actually safer and nicer in all ways. Here's a photo of a 135 with a HUGE Britax Chaperone comfortably fitting in the center which i found on 1addicts. The smaller seats have no difficulty fitting in the center....even better than this one!

It will fit fine. Getting it in and out will be the painful part. Since you will not be doing it on a daily basis, you might just be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #4870
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Butts

My babies' butts. Hmm, which to take...which to take...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #4871
parish99
Maveric
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 BSM

Doesnt seem like that hard of a decision to me
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #4872
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

You need a car that can park between the lines. =)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #4873
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

AHHH, that's better!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #4874
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Got a system in place with a woman at work who backs her CRV in between them. Though I may just get a 3rd car.

Quote:
AHHH, that's better!
If only that 2-series active tourer were available here. =( Just think of all the mountain biking and arson I could do.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #4875
128GP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 328i 6sp RWD M Sport

Quote:
You might want to start looking for a car seat that can fit the rear seats for the 1. I tried a variety from our collection, and it is pretty hard since the car seats tend to be rather wide. The first couple of years will be cramped most especially when the baby is facing backwards. Just speaking from experience...
my infant rear facing wasnt too much of a problem. However whenmy kid turned 1 a few months ago, we changed to the bigger convertible. I didnt even try installing that rear facing in the 1er. It may fit, but would require the jaws of life to get the kid in and out regularly. Thus, I am without a babyseat until he turns two and goes forward facing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #4876
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
AHHH, that's better!
Don't give Greg any ideas... he just might be open to a 3rd car in his stable!

In related news, Bimmer sent me two copies of the same issue... which I choose to interpret as a clear sign from above that I should get another BMW to join the 135is. M2 anybody?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #4877
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post

In related news, Bimmer sent me two copies of the same issue... which I choose to interpret as a clear sign from above that I should get another BMW to join the 135is. M2 anybody?
I'm looking at the M2 as well...
      04-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #4878
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post

Just remember, that according to my spoiled rich wife logic, I actually SAVED $20k+ by getting the Golf R over the Polestar S60. I could use an electric car in my fleet. Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I'm looking at the M2 as well...
Wish they'd reveal that darn M2 already. I don't think I'll have much interest in it based on my dislike of the 235, but I haven't driven an M3/M4 to get an idea/taste of what it might be like. probably better that I don't.

The big question is really whether they may limit production of the M2 and keep the numbers artificially low. I asked the dealer about that on Saturday and while they typically don't seem to know jack, he said he kinda thinks they might. I love that then another sales guy came over to bother me as I was wandering around and sitting in the showroom cars while waiting for my car, and when I said I might be interested down the road in an M2 when it comes out, he points to the m235 convertible and goes, "it's right there!" Ugh...ummm, noooooo.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #4879
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Just remember, that according to my spoiled rich wife logic, I actually SAVED $20k+ by getting the Golf R over the Polestar S60. I could use an electric car in my fleet. Hmm....

Wish they'd reveal that darn M2 already. I don't think I'll have much interest in it based on my dislike of the 235, but I haven't driven an M3/M4 to get an idea/taste of what it might be like. probably better that I don't.

The big question is really whether they may limit production of the M2 and keep the numbers artificially low. I asked the dealer about that on Saturday and while they typically don't seem to know jack, he said he kinda thinks they might. I love that then another sales guy came over to bother me as I was wandering around and sitting in the showroom cars while waiting for my car, and when I said I might be interested down the road in an M2 when it comes out, he points to the m235 convertible and goes, "it's right there!" Ugh...ummm, noooooo.
i have 0% interest in the M2. I would LOVE to have an F80 M3 join the 1M in my garage in a couple of years though....and am currently aiming for that to happen....assuming i can get my fiscal shit together....which probably won't happen because i suck at money management.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #4880
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
i have 0% interest in the M2. I would LOVE to have an F80 M3 join the 1M in my garage in a couple of years though....and am currently aiming for that to happen....assuming i can get my fiscal shit together....which probably won't happen because i suck at money management.
Ya, I'm with you. I don't have much interest in getting one, though I'm still just curious to see what it looks like and what have you. But I don't think it will do a thing for me. Have you driven an M3/M4 yet? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it, especially compared to your 1M. I have zero interest in those, too personally for me. I heard you would get a new CTS-V wagon if they made it. =P
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #4881
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Ya, I'm with you. I don't have much interest in getting one, though I'm still just curious to see what it looks like and what have you. But I don't think it will do a thing for me. Have you driven an M3/M4 yet? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it, especially compared to your 1M. I have zero interest in those, too personally for me. I heard you would get a new CTS-V wagon if they made it. =P
I have been meaning to go and drive an M3 just to see how it is.....but haven't had a chance. will do so sometime soon hopefully. will let you know....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #4882
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I have been meaning to go and drive an M3 just to see how it is.....but haven't had a chance. will do so sometime soon hopefully. will let you know....
BE CAREFUL! I went to see/drive a Golf R just to see how it was and to gauge the S3 and 2016 TTS...and now I have one! Sometimes it's very dangerous to just go see. =P

But know that the cloth seats in the M3/M4, or at least the one I sat in on Saturday really had a strong "natural fiber" smell to them that was really overpowering. Only way I could keep a spec'd one under $70k was to fit it with cloth seats, but who the hell wants to then have a $70k car with cloth seats?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #4883
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
BE CAREFUL! I went to see/drive a Golf R just to see how it was and to gauge the S3 and 2016 TTS...and now I have one! Sometimes it's very dangerous to just go see. =P

But know that the cloth seats in the M3/M4, or at least the one I sat in on Saturday really had a strong "natural fiber" smell to them that was really overpowering. Only way I could keep a spec'd one under $70k was to fit it with cloth seats, but who the hell wants to then have a $70k car with cloth seats?
haha.....ahhh the benefits of being financially idiotic. with my 1M payments i can't afford an M3 even if i wanted one.....and i would NEVER trade my 1M for it.....no matter how good it was.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #4884
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Part of me is rooting against the M2 (just so I don't get tempted) but it's honestly too early to tell how good/bad the car will be. Soon we'll all be able to make an informed decision!

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/04/12/bm...lencia-orange/