BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Kobeballer's 128i build / pictures thread.

Hello I will start by introducing myself. My name is Orlando I'm 23 years old, bodybuilding and cars runs heavy in my blood. Currently employed with the US Army so I will be busy most of the time. None of my cars have ever been sponsored by mommy and daddy. I've Bust my ass for all my cars.

I've never made a thread like this before but I'm going to start one and update it every time something new happens! Enjoy

Previous cars
2002 satin sliver civic SI (ep3) 210whp

Mods

*hasport solid motor mounts
*k20a3 (stock) motor swap to k20a2
*rsx type s 6 speed transmission swap
*hondata
*competition stage 4 6 puck unsprung clutch
*competition lightweight flywheel (7lbs)
*buddy club catless race header
*HKS cat back exhaust
*RBC intake Manifold
*injen intake
*battery relocated in the rear
*gutted rear interior and paneling
*rota slip streams
*H&R springs

2nd
Previous car fully loaded
Metro grey 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
(412tq/ 378whp on e85 and meth)

Mods

*Cobb AP
*Freak tune
*corksport downpipe
*turbo xs test pipe
* E cut out with remote switch
*cobb turbo inlet pipe
*cobb SRI
*CX racing FMIC
*Turbo XS BPV
*sure Motorsport solid Transmission mount
*meth Snow kit
*Autotech High pressure fuel pump
*turbosmart boost gauge
* Nitto Nt555 tires all around

Current car went to the dark side euro style lol

My 2009 space Grey 128i bought jan 2013 with 12k miles
*N52
*6 Speed MT
*sun roof (sadly lol)
*sports package
*cold weather package
*idrive / Nav
*comfort access
*adaptive xenon headlights

Current mods installed
*H&R sport springs
*matte black kidney grill
*black gloss vinyl wrap roof
*de badged
* factory bmw rear euro fog switch

Mods pending to be installed

*ECS slotted rotors front and rear
*Pagid blue sport pads front and rear
*motul High temp Brake fluid
*Sparco Assesto gara 17s
*BFG rivals 225/45/17 square setup
*Dinan camber plates
*e92 M3 steering wheel Tri stitch colors with alcantara trim
*Rear seat Delete

Mazdaspeed 3

Current Let the games begin

trying to catch some air. my stomach dropped here haha coming full throttle after the bridge on the ring.

My buddy tim and his fully built STI on a Gt30r caught fire the first time we went to the track

Last edited by kobeballer96; 02-15-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

This will be good.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

track car with stock dampening?

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto View Post
track car with stock dampening?

Will update with pictures soon, and hey it's not a full track car yet, it's still my DD / weekend warrior. I'm looking at the same coil over setup stig is running maybe even air suspension, I saw a thread over at e90post about it. A 1addict member used it on his 1 series. I don't make a lot of money, being that I am new in the military and lower enlisted do not make much at all. Give me break
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Will update with pictures soon, and hey it's not a full track car yet, it's still my DD / weekend warrior. I'm looking at the same coil over setup stig is running maybe even air suspension, I saw a thread over at e90post about it. A 1addict member used it on his 1 series. I don't make a lot of money, being that I am new in the military and lower enlisted do not make much at all. Give me break
I would skip the air suspension, never seen any legitimately performance focused version for these cars.

Daft is 100% correct though, upgrading the dampers should be the top of your list. Hold off on the M3 steering wheel/ECS rotors and get a set of Koni Yellows. Massive upgrade over stock, and will be a requirement for a predictable car on track once you get that BFG Rival setup. And if money is an issue, they are ~$3000 cheaper than what I'm running.
      02-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
After the tune and DISA, the suspension is next for me. I'm thinking of going with coilovers, but nothing crazy. I'm thinking D2 or KW coilovers, both I can get for a grand. Kobeballer I would deff do suspension next. The brakes are good for stock power, the BFG's will improve the stopping distance. I can't wait to see all the progress on your car!
      02-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_1 View Post
After the tune and DISA, the suspension is next for me. I'm thinking of going with coilovers, but nothing crazy. I'm thinking D2 or KW coilovers, both I can get for a grand. Kobeballer I would deff do suspension next. The brakes are good for stock power, the BFG's will improve the stopping distance. I can't wait to see all the progress on your car!
D2 does not make products that apply to function. Their website pretty clearly spells out their focus. Where are you seeing KW coils for $1k? I thought they started near $1600+
      02-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I would skip the air suspension, never seen any legitimately performance focused version for these cars.

Daft is 100% correct though, upgrading the dampers should be the top of your list. Hold off on the M3 steering wheel/ECS rotors and get a set of Koni Yellows. Massive upgrade over stock, and will be a requirement for a predictable car on track once you get that BFG Rival setup. And if money is an issue, they are ~$3000 cheaper than what I'm running.

That will be what I'll save up for next then, and all the stuff pending I already have lol. It's all sitting in my storage room in Germany waiting for me to install unless I sale it all for coilovers. Besides the tires and all. I know cheap and reliable do not fall in the same line but what's a good setup for my bang of buck?
I was going to touch the control arms next but might hold off. The engine and headers and tune and disa will be the last part of the puzzle. You got to be able to use the power you have to the max of your ability. I'm not scared to push the car hard enough either. At Sinister_1 when we go the ring I'll show you power isn't everything hehe I'll have you follow me.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That will be what I'll save up for next then, and all the stuff pending I already have lol. It's all sitting in my storage room in Germany waiting for me to install unless I sale it all for coilovers. Besides the tires and all. I know cheap and reliable do not fall in the same line but what's a good setup for my bang of buck?
I want going to touch the control arms next but might hold off. The engine and headers and tune and disa will be the last part of the puzzle. You got to be able to use the power you have to the max of your ability. I'm not scared to push the car hard enough either. At Sinister_1 when we go the ring I'll show you power isn't everything hehe I'll have you follow me.
Struts and subframe bushings make the most difference.
      02-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Struts and subframe bushings make the most difference.
sir yes sir
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sir yes sir
You will be shocked at the change.

Despite what one thinks when they first drive the car, we actually have a really nice chassis.
      02-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
Dafttt
Captain
Rep

TheSt|G nailed it. I wasn't taking a poke at finances, just hoping you'd take a notice and priority in dampening.

Optimized ride height has been discussed a lot here, with some arguing a 1" drop is all you need. A set of Koni's, with your springs and camber plates, will get you within ~90% of the performance of decent coilovers- of course minus the (unnecessary) height adjustment. They'll match well with your existing setup, and save you a fortune.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto View Post
TheSt|G nailed it. I wasn't taking a poke at finances, just hoping you'd take a notice and priority in dampening.

Optimized ride height has been discussed a lot here, with some arguing a 1" drop is all you need. A set of Koni's, with your springs and camber plates, will get you within ~90% of the performance of decent coilovers- of course minus the (unnecessary) height adjustment. They'll match well with your existing setup, and save you a fortune.
I discussed it at length with TCK to back up my observations, anything below 1" of drop is starting to become counterproductive.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #14
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

We'll I was doing the math and koni yellows are roughy 700 for the front and rears with shipping. Do I use my stock top hats or does it include some? I was thinking of putting my steering wheel on sale lol but really don't want to haha
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #15
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_1 View Post
You guys knocked some sense into me haha shocks next it is, and I would say the stock 128i brakes are okay, I got them to fade pretty bad on the track. Just after 9 to 10 mins of track time, I had to get off I didn't want to hot lap the car. I had the brakes cooking. I had a incident where I had come to a very very fast deceleration because there was a bike In front of me that was about to wipe out. The bite is alright. I just know when I rode in the M cars the stopping distances were shorter and was quick to where you were locked in by the seatbelt and then back on the gas again. Cooling plates, SS lines, better brake fluid and a good pad should change this, that's the route I'm taking. For rotors OEM or the slotted ones from ecs. Doubt slotted help at all but they look cool haha. Better then drilled and having to deal with stress cracks.

Last edited by kobeballer96; 02-16-2014 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #16
Dafttt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
We'll I was doing the math and koni yellows are roughy 700 for the front and rears with shipping. Do I use my stock top hats or does it include some? I was thinking of putting my steering wheel on sale lol but really don't want to haha
Do not sell that wheel! Take it slow and save up. And try to put the parts on as quick as you can. Having them sit can manifest some dissonance.

I think you use your stock hats, but it's been a while and I might be wrong. Either way, with your springs, you'll need bump stops. Most people go with e36M ones and they're about twenty bucks shipped.

Last edited by Dafttt; 02-18-2014 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #17
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Stock top hats for the Koni yellows. M cars have shorter stopping distances from real tires and a more advanced ABS system.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
bbybimr
Ensign 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i N51 SULEV w/ AT

interesting thread so far... I have narrowed down my suspension needs on my 128 and 1 inch is all I wanted to go simply because the suspension travel isn't their. Roads out here demand more suspension travel and I'm too damn old to be bouncing around in my ride like a lowrider.

So now I'm thinking H&R OE springs or Eiback Pro-Streets and some decent Koni yellows. Haven't decided on a thicker sway bar yet though.
Strut tower brace and some decent rubber on my 17 inch rims.

I don't want to spend a fortune and getting in the 90 percent ballpark of coil-overs is all I'm interested in.

Took a used 2009 135i 6AT for a test ride today and it just didn't wow me as much as I had hoped. I found mine to be nearly as spirited as the 135i. So I figure if I can simply manage the power output more effectively with suspension and rubber and maybe some subframe bushings, I would have a plenty good car to drive for awhile. And when I'm ready I'll just go an get the 135i later.

Kobi good job on the thread. We need more 128 guys out there. We can't all fart in silk underwear....lol

Carry on Lieutenant.
      02-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

The 128 has very soft suspension.

I've tracked my Z4M with a big front bar and stock suspension, but that is a completely animal.

Cant wait to see the progress on the build compared to mine
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #20
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
The 128 has very soft suspension.

I've tracked my Z4M with a big front bar and stock suspension, but that is a completely animal.

Cant wait to see the progress on the build compared to mine
Are you talking about the sport suspension with sport shocks or the base model suspension?

Update more track pictures. I look so scared here elevation drops haha. Have more pictures coming they are just being process right now by the photographers.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

No helmet?!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #22
Dafttt
Captain
Rep

Konis would also give you some adjustability. Nothing like the TCK's of course, but you could at least play with soft/hard settings for daily driving or track use. But the biggest benefit would be the ability to dial in/out understeer at your leisure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
No helmet?!
I wanted to make a joke here, but in all seriousness you should add that to the list. You should wear one even if everyone else doesn't have to.

Anyway, I'm lovin' the track pics!
Appreciate 0