BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
lamj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Black Sapphire

Thumbs down Performance BMW in Chapel Hill, NC

Bought a car from them several years ago and was not impressed with their salesmen at that time. Decided to give them another shot figuring I just had a bad salesman an even worst sales manager. Had the same experience. They were very pressure driven to make the deal, talked me around in circles, had unreasonable expectations as to down payment for preorder and what was considered a fair price. I think that because they are in Chapel Hill they have pretty good business as it's a pretty affluent area so they come across as a snobby dealership. Go to Leith BMW in Raleigh. They have workers there who left Performance BMW for similar reasons. Steer Clear. On the other hand, they (Performance BMW) have a brand new state of the art service department which seems good.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
idonotmatch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

My first experience with Performance was pretty bad, though I do still bring my car to them for service. I'm supposed to swing by today to talk a bit about a 135i with them, so I'll report back on how that goes.

I had a great time dealing with Crown in Greensboro when we leased our 335i. They gave us a great price when the car first came out, along with great service.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
idonotmatch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

I went in today and let it be known that I wasn't ready to purchase and was not hassled in any way. They let me test drive the 6MT 135i that was on the lot and overall the experience was good. If you stop by Performance ask for Shawn. He was extremely helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Interesting, here was my experience with Performance when I was shopping:

1. Call up, talk to a CA and ask about leftover '08 135 'verts. CA says yes, we have 7 or 8 of them. Ask if they have the sport package (many at this point left on the lots didn't). He says yes, most of them.

2. Drive up from Charlotte for my CLE seminar, head over, CA comes out to talk. CA tells me then that they have exactly 1 08 135 left, a stripper step convertible in a bad color combo with none of the options I wanted and had discussed with the CA. Car is in the delivery bay, they had just detailed it for the hard sell I'm guessing. Sales manager comes out, sizes me up, immediately starts bringing the pressure. Insists that I test drive the car, cold starts it, drives it around to the service road in front of the CA and I and floors it. Car goes sideways, he catches it, then redlines the stone cold engine through 2 gears with smoke pouring from the tailpipe.

3. Told the CA I was not impressed, that his sales manager was an idiot, thanked him for his time, got in my car, and left.

I've heard there is a good enthusiast CA or 2 there, but my impression was that they operate with an old-school, tell customers anything to get them on the floor and bring the heat mentality, and I have no time or patience for that. They're a Hendrick store that as said is in an affluent market, and that's how they do things.

I'm not sure if things have changed in the last 9 months with the economy, but my advice is understandably to avoid them like the plague
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Brad135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 FiST

Not meaning to bring a thread back to life other than to second the opinion of dislike for Hendrick's dealerships and past experiences.

BMW should be brand conscious when it comes to licensing dealerships. Steriotypes exist for a reason. Reward the good guys with as much business as you can.

Question??? Are there independent BMW Service locations beyond the officially licensed stealerships?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

What about service

Would you recommend Leith or Performance when it comes to service?

I bought my car at Leith and based on my dealings with the sales department at Performance I'm glad I went to Leith.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

Three trips to Performance, three return trips to fix/correct/complete the work. Next trip will be to Leith.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
135inc
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M-Sport

Wow.

I ordered my 11 135 M-Sport from Performance. They were low pressure, and shot me a better price than Leith, or Flow. The few times I have had my car in they have done a fantastic job, and have taken car of everything I asked for. Very friendly too. Also I have gotten several parts from them, and the parts prices are as good as the web.

So far I have nothing but Praise for them.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

With Regard to Performance BMW Service

I'm learning that nothing good comes from this BMW dealer. The one and only time I've gone in, for the seatbelt tensioner recall at the end of Sept 2010, I also had a rear tire replaced because of a slow leak and the fact I was leaving the country in a couple of days (OEM tire with 4300 miles, the replacement = $463). Not to mention the dealer didn't have a loaner even though I had scheduled the app't two weeks ahead just to get one, or that the Kia rental car I got was dirty, but worse yet, the dealer's hired help managed to pop the paint off my rim when replacing the tire. When I returned home some weeks later, I called them to schedule an annual oil change and to deal with the rim, I never got a call back even after an email to the SA and leaving a message twice as directed at the dealership. I decided to skip the holidays and call them back in the new year. Now I wonder if it's worthwhile to return, considering what else they could screw up.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamj01 View Post
Bought a car from them several years ago and was not impressed with their salesmen at that time. Decided to give them another shot figuring I just had a bad salesman an even worst sales manager. Had the same experience. ...
My impression of Performance sales is they think they're shooting fish in a barrel with the CH crowd, who apparently has more money than common sense. I refuse to deal with them.

Their service department isn't much better and actually sells parts with a generous markup over OEM prices, when these same parts can be had discounted from Tischer BMW in MD online, far, far cheaper, even with shipping.

pge
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
Now I wonder if it's worthwhile to return, considering what else they could screw up.
Do NOT go back but insist they make the situation whole. Long story short I had some work done that took many return trips to get right. In the end some of the work was completed at Leith and billed to Perfomance because I'd had it with Performance's sheer incompetence.

So now I actively tell people to avoid them like the plague.

Last edited by kioneo; 01-03-2011 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135inc View Post
Wow.

I ordered my 11 135 M-Sport from Performance. They were low pressure, and shot me a better price than Leith, or Flow. The few times I have had my car in they have done a fantastic job, and have taken car of everything I asked for. Very friendly too. Also I have gotten several parts from them, and the parts prices are as good as the web.

So far I have nothing but Praise for them.
How much did they pay you to post this? lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
135inc
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenzel View Post
How much did they pay you to post this? lol
They did not. I must just , so far be very lucky. (Knock on simulated wood grain )

I have only had the car in once for Warranty issues, and again for first maintance. Both times I waited for the car. The SA was professional and kept me posted. I've bought oil, filter and a couple of accessories and such from the parts counter. I usually have a web price printed out just in case, but have not had to really argue with them on price.

Having a bad dealer exp, can really ruin the fun of car like the BMW. Based on all the negitive comments, I'll be on alert next trip in.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135inc View Post
... I have only had the car in once for Warranty issues, and again for first maintance. Both times I waited for the car. The SA was professional and kept me posted. ...
Actually, my SA was professional, however, my take on their whole operation is that s/he is the PR hit person for all those they pay at lesser salaries or who are just outright incompetent. The SA doesn't even answer his own email, replies get fobbed off to a lower tier. In reality, it seems the SA is merely a shiny little cog in the whole operation.

For example, when I first called Performance about the seatbelt tensioner recall, I was told by the BMW receptionist that I'd have to leave my car for 3 days, with of course, no offer of a loaner. After I pointed out to her it was stated in the BMW recall letter the work would take about 2 hours, I was put on hold, and thereafter told to call next week and schedule as those parts would be in.

When I called back to reschedule, they had the necessary parts, and were able to schedule me a loaner at my insistence but only 2 weeks further out, however, when I showed up, alas no loaner. The SA was righteously indigent, but in the end, even the Kia rental was dirty.

About three weeks later after returning from abroad, I sent an email to the SA re an annual oil change and wanting to deal with the paint they popped off my wheel when they installed the $463 RFT. I got a call from a lower tier person, who when I called twice only connected to a voice mail (and I left a message with contact info), however, I never got a call back to schedule a return visit.

FYI, this was at the end of September 2010.

pge

Last edited by ennislaw; 01-05-2011 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

I haven't had my 135 worked on there but I have had work done there in the past. I know what you mean... they definitely are not the most hospitable dealers around.
Appreciate 0