BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #45
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
after watching your videos and seeing what you did, I think I could have shaved a second or two off my run. The two places I kept losing time were that right hander at the sand pile where I would brake too much, then not accelerate enough through the bumpy as hell section into box thing, and the other was that last little right/left thing just before the finish line where I would slow down, bog, and crawl across the line instead of carrying some speed.

I want to go on a ride-along with you next time.
You are more than welcome to come for a ride a long. Watching the videos myself I can see where I messed up some more, I record them so I can review them later and see where I can improve more. Walking the course helps tremendously. I do it at least twice during regular season. If the layout is a little bit more technical than I'll do it three times. Also looking ahead and anticipating what is coming up. Do not use throttle as on and off switch, and brake late and brake hard.

Area that gave me the most problems was right at station #4 after the long right sweeper and followed by 3 offset gates and station no #3 (sand pile) I believe I would be able to carry more speed through there after practicing more.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #46
lostkhan
Lieutenant
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Hey Muhammed... this you ??

Greatthat you will be able to come.. ( did you rent a transponder also??.. you will want that for sure ) wher do you live?? we can caravan from LI??

and yeah !! no winters LOL ( p.s. i was still impressed you could pull the time that you did )

Regards,

Alex
Yes its Me. We can caravan together, I live in Hicksville LI and ill have another friend with me also with a 335i. Sorry for being a noob, but what's a transponder and where can i rent one?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #47
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkhan View Post
Yes its Me. We can caravan together, I live in Hicksville LI and ill have another friend with me also with a 335i. Sorry for being a noob, but what's a transponder and where can i rent one?
ahh wise old man once told me " there is no such thing as a stupid question"...

During Registration there is a choice to rent a "transponder" its $35.00 more.. we attach it to your car and that records your lap times at start finish.

see pic attached ( look at the tow hook ) that was me and a friend at Summit point last year ..
Attached Images

03-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #48
lostkhan
Lieutenant
Pakistan
Rep

Quote:
ahh wise old man once told me " there is no such thing as a stupid question"...

During Registration there is a choice to rent a "transponder" its $35.00 more.. we attach it to your car and that records your lap times at start finish.

see pic attached ( look at the tow hook ) that was me and a friend at Summit point last year ..
I am registering on Friday. So i sure will add transponder. Looking forward to Apr 16. There will be alot to learn from you
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #49
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

which wrap are you using? ive seen the roll of temporary wrap in griots before....thought it would be pretty useful for track days & auto-x's

can someone please send me the link for the limerock event? is it a CCA thing?

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #50
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
which wrap are you using? ive seen the roll of temporary wrap in griots before....thought it would be pretty useful for track days & auto-x's
That was my buddies car.. Clear Bra I think.. had a whole roll of it about 36" long.. we started at one end, and went to the other.. then cut out the important holes.. Pretty it aint, but it works.. It helps to tape down edges as the speeds and turbulance tend to tear them free.

I just used painters tape over the expensive headlights / glass fogs. and leading edges... to tell you the truthm the chips i have in my car are from local driving !! never got one at the track.. go figure??
      03-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #51
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post

can someone please send me the link for the limerock event? is it a CCA thing?
i started this thread for all dates of local to us events...

check it out !!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...wpost&t=505166
      03-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #52
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Results are up

http://www.nybmwcca.org/results.php?id=63

E82 Gone. 2013 JKUR on order
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #53
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Looks like I was fastest time with no R-comp tires.

On a sad note and nothing to do with auto-x, I was changing my pads only to discover busted boots and seals in my front calipers. pictures are up in this thread. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441050

I guess no HPDE for me till this is fixed and looking at the price that it will cost me around $500 so no events for me till May at least...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #54
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
Quote:

On a sad note and nothing to do with auto-x, I was changing my pads only to discover busted boots and seals in my front calipers. pictures are up in this thread. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441050

I guess no HPDE for me till this is fixed and looking at the price that it will cost me around $500 so no events for me till May at least...

Grats on best time sans r comps.

Sad to see your brakes in bad shape, but I can't say I don't agree with your concerns for the safety of your kid. Better to sort out the issue before you're in a situation where you need your brakes to work 100%.

Hope you get everything fixed up before the next CCA event

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #55
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post

LUBO.. check your messages in a minute or two..
      03-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #56
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Alex, we were talking about the gopro camera being able to record throttle position, brake force, speed, rpms, ect... at the event. Do you have any more info on that product? I can't find anything about it, although I may be using the wrong keywords to search.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #57
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Alex, we were talking about the gopro camera being able to record throttle position, brake force, speed, rpms, ect... at the event. Do you have any more info on that product? I can't find anything about it, although I may be using the wrong keywords to search.

Thanks
Never saw it myself, only heard about it.. i thik it was acable that went to OBDII port, then camera and it merged everything..

Ill take a look around.. ( grassroots motorsports mag has alot of racing data acq stuff.. ill look there first )
      03-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #58
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
TRY THIS

bought a Traqmate Complete a few months ago, but have only used it for 2 race weekends.
I actually haven't spent a lot of time trying to use the data to improve lap times yet.
I didn't go with the video option due to cost. Instead, I bought a GoPro HD and use that with an older camcorder as a rear facing cam.
I use a program called Race Render to overlay the rear cam and the Traqmate data onto the GoPro video. Making DVD's or playing on a TV through a laptop is easily achieved. That said, I think if you want a learning tool, you will want to use the TraqStudio SW on a laptop. The data overlays make your video's more interesting for showing friends, but don't show the detail needed for lap comparison. You can import GoPro video into Traqstudio - you will have to manually synchronize the video and data stream. That will give you the detailed data along with the video.
Overall comments on my system: 1. It's a pain to start the Go Pro and camcorder manually from the driver's seat. Supposedly, Traqmate is working to be able to sync with GoPro cams.
Once configured, the Traqmate self starts which is nice.
The in car display is quite useful on track for most recent lap time and lap counter.
It's a bit tedious to sync up the 2 video sources with the data stream manually. If you want the least hassle, go with the Traqmate video option - but you do pay a few hundred dollars extra for it.
I wanted a system that would do data acq and HD video, and overlay a rear facing cam all in real time, but determined that systems that can do that cost way more than I would spend.
Enough rambling, but if you really want to look for improving your driving, you will want to do lap comparisons in the Traqmate software. Adding in video (Traqmate or other) to the software will further help see where you were, if traffic was a factor, etc. Probably the best way to find improvements is to compare your data with other drivers' data.
Hope this helps, Neil

I GOT THAT FROM ONE OF MY RACING MAGS???? DONT KNOW IF IT HELPS..
      03-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #59
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
TRY THIS

bought a Traqmate Complete a few months ago, but have only used it for 2 race weekends.
I actually haven't spent a lot of time trying to use the data to improve lap times yet.
I didn't go with the video option due to cost. Instead, I bought a GoPro HD and use that with an older camcorder as a rear facing cam.
I use a program called Race Render to overlay the rear cam and the Traqmate data onto the GoPro video. Making DVD's or playing on a TV through a laptop is easily achieved. That said, I think if you want a learning tool, you will want to use the TraqStudio SW on a laptop. The data overlays make your video's more interesting for showing friends, but don't show the detail needed for lap comparison. You can import GoPro video into Traqstudio - you will have to manually synchronize the video and data stream. That will give you the detailed data along with the video.
Overall comments on my system: 1. It's a pain to start the Go Pro and camcorder manually from the driver's seat. Supposedly, Traqmate is working to be able to sync with GoPro cams.
Once configured, the Traqmate self starts which is nice.
The in car display is quite useful on track for most recent lap time and lap counter.
It's a bit tedious to sync up the 2 video sources with the data stream manually. If you want the least hassle, go with the Traqmate video option - but you do pay a few hundred dollars extra for it.
I wanted a system that would do data acq and HD video, and overlay a rear facing cam all in real time, but determined that systems that can do that cost way more than I would spend.
Enough rambling, but if you really want to look for improving your driving, you will want to do lap comparisons in the Traqmate software. Adding in video (Traqmate or other) to the software will further help see where you were, if traffic was a factor, etc. Probably the best way to find improvements is to compare your data with other drivers' data.
Hope this helps, Neil

I GOT THAT FROM ONE OF MY RACING MAGS???? DONT KNOW IF IT HELPS..
Man, that thing is awesome but the basic transponder alone is like 700. the complete HD package is 1700. A little bit of overkill just to pickup a second or two on an autocross run. Thanks for finding this though, I would have never located this product.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #60
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Tom. I have the rev app. Can ^we not just use that and sync it to gopro video after?

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #61
lostkhan
Lieutenant
Pakistan
Rep

I'll be saving my money to buy more track time before getting a high profile GoPro. More track time can teach u alot more than looking at your video after trackday
Appreciate 0