BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2007, 12:16 AM   #23
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

im sure its worth the tradeoffs but it does seem a bit tall and hefty for the wheelbase. dont worry im still sweatin the shit out of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 04:15 AM   #24
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Pics look great, thanks .
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #25
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
We've been looking at spyshots for a VERY long time now. Just now expressing worries of top-heaviness is a little bizarre. There have been no major surprises/dissappointments for me thus far. I can guarantee its not as top heavy as a 335i conv.

Yes, I agree...this looks absolutely perfect. I do notice that the various blue mules are being shot with zoom lenses which can pull proportion out of whack, especially digital zooms.
Nevertheless, the 1-er is Euclydian...harmolodic, whatever. It looks great. No, amend that...it looks stinkin' pefecto.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #26
BIG4
Tiny little noooob
Rep
Drives:

Hi everyone!

I ve been following the forum for quite a while now, but didn't really have the time to join. Too many things to do, too many places to go if you know what i mean.

Anyway, i ve been waiting for the einser coupe for a long time now and almost two weeks ago i was ready - hand in pocket- for a downpayment on the 3-door version but decided to wait a bit more. I hope that the ol' saying "good things come to those who wait" will come true for this one.

As for the more stiff suspension mentioned earlier i would like to note,if i am not mistaken, that the picture of the car is taken either in the 'mini carousel' curve or the carousel itself the 'Ring. As you all know its quite a scary one and very very inclined. The inclined plane of the curve goes to about half-width of the track so in that photo the left side of the car is in the "barrel" and the other on the level piece of track hence the 'jurky' effect. Just a thought...
The video that surfaced earlier showed that the car has quite a lot of grip so i dont think its a big deal anyway, i m just thinking out loud.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your welcome!:smile: :smile:

Big4
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #27
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG4 View Post
Hi everyone!

I ve been following the forum for quite a while now, but didn't really have the time to join. Too many things to do, too many places to go if you know what i mean.

Anyway, i ve been waiting for the einser coupe for a long time now and almost two weeks ago i was ready - hand in pocket- for a downpayment on the 3-door version but decided to wait a bit more. I hope that the ol' saying "good things come to those who wait" will come true for this one.

As for the more stiff suspension mentioned earlier i would like to note,if i am not mistaken, that the picture of the car is taken either in the 'mini carousel' curve or the carousel itself the 'Ring. As you all know its quite a scary one and very very inclined. The inclined plane of the curve goes to about half-width of the track so in that photo the left side of the car is in the "barrel" and the other on the level piece of track hence the 'jurky' effect. Just a thought...
The video that surfaced earlier showed that the car has quite a lot of grip so i dont think its a big deal anyway, i m just thinking out loud.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your welcome!:smile: :smile:

Big4
Welcome aboard man...and cool observations.
      05-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #28
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

Also new here....

My concensus on the car is that it's going to be smaller than most are imagining, but even with the "top heavy" look, it's going to be quite nimble...

Sorry if it has been answered, but in another thread I read this car was debuting end of May/beginning of June... is that still the plan? Anyone know where we'll see it??

Also, once it's released, is everyone expecting it to get backordered from dealers and take a while to take delivery?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

As an aside have you guys seen the pics in C&D. On the Cover they have a pic that has been on here before which they call the 135i (it is obvious that it has an M-Sport package).

But the one that concerns me is the pic on page 50. It is Horrible. And I hope that is not truely representative. I don't think it is b/c none of the spy shots look like it, or drawings from AutoBild.

Check it out
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #30
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post
As an aside have you guys seen the pics in C&D. On the Cover they have a pic that has been on here before which they call the 135i (it is obvious that it has an M-Sport package).

But the one that concerns me is the pic on page 50. It is Horrible. And I hope that is not truely representative. I don't think it is b/c none of the spy shots look like it, or drawings from AutoBild.

Check it out

That's interesting. I haven't see it...I've got a subscription but it seems to arrive after it's already on the newstands.
Automobile magazine has George Kacher as their European correspondent-
and he seems much more reliable with insider info and photos.

Welcome also to Wiggum and Big4. :smile:
From what I've heard BMWpress office is supposed to be releasing pics of the 1-er today! So obviously that's wrong.
What we know for sure is that the real thing debuts in person in Frankfurt in September.
But, I won't be surprised to see photos...official photos...being leaked or released long before then.
In the meantime, advevo's cellcam pic, that I re-posted above, is still the most accurate portrayal of the car because it's not skewed by abnormal lens distortion which we're seeing a lot of with the blue mules running around on the 'Ring.

the other Advevo shot.

I did some checking and Scott and Eni over on GCZ are still saying press packet will be released anytime now....late May/early June
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #31
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

The shot on Page 50 of C&D is all wrong. When you see it, notice that the main body line deadends into what appears to be the middle of the tail light.

Further the line goes through the middle of the fuel door. Also the fuel door is a circle. These characteristics have not been substantiated in anyway that I have seen. But worth looking at. And I hope false.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #32
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Welcome Big, and Wiggum. Which part of Otown are u in..But yeah all of us are expecting some official pics ANY day now. ITS KILLING ME!
      06-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #33
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Welcome Big, and Wiggum. Which part of Otown are u in..But yeah all of us are expecting some official pics ANY day now. ITS KILLING ME!
I'm in Maitland...

Yeah, I'm anxiously waiting on official pictures as well, including interior. Is the basic concensus that the 135i is going to be available immediately with the "M Sport" package, or is that a "down the line" option?

Also, friend with a 335 told me to look into the BMW Performance Delivery, any feedback on that?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #34
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post
The shot on Page 50 of C&D is all wrong. When you see it, notice that the main body line deadends into what appears to be the middle of the tail light.

Further the line goes through the middle of the fuel door. Also the fuel door is a circle. These characteristics have not been substantiated in anyway that I have seen. But worth looking at. And I hope false.

Brett, there it is...rectangular flap...passenger-side. This is the real car only slightly camo-ed-real photo date/time stamped. C&D got it wrong. Stop worrying. Sheeesh! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #35
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

Can anyone look at this and see what I see?? It looks like they chopped on the ScionTC rear end... round fuel door with a pull out (BMW uses flush square doors), and the lines are definately Scion?? Boo on C&D!

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #36
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
Can anyone look at this and see what I see?? It looks like they chopped on the ScionTC rear end... round fuel door with a pull out (BMW uses flush square doors), and the lines are definately Scion?? Boo on C&D!

I see what you mean...very unconvincing. Shoulder line is ill-defined (compare it to the knife-edged crease from advevo's photo)and the body is a bit porky.
The rear where the roof meets body is an awkward interpretation...
and you might be right...it looks like a Japanese template used on the photoshop.

But I'm happy to see it.
What I don't like is their blurb that says,"styling may be a turn-off" or words to that effect. Waaaay to early to make a judgement for a car that hasn't really been seen except for BMW insiders.
And I doubt that the 1-er will take a lot of sales away from the 3-er. Someone who really wants a 3-series will find a way of getting one.
Looks like they got the price right...26k base detuned 3.0 / 35k for the 3.5tt. So, working with these numbers, how does it rob sales from the 3-er?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #37
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

"And I doubt that the 1-er will take a lot of sales away from the 3-er."

I disagree with you there. If the 1 series offers the same level of refinement and ride quality, it will definately steel sales from the 3 coupe. The sales of the 328i coupe right now are based on the "value" equation along with getting a BMW. Now that the 1 series offers that at potentially a significant discount, the sales will follow.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #38
Brookside
Major
Rep

It's apples and oranges. Big car vs. small car. And God I hope the 1-er doesn't ride like a "3".

This forum started with a bunch of Canadian and American guys all basically praising the fact that BMW will finally be bringing out a small, fast, sporty car that honors it's heritage. Many of us have bemoaned the fact that the 3 series has gotten fat, big, and expensive.
I don't doubt that BMW may lose some sales to the 1-er from 3-er but I don't think it'll be significant.
It's 2 different customers...two different types of preferences.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #39
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I hear you on the two different cars, but not by much.

The 1 series will only be about 300 lbs lighter than the 3 (according to some estimates). And the size will be similar to the 3 coupe that was available just a few years ago. So while the cars are admittedly different, the customer base is not.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #40
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

I have to agree with Brookside on this. the people who are going to want a 3 series will most likely still get one. even thought on paper the cars might not seem to be far apart in the real world they probably will be. and another thing is there will be some people who will look at the 1 series as just a baby bimmer and want nothing to do with it. and they will definitely go 3 series or something bigger.

like it was said before the two cars are catering to completely different kind of people. and the people who don't care about which one they have are probably those people who will never know this site exist or any other car forum exist. but we will always have those people:roundel:

Welcome Big, and Wiggum.
      06-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #41
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
I'm in Maitland...

Yeah, I'm anxiously waiting on official pictures as well, including interior. Is the basic concensus that the 135i is going to be available immediately with the "M Sport" package, or is that a "down the line" option?

Also, friend with a 335 told me to look into the BMW Performance Delivery, any feedback on that?
I'm familiar with Maitland. I'm out east at avalon park.

I've heard great things about BMW euro delivery. I'm not sure if thats the same things as BMW performance delivery.
      06-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #42
Brookside
Major
Rep

this from GCZ.com from a new member calling himself MunichMotorMouth:

"The E82 version that was photographed in California and Australia is merely a pre-production version and may get the crash test treatment at some point in the future. It's possible that the final version could differ just slightly from the preliminary model, particularly witj regard to the front bumper and air intake style, where minor nuances can have an important impact on the overall facial appearance. I would hope, that even at this point BMW still reserves the option of fabricating the hood, roof, and trunk of aluminum, so as to improve weight and handling dynamics. Final suspension tuning is likely still in progress, at the Nürburgring. It's a shame that the spy photographers aren't recording lap times to get hints on performance potential.

Eventually the E82 will be produced at the modern Leipzig factory, in Saxony (formerly in East Germany), which began production only two years ago and was designed for relatively flexible expansion of production capacity. (The factory doesn't have stamping presses for large sheet metal parts, so the metal shapes will come from elsewhere.) Re-tooling and robotic re-programming for E82 assembly will occur during the summer plant holiday, which will be sometime during the school vacation period, between July 23 and August 31. Therefore, it's a reasonable assumption that the E82 coupé will already be in production in early September. People taking a plant tour during the initial production phase may even be able to see the car before it gets introduced to the public at the Frankfurt auto show, later in September. I recall having seen the end assembly of the newest 3-series coupé in Regensburg last year (while being produced alongside the older version, still) before it was officially released. These early production versions had a higher chance of ending up in the re-work section because early glitches hadn't been completely worked out yet."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 03:41 AM   #43
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Brookside,

I also have fallen in love with Adevo's pics. I am glad to see that I am not alone.

BTW, did anyone notice that C&D states the coupe will be based on the E46? Pretty poor research IMO and an unusual mistake for a usually reputable mag.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #44
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
Brookside,

I also have fallen in love with Adevo's pics. I am glad to see that I am not alone.

BTW, did anyone notice that C&D states the coupe will be based on the E46? Pretty poor research IMO and an unusual mistake for a usually reputable mag.
Yes, I spotted it too.
I agree....C&D is pretty reliable. Once the press photos come out we could start a thread that basically lists known facts about the car-
maybe would save a lot of arguing about things that are known to be true and false.
Advevo's pics are money. Absolutely capture the character of the car.
Appreciate 0