BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Canadian Pricing for 1 Series

OK, so like most of you, I've been sitting at the edge of my seat for pricing. Not sure if many of you know that BMW has a worldwide press website where they announce new vehicles, pricing, etc. So I go there this evening and find a press release posted today entitled "On the Occasion of the Montreal International Auto Show".

In this release, they did release pricing. BUT ONLY FOR THE MINI. WTF??? Here it is:

Statement by Alain Laforest, BMW Group Canada, Regional Manager, Eastern Region.
01/17/2008

Statement by Alain Laforest, BMW Group Canada, Regional Manager, Eastern Region on the Occasion of the Montreal International Auto Show.
January 17, 2008

The Spoken French Word Applies

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for joining us here today.

This is the most exciting year I can remember for the BMW Group in Canada. Today we are going to unveil 4 incredible new vehicles for you; three of which are brand new vehicles never offered before in North America.

Before we tell you all about these exciting new products, let’s celebrate some of the growth in the Quebec market.

BMW and MINI sales in Montreal and Quebec were both up 14% for 2007 compared to the previous year. Considering the challenges the automotive industry faced in the second half of 2007, double digit growth is extremely impressive. Equally impressive is the fact that BMW Group Canada just celebrated our 17th consecutive year of sales growth – an achievement unparallel in the automotive industry.

Because of the success we have enjoyed in Quebec, we are expanding our facilities to serve our customers better. We have two BMW retailers renovating to expand - BMW Laval will complete renovations this summer and Suprem Automobile in Sherbrook just finished. Two new BMW retail facilities are coming – one in Blainville and one in the Montreal West Island. One new MINI retail facility just opened in Trois-Rivières and with it, BMW Trois-Rivières moved to a state of the art new facility. Last but not least, BMW Ville de Quebec is moving to a world class new facility at the end of this year.

With many new products coming down the road, we have many more growth opportunities for Quebec and Canada.

> The 1 Series Cabriolet will be available in late spring
> We are going to expand our line up of sports activity vehicles and launch an X1 and a MINI SAV.
> On the opposite end of the spectrum is a new vehicle positioned above the 7 Series based on the Concept CS that we presented at the Shanghai International Auto Show.

Speaking of the Concept CS, we have a BMW celebrity here today and he is a local Montreal success story.

Karim Habib is the budding young designer that designed the Concept CS. After being raised in Montreal and completing his engineering degree at McGill, Karim went to the renowned California Art Center College of Design where he was recruited by Chris Bangle to design for BMW in Munich.

> We recently announced another new vehicle concept, the Progressive Activity Sedan that will become a production vehicle.

> All these new vehicles and the ones we will show you today underscore the constant flow of new products that we believe will help us attract new customers and strengthen our position as the leading premium automotive company in Canada, and the world.

As I mentioned, three of the four products we will unveil today are completely new products that have never been offered before to customers. The BMW 1 Series Coupé, the BMW X6 Sports Activity Coupé and the MINI Clubman are new for BMW and the 2008 BMW M3 Coupé is the return of our benchmark setting performance car that is now in its fourth generation.

Each one of these products, like all our products, fit into our environmental strategy called EfficientDynamics.

EfficientDynamics means we will always strive to improve the driving dynamics of our vehicles while also significantly lowering fuel consumption and emission levels.

In the long term, we believe liquid hydrogen is the future for sustainable driving. We currently have 100 Hydrogen 7 Series vehicles on the road in the US, Europe and Japan demonstrating that hydrogen vehicles are feasible and essentially only emit just water vapour. In the US you might see celebrities like Jay Leno driving one.

In the medium term – 2009 to be precise - we will offer BMW hybrids. The BMW X6 Sports Activity Coupé that you will see here in a few moments will be the first BMW hybrid. Our two-mode Active Hybrid will offer increased fuel efficiency while still offering the performance that the X6 will become renowned for.

In the short term, we will bring our high performance, fuel efficient clean diesels to Canadians. We are pleased to announce for the first time this week that we will bring BMW a 335d Sedan and BMW X5 3.0sd AdvanceDiesel vehicles with BluePerformance to Canada this fall. We selected these models because we want to offer fuel efficient clean diesel performance to as many individuals as possible and these are our most popular models.

BMW’s new high performance diesel engines produce approximately 25 per cent less carbon dioxide emissions and are approximately 25 per cent more fuel efficient than their gasoline counterparts, while also delivering the Ultimate Driving Experience.

To see the benefits of our advanced EfficientDynamics engineering, you don’t have to wait until for the short, medium or long-term because in the last 20 years, BMW Group Canada has voluntarily reduced fleet average fuel consumption of passenger cars by 25%, reducing carbon dioxide emissions commensurately. We have achieved this because we incorporate EfficientDynamics into each and every vehicle we develop.

You might wonder how a BMW M3 fits into our environmental strategy?

Well, when we developed the new, fourth generation, performance-oriented M3 Coupé, EfficientDynamics did play a substantial role.

The BMW M3 Coupé that is based on the BMW 3 Series Coupé and is the first production M3 vehicle with an eight-cylinder power unit. The new V8 engine replaces the previous generation’s six-cylinder engine. Conventional wisdom would suggest that a larger engine would be heavier, but thanks to the aluminium-silicon alloy cylinder crankcase, the new V8 power unit is, in fact, 15 kilograms lighter than the previous six-cylinder version.

The M3’s new carbon-fibre roof weighs in at approximately five kilograms less than a conventional steel roof. The BMW M3 is the first production car in its segment with a carbon-fibre roof which reduces the car’s weight by 40 pounds and enhances its agility by lowering the car’s centre of gravity. These EfficientDynamics innovations allow the new M3 to deliver considerably more power with less fuel.

The brand-new V8 displaces 4.0 litres and develops a maximum output of 414 hp at 8,300 rpm, maximum torque 295 lb-ft at 3,900 rpm, maximum engine speed 8,400 rpm and offers optimum torque and thrust throughout the entire speed range. The BMW M3’s V8 engine features individual throttle butterflies, double-VANOS variable camshaft control and the engine is 15 kg/33 lb lighter than the six-cylinder of the former model. The M3 accelerates from 0–100 km/h in just 4.8 seconds.

This is highest-performing M3 ever offered by our BMW M division. The amazing part is that the V8’s horsepower output is 24% more than the six-cylinder, yet the new engine weighs 7% less and consumes 8% less fuel than its predecessor. This, again, underlines our commitment to Efficient Dynamics.

The M3 Coupé will be available in the Canadian market in the first quarter of 2008, but you will get a sneak preview of it here in just a few minutes.

In 1999, BMW created the X5 Sports Activity Vehicle and it has set the benchmark ever since. Quebec is our biggest X5 market in Canada and now we present a brand new concept and we expect Quebec to fall in love again …

The BMW X6. The world’s first Sports Activity Coupé. It is an all new model that offers a unique interpretation of a large BMW Coupé with the sportiness of a Coupé and the features of an X model. You will see that BMW X6 has a powerful presence and sleek coupé proportions. The BMW X6 comes standard with a new generation of BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel drive technology featuring Dynamic Performance Control. Dynamic Performance Control optimizes the directional stability of a vehicle instantaneously and precisely by directing torque between the rear wheels.

The new Sports Activity Coupé has two engine variants: BMW X6 xDrive50i and BMW X6 xDrive35i. The BMW X6 xDrive50i, has the top-of-the-range power unit that is a newly developed V8 gasoline engine with Twin Turbo technology and direct gasoline injection (high precision injection). The V8 is the most efficient engine in its class, with a capacity of 4,395 cc, max output of 400 hp and max torque 442 lb-ft. The BMW X6 xDrive35i is powered by a 3.0 litre straight-six gasoline engine with twin turbo and direct injection (high precision injection) with 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. The BMW X6 will be available in Canada in the second quarter of 2008.

With the new X6 Sports Activity Coupé, BMW also introduces a new model nomenclature reflecting the most distinguishing vehicle characteristics already in the vehicle name. xDrive – BMW’s unique intelligent All-Wheel-Drive-System – now becomes a core element of the naming not only for the new BMW X6, but also for upcoming All-Wheel-Drive BMW models.

As with other BMW models, the numbers behind the “xDrive” lettering, like X6 xDrive 50i represent the model’s relative power. This creates clearly differentiated power levels within each displacement class –the higher the number, the more powerful the engine.

We are pleased to announce that the MINI family has grown, and the MINI has literally grown too. The MINI Clubman is a completely unique five-door model that will be added to the MINI line-up in February 2008.

Based on a “shooting brake” concept, the Clubman features a lengthened body and roofline, two rear-opening splitdoors and a Clubdoor on the right side. The 2008 MINI Cooper Clubman debuts with an MSRP of $26,400, while the MINI Cooper S Clubman will have an MSRP of $31,500.

The 2008 MINI Cooper S Clubman shares the same 1.6 litre four-cylinder gasoline engine with twin-scroll turbocharger and direct fuel injection as the 2008 MINI Cooper S. Generating a maximum output of 172 horsepower at 5500 rpm and maximum torque of 192 lb-ft with the overboost function, the MINI Cooper S Clubman inherits all of the performance characteristics of its sibling 2008 Cooper S, which was chosen as the 2008 Sports/Performance Car of the Year by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC).

The MINI Cooper Clubman will be equipped with a four-cylinder gasoline engine with fully variable valve management based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC technology, which also debuted in the new MINI Cooper. With a capacity of 1,598 cc, the Cooper Clubman will have a maximum output of 118 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and maximum torque of 114 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm.

The MINI Cooper Clubman with a six speed manual transmission, like the MINI Cooper hatchback, qualifies for the federal government’s $1,000 ecoAUTO rebate due to its impressive fuel economy rating of 5.3 l/100km (highway).

Last but not least, we are introducing a new smaller BMW to our model range – The BMW 1 Series. The BMW 1 Series will debut in spring 2008 with the BMW 1 Series Coupé. This is a brand new series entering North America.

The first variants, the new 1 Series Coupé will enter the Premium Compact segment with strikingly sleek, dynamic and compact dimensions combined with typical BMW class-leading performance, agility, safety and comfort.

With this new smaller BMW we will attract individuals to the brand sooner and at younger ages and as our customers know – once you have been behind the wheel of a BMW and experienced what BMW performance offers – its hard to go back.

The 1 Series Coupé is available in two engine variants: BMW 128i and 135i Coupés.
The BMW 128i Coupé is powered by BMW’s latest generation 3.0-litre inline 6-cyinder Valvetronic engine generating 230 horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque. The BMW 135i Coupé is equipped with BMW’s remarkable twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine with high-precision injection, twin low-mass turbochargers and air-to-air intercooler. This remarkable engine produces 300 horsepower and an incredible 300 lb-ft of torque, providing the BMW 135i Coupé with breathtaking performance and fuel efficiency.

The 1 Series Coupé is an incredible car that we know will do very well here because we have had tremendous feedback so far.

In closing, I don’t think there is anything more I need to add to demonstrate that this is an exciting year for BMW and MINI – if you don’t believe me, these cars speak for themselves.

Ladies and Gentleman, thank you for your time and now the moment we have all been waiting for…. I am proud to present to you:

The new MINI Clubman
The new BMW 1 Series Coupé
The new BMW X6 Sports Activity Coupé
And the new BMW M3 Coupé

BMW Group Canada, based in Whitby, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BMW AG and is responsible for the distribution of BMW luxury performance automobiles, Sports Activity Vehicles, Motorcycles, and MINI. BMW Group Financial Services Canada is a division of BMW Group Canada and offers retail financing and leasing programs on new and pre-owned BMW and MINI automobiles, as well as retail financing for new and pre-owned BMW Motorcycles. A total network of 38 BMW automobile retail centres, 17 BMW motorcycle retailers, and 23 MINI retailers represents the BMW Group across the country.

- 30 -

For more information, please contact:
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
ronsil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black e46

This is encouraging for good pricing:

"With this new smaller BMW we will attract individuals to the brand sooner and at younger ages"

This is not:

The 1 Series Coupé is an incredible car that we know will do very well here because we have had tremendous feedback so far.

Great find linus!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsil View Post
This is encouraging for good pricing:

"With this new smaller BMW we will attract individuals to the brand sooner and at younger ages"

This is not:

Great find linus!
I'm with you. When I saw the 'we know will do very well here because we have had tremendous feedback so far', I thought. They know they can price because of people like ourselves getting hyped about the car. We're all to blame if the pricing stinks. BMW Canada reads the forum too.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I think its not too bad. I mean, we (as in the posters on this forum) are a relatively small sample size that isn't really indicative of the overall target market for this new product.

I say don't sweat it, we'll know soon enough what the pricing will be and I don't think there will be surprises (low or high). That second statement ("The 1 Series Coupe is an incredible car...") isn't some hidden message to BMW investors to say "we're going to make a killing on this car because we can jack the prices on a bunch of enthusiasts and we know it". Its just them saying, "its a great car thats going to do well among a new market segment".
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
In this release, they did release pricing. BUT ONLY FOR THE MINI.
stupid BMW Canada...just tell me a price
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
1_Love
Rep
Drives:

I asked the BMW rep at the Detroit Auto Show for any info on the Canadian pricing/release date... he just chuckled and say "nope"..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

...did you then kick him in the nads for all of us Canadians still waiting?:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
imported_Topdown
Rep
Drives:

Finally here (pricing)

Just received an email from my dealer with pricing for 128/135 cabs and coupes.

Here they are.

128 coupe 33900.00
128 cab 39900.00
135 coupe 41700.00
135 cab 47200.00

I will try and post the pdf files
Appreciate 0