BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Question about 128i performance as a breed

With our cars out of production and no new threads being started I have to admit I have been reading through many of the N52 threads. I have read through TheSt|G Superprint header install/review(interesting), installing a DISA manifold from a European varient, installing the euroair box, even some guy that that was trying to manufacture a $7000 supercharger for the N52(don't think it worked out too well).

I know the performance specs for the 128i match pretty closely to older BMW performance cars but so do today's Camry, Altima and Accord just to name a few.

Why didn't BMW put the same euro components in the North American cars or put the 270hp N52 variant in the US cars instead of the 230 hp? I don't see much talk about the N53 engine. With 270 hp I would think that might have made it's way to this market as well.
      02-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
With our cars out of production and no new threads being started I have to admit I have been reading through many of the N52 threads. I have read through TheSt|G Superprint header install/review(interesting), installing a DISA manifold from a European varient, installing the euroair box, even some guy that that was trying to manufacture a $7000 supercharger for the N52(don't think it worked out too well).

I know the performance specs for the 128i match pretty closely to older BMW performance cars but so do today's Camry, Altima and Accord just to name a few.

Why didn't BMW put the same euro components in the North American cars or put the 270hp N52 variant in the US cars instead of the 230 hp? I don't see much talk about the N53 engine. With 270 hp I would think that might have made it's way to this market as well.
I think it's primarily that it was easier to up-sell the 135i in this market than others, taxes incentives, power, etc. They have positioned themselves as performance vehicles. BMW wouldn't sell many 118is or ds in this market, yet they're very popular elsewhere.

As for the Camry, Altima, Accord, et al, purely 0-60 times do not a performance car make, nor do the number of standard features. They're fine vehicles, but beyond the ability to mash the gas pedal for decent 0-60 times on their up-scale models their driving dynamics suffer.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
As for the Camry, Altima, Accord, et al, purely 0-60 times do not a performance car make, nor do the number of standard features. They're fine vehicles, but beyond the ability to mash the gas pedal for decent 0-60 times on their up-scale models their driving dynamics suffer.
+1.
      03-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
I have read through TheSt|G Superprint header install/review(interesting), installing a DISA manifold from a European varient, installing the euroair box, even some guy that that was trying to manufacture a $7000 supercharger for the N52(don't think it worked out too well).
You mean Gavin the evangelist? That guy was an idiot.
TheSt|g is a productive member to our community, which is why so many are keen to back him up. As I'm sure you've read, they're nothing but informative and bullshit-free, and a nice change from the E90post N52 section. I would probably be running an Injen CAI and muffler delete today if it weren't for reading his DISA manifold thread.

Quote:
That's a fair point, honest. On paper they can be pretty similar. If it came down to it, I'm sure even you'd agree to own a 128i over an Accord Coupe V-6. RWD, chassis balance, and an inline-six will always win that comparison for me. There's also just something inherently special about an I6, and I think we can both agree to that! That being said, even the 135i will be slow in time. It should be noted that in the real world, an F22 228i could probably keep pace with an E88 135i w/ step. Apples to oranges, I know, but it's similar to the statement above.

Quote:
As mentioned above by Suprgnat, it's just pricing and placement. 270hp vs 300hp in basically the same car* is somewhat detrimental to sales. As for the N53, it's basically an N52 with direct injection, and it just can't hang with the HP numbers and C02 emissions that the N54 slings so effortlessly. Then again, Europe just loves having 10+ engine options for one model. There's really no line-up from any manufacturer here that compares to what they offer across the pond. But you know what's kind of funny? Europeans don't usually care what badge is on the back of your car- fast or slow you should be driving it respectively. With most of them debaged, it's not about showing what you've got, but instead occasionally proving what you've got.

*I'm refering to the opinions of the sheep that blindly buy these cars for the badge/status or whatever, which covers most of BMW's modern target audience.

Last edited by Dafttt; 03-01-2014 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Makes sense. I think it would have been cool to put the 270hp engine in the 128i for its last year as a tribute to both the end of the 1 series as we know it and the end of them making NA engines. 128is if you will.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
      03-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I think the argument that 270hp puts it too close to the 135i is sound. I believe another factor is the lack of apparent need for the extra power. The higher output n52s are in heavier vehicles that need the power. The 128i is a lively car with the stock 230hp. Yes, you can't reliably trounce V6 family cars running light to light but you will cream them soundly if the road has some turns. It's specs are very close to a e36 M3. BMWs are not engineered for the highest levels of straight line performance. They are balanced cars that have enough power to be fun to drive. Mike Miller (tech column for Roundel) says the 128i is the best current bimmer and I agree.
      03-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I think the argument that 270hp puts it too close to the 135i is sound. I believe another factor is the lack of apparent need for the extra power. The higher output n52s are in heavier vehicles that need the power. The 128i is a lively car with the stock 230hp. Yes, you can't reliably trounce V6 family cars running light to light but you will cream them soundly if the road has some turns. It's specs are very close to a e36 M3. BMWs are not engineered for the highest levels of straight line performance. They are balanced cars that have enough power to be fun to drive. Mike Miller (tech column for Roundel) says the 128i is the best current bimmer and I agree.
+1 here as well.