BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Where do you go for a windshield replacement?

Hey all you Addicts,

I recently picked up a rock in my windshield and shortly after saw a decent crack form. I've been putting it off, thinking that as soon as I replace it I'll have another rock hit it, but the crack is growing by the day, and just yesterday I saw a second crack form independent from the first. So I need a new windshield!!

My insurance (geico) will pay for the job, minus $50; I first thought to go to my dealer as I would trust them MORE than some 'shop' to make it like it was brand new, but their $115/hr is too steep for both Geico, and myself. Who do these guys think they are?? $115/hr?

Geico recommends "Safelite"...I've never heard of them, but a co-worker has had several windshields replaced over the last 10-20 years (he owns a number of cars) and he always recommends Ryan's All Glass. I called Ryan's, they are ordering all of the parts (everything is OEM), and I have an appointment for the install with Ryans on Monday.

My question...where do you all go for glass work? Who do you trust to do a good job? Who do you not recommend?

Unless someone can tell me to steer clear of Ryan's Glass, I'll have them do the work Monday. They guarantee their work for as long as I own the car, which will likely be another 6-8 years. My dealer only warrants their work for 2 yrs, which is another reason I didn't want them to do the work.

Any thoughts?

MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

I have heard of Safelite. Don't they maufacture OEM glass? I thought they did.

Whoever you use, try to watch them install. If the edges of the glass are touched (even once) with bare hands the epoxy will not hold 100% correct. Everyone needs to wear gloves.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

start with the yellow pages than check with your state's consumer protection office or the BBB for their history and/or complaints.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' Grigio Telesto F80-6MT

Got oem windshield from safelite and its fine.
      06-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

I got my 350z windshield replaced by Geico for free... and used Safelite. I got an OEM windshield since the car was so new at the time, and I was very happy with the results. I imagine the 135i windshield will be OEM as well, since the car is so rare, there won't be an aftermarket windshield for it yet I imagine.
      06-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

O wpu;d mot use safelite. Most Ins companies use them because they have bargaining power. I have had several instances where the tech could hardly life the glass, and actually dented or scratched my cars. I have USAA Ins and I use a local shop that is the best. No, I would not use safelite.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

*BUMP*

I appreciate all who replied...anyone else care to add?

I was hoping for a higher number of hits...maybe having a windshield replaced isn't that big a deal. I've never needed to replace one, so I'm a little nervous that 'they' screw it up, or cause damage to the rest of the car in the process.

I'll be watching them the whole time, as they are coming to my home...someone please put my mind at ease.
Appreciate 0