BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
deutschman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i black/black sport package

Trouble with a 2010 135i engine

The trouble started one morning when the GF and I were headed into SF for work. We had just gotten the car back from a brake service at the dealership and were really happy to have the car back. I started the car up and immediately . The car was running really rough like it was missing a cylinder and smelt really rich along with a Check Engine light. We drove it strait back to the dealership to get looked at, but of cores about one minute into the drive it went back to normal. We took it in anyways. They could not find anything wrong with the car and gave it back to us the next day.
The next day (Friday) the car was fine all day, but then it started to go down hill. Saturday it had the same symptoms again, but this time lasted longer before disappearing again. I quickly took a video to show out service manager.

Sadly the service department is closed Saturday through Sunday in San Rafael. As my GF was on her way home from work Sunday, the symptoms came back, and this time they did not go away at all. Early Monday morning we took the car back in again. I just got a call back from our service manager. He says the engine needed a valve cover gasket which could be part of the problem if it was causing a vacuum leak I guess. He also said the car 'might' need a new set of injectors (the car supposedly already had the recall injectors replaced a few months ago). It seams to me the are just guessing here, and dont know exactly what is happening.
What do you guys think? Anyone ells had this problem?
      07-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
deutschman
Enlisted Member
Rep

So they replaced our valve cover gasket. The 'service engine soon' light went off for a few days then came back on.
We took the car back in again an it turns out the cat was completely burned out. The techs think its because we seakrtly tuned the car, but we haven't changed anything on this car besides the wheels tires and lights.
      07-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
deutschman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well my GF just brought our 135i in for what is now the third time for the same problem. The "service engine soon" light comes on and stays on longer and longer every day till its on all the time along with rough running conditions and rich exhaust fumes. Lets see what the brand new cat looks like now. This car is only two years old, has been auto crossed ones, and for the most part only sees highway driving. It has no tunes, or engine modifications of any kind what so ever. Really no abuse.
After the second trip to the dealer the car also came back with bad suspension noises when turning lock to lock in ether direction. A kind of dull twanging sound like when you pick a guitar string at the very very top of the fret board.
Our service adviser is going to take the car home and drive it for a day or two and experience the conditions for him self.
Lets see what they find this time.
Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Lets see if they can track the real problem down this time.
      07-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
deutschman
Enlisted Member
Rep

I wish I could get the codes, but I am in WA right now and the car and code reader are in CA.