BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #23
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Does anyone else wish the auto industry would standardize the way paddle shifters work?
Yes and no. This debate will probaly rage on for some time yet. I can see the merits of the different systems and to be honest I am actually used to the BMW set up and it does not bother me.

Some will prefer wheel mounted, other column mounted shifters, dedicated up down, dual function etc etc.

As like myself, others will get used to their system and perhaps even prefer it so unfortunately I dont see one size fitting all as to speak.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:20 AM   #24
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Why do you say that? The new donk seems to have the same power/torque specs as the N54 but max torque comes in at even lower RPM than our N54.
Performance potential rather - tuners already know how to get a lot out of this engine, the software is written, R&D done, the parts are available etc

Plus there are rumours that BMW are making the N55 harder again to crack so people will stop chipping them - no doubt the tuners will find a way around it.

And personal preference... I've always felt twin turbos gives a nicer power delivery than a single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #25
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
Performance potential rather - tuners already know how to get a lot out of this engine, the software is written, R&D done, the parts are available etc

Plus there are rumours that BMW are making the N55 harder again to crack so people will stop chipping them - no doubt the tuners will find a way around it.

And personal preference... I've always felt twin turbos gives a nicer power delivery than a single turbo.
Some fair reasons there. Surely two turbos are better than one
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #26
Lukkyphil
Paddleslapper
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5 aka The Tractor

Well drove the Z4 (N54) with the DCT this morning, 24 degrees, beautiful day for a convertible. Definately worth the extra dosh for the DCT, used to the DSG in my Missus Golf GTi, and the BMW execution feels smoother.

Have changed my spec to DCT & the Harmon Kardon, will still hopefully get as a March build, but not confirmed yet.
Appreciate 0