BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #23
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Now them fighting words Andrew..
yes, because as you know, you can spend less than $1500 and have way more power than this proposed new car will have. i constantly see power figures quoted as the main reason to buy one.....

On this thread it seems that the debate has now turned to M3 V's 1 series, i can't understand why. The M3 is superior in all aspects, that is how it is designed, and it delivers. I love my 135i though, its bloody frighteningly fast, looks like Mad Max and when i look at it, it makes me feel good, great car. Some day it will go to make way for an M3 DCT which i'll supercharge.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #24
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
yes, because as you know, you can spend less than $1500 and have way more power than this proposed new car will have. i constantly see power figures quoted as the main reason to buy one.....

On this thread it seems that the debate has now turned to M3 V's 1 series, i can't understand why. The M3 is superior in all aspects, that is how it is designed, and it delivers. I love my 135i though, its bloody frighteningly fast, looks like Mad Max and when i look at it, it makes me feel good, great car. Some day it will go to make way for an M3 DCT which i'll supercharge.
You wont get an argument from me Andrew....Agree totally except for the supercharger..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #25
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

I had a 135 and I own a 3 series touring and an M3 sedan. There is very little difference in the quality of any of the cars. In fact I think the centre console on the 1 series is more durable than the 3 series. But when I drive them the M3 feels like the smallest most nimble car. The 135 is a great car but the M3 is much better...but not twice as good. The 135 is great value. I didn't believe how good the M3 was until I drove it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #26
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Great as a M3 is, it just doesn't have enough torque around the city. Out on the open road or track it is unbeatable though (as a 4/5 seater I meant). But driving in town I prefer a 135i anytime. Or X5M.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #27
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Fact is, most people who own an M3 will think of anything to justify spending more money than a 1. Just like an M5 or an M6 owner would. If the M department do a real M job, then it 'should' own the M3 as it is lighter and smaller.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #28
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Fact is, most people who own an M3 will think of anything to justify spending more money than a 1. Just like an M5 or an M6 owner would. If the M department do a real M job, then it 'should' own the M3 as it is lighter and smaller.
+ 1000
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #29
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

If the price of M1 and M3 is close (within a $20K radar). I will go for M3 for the sake of space. Then again, depend what size of car you wanna get and I will be happy with any car (as long as they are cheap in the $ column of the sales contract ).

Love my 135 very much but also love to try own other cars. Can't do that with my wife for that matter... so that is the only way I can be some sort of a swinger. lol.
      01-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #30
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

ha ha luv it i wanna be a car slut too, just watch out for those loose talking m cars promising so much, they can hurt your ass
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #31
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

i know what im getting next alrdy... GTR! (unless the M1 comes with more power.. LOL)
      01-22-2010, 01:00 AM   #32
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Hmmmm have to disagree with those comments BBK, sorry. Maybe the rich and famous go shopping to spend 180+k, but some financially less able go out on a limb to do so cause they aspire to owning (well the bank does actually) and driving one and have done so for many years (15 or more in my case). When I bought mine there was RS4s, used Porkers and god knows what in the same $ range but that was irrelevant to me. I would not consider any other M car aside from the M3, don't care if they are faster etc etc.

Most of the guys on this post, aside from Zuzu at least, want to compare the M1 (or whatever it will be) to the M3, and suggest the M1 is going to be a better proposition than an M3 for whatever reason. I say great, then buy one cause I won't cause I LOVE my M3. The only thing that will tempt my taste buds in the BM range is if they come out with a limited run of cars and stick the M3 GTS engine into the E92, I'll line up to buy that one.

Life is full of choices, thank god, so get what turns you on, I did. ///M3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #33
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post

I can be some sort of a swinger. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Life is full of choices, thank god, so get what turns you on, I did.
This thread is getting interesting
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 03:51 AM   #34
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Hmmmm have to disagree with those comments BBK, sorry. Maybe the rich and famous go shopping to spend 180+k, but some financially less able go out on a limb to do so cause they aspire to owning (well the bank does actually) and driving one and have done so for many years (15 or more in my case). When I bought mine there was RS4s, used Porkers and god knows what in the same $ range but that was irrelevant to me. I would not consider any other M car aside from the M3, don't care if they are faster etc etc.

Most of the guys on this post, aside from Zuzu at least, want to compare the M1 (or whatever it will be) to the M3, and suggest the M1 is going to be a better proposition than an M3 for whatever reason. I say great, then buy one cause I won't cause I LOVE my M3. The only thing that will tempt my taste buds in the BM range is if they come out with a limited run of cars and stick the M3 GTS engine into the E92, I'll line up to buy that one.

Life is full of choices, thank god, so get what turns you on, I did. ///M3

Well said, and I understand that point of view. But majority of people are not BMW die hard M3 lovers. They will shop around and look at the competition inside BMW and out. You only consider the M3 because in the past and currently, that really is the only performance orientated BMW available.

Why exactly did you only want an M3? Performance? Looks? I am not sure why you would still want an M3 so badly if the M1 beats it unless you wanted it for the looks. You have wanted an M3 so badly for however long right? So you would have been around for the earlier models. The M1 would more represent those earlier models than the e92. Why again do you want the M3 so much again? Ahhh... because either you solely like the looks better, or because you want to have the more expensive, more prestigious car.

Which leads me back to my point. Most people who can afford it would buy the M3 over the M1 because they are more prestigious. Do you think people who buy Audi R8's consider the TT-RS? nope... even though their performance aren't really that far apart. He who can afford the best, usually has the best. I bet you, 95% of the M6 owners out there think their car is better than the M3 (for whatever reason).

Which I guess brings me to another point, some may argue that they buy a car for their intended purpose. M6 for the GT cruising crowd (and lots of money). M5 for the family guy who wants a fast saloon car with a fair bit of cash lying round. M3 for the guy who doesn't need 4 seats and wants a sports car that can double as a GT. And then there is the M1 which would be for those who want something smallish, fun, quick and european. So why did you want your M3 for?

If the M1 was built properly (which it won't) it would be faster and more fun than all the other M cars. Why do you think BMW don't make it like it should be made? Because they don't want to make it better than the M3, so that people with M3's (ie- you) don't feel ripped. So that they can make more money because they can sell more cars to more people with differing budgets. If you were a BMW fanatic and wanted the fastest BMW available you would buy an M1. And that means not as many M3s sold. So they had to make the M1 slower... Which is a massive shame...

The majority of people who can afford an M3 or who own an M3 will justify why they paid $180k for it. I know I would... If I had one, and BMW made a car that was faster, I would either sell it to get the faster one, or justify why I bought the M3 in the first place. If it was more expensive than an M3, all the M3 owners would want it. If it was cheaper, all the M3 owners would either buy one, or justify their M3. It's actually quite simple... Just like 320i sedan owners think they are better than 135i owners because they think our car is 'below' them in the ranks.

I do apologise for the massive rant... and I don't want to single out M3 owners. But it just gets to me when people with cars that are better than someone elses come to their playground and boast about their car and how it's better. How do you feel when a Ferrari 599 pulls up next to you? You either want it, or make up reasons as to why yours is better... I do it all the time
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:55 AM   #35
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Well said, and I understand that point of view. But majority of people are not BMW die hard M3 lovers. They will shop around and look at the competition inside BMW and out. You only consider the M3 because in the past and currently, that really is the only performance orientated BMW available.

Why exactly did you only want an M3? Performance? Looks? I am not sure why you would still want an M3 so badly if the M1 beats it unless you wanted it for the looks. You have wanted an M3 so badly for however long right? So you would have been around for the earlier models. The M1 would more represent those earlier models than the e92. Why again do you want the M3 so much again? Ahhh... because either you solely like the looks better, or because you want to have the more expensive, more prestigious car.

Which leads me back to my point. Most people who can afford it would buy the M3 over the M1 because they are more prestigious. Do you think people who buy Audi R8's consider the TT-RS? nope... even though their performance aren't really that far apart. He who can afford the best, usually has the best. I bet you, 95% of the M6 owners out there think their car is better than the M3 (for whatever reason).

Which I guess brings me to another point, some may argue that they buy a car for their intended purpose. M6 for the GT cruising crowd (and lots of money). M5 for the family guy who wants a fast saloon car with a fair bit of cash lying round. M3 for the guy who doesn't need 4 seats and wants a sports car that can double as a GT. And then there is the M1 which would be for those who want something smallish, fun, quick and european. So why did you want your M3 for?

If the M1 was built properly (which it won't) it would be faster and more fun than all the other M cars. Why do you think BMW don't make it like it should be made? Because they don't want to make it better than the M3, so that people with M3's (ie- you) don't feel ripped. So that they can make more money because they can sell more cars to more people with differing budgets. If you were a BMW fanatic and wanted the fastest BMW available you would buy an M1. And that means not as many M3s sold. So they had to make the M1 slower... Which is a massive shame...

The majority of people who can afford an M3 or who own an M3 will justify why they paid $180k for it. I know I would... If I had one, and BMW made a car that was faster, I would either sell it to get the faster one, or justify why I bought the M3 in the first place. If it was more expensive than an M3, all the M3 owners would want it. If it was cheaper, all the M3 owners would either buy one, or justify their M3. It's actually quite simple... Just like 320i sedan owners think they are better than 135i owners because they think our car is 'below' them in the ranks.

I do apologise for the massive rant... and I don't want to single out M3 owners. But it just gets to me when people with cars that are better than someone elses come to their playground and boast about their car and how it's better. How do you feel when a Ferrari 599 pulls up next to you? You either want it, or make up reasons as to why yours is better... I do it all the time
Agree... BUT only about you ranting on...

Each to their own mate... Nothing in life is expensive if you can afford it..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #36
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Before this thread gets out of hand, I think BBK has a point. And, it actually applies to not just M3 or 135i or MX5 or X5M. .

Everyone will buy what they want at the end using their own justification, and I agree "many" M3 owners would justify their decision, as would any 135i, 320d, 530i, 530dGT, X5M, C63, RS4, owners etc.

For example, I could not wrap my mind around the idea of ever getting a X5M. While Way can in every way (no punt intended). While a supercharged Rangie Sport in the other hand that he suggested .

When I picked the 135i, I also looked at 335i, used M3, and a used Cayman S. I think you can search out the threads on why I made that decision, but many others would think I am silly. Eg, why do I spend that much on a 1 series while I can get a 320i for 1/3 less? Why I wouldn't spend a little extra to get the 335i being a more practical car? Why I don't get a E46 M3 for the same or less so that I could have a M? Why don't I get the Porsche especially that was cheaper than the 135i? Why don't I just buy the M3 as that was my dream car and I could now afford it? Why did I pick the manual if the auto is quicker?

These are all personal choice, and I don't think anyone need to attack anyone else as they are all personal choice and BBK made a generalised comment that was taken personally by Alpine.

The M3 is a better car than the 1 in many respects, but it cannot give me the thrill like the 135i on an everyday road. If I had time to go on track once every couple of months, I would have picked the M3. Why don't you pick a sedan instead of coupe? Cheaper, more practical, and still go as fast with updated bits over the coupe - it is a personal choice.

So, everyone just chill out . Let's get back to the M1 discussions as I would have bought the M1 @ 130k+onroad if it was out when I bought the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #37
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
i know what im getting next alrdy... GTR! (unless the M1 comes with more power.. LOL)
I know what I am getting next too - Discovery 4....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #38
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Agree... BUT only about you ranting on...

Each to their own mate... Nothing in life is expensive if you can afford it..
Each to their own indeed

Thanks Sparoz, we all justify our purchases and to deny it is...

There has been a few times I have noticed M3 owners sprouting how good their car is... and I understand if they love it so much, because I would think the same thing if I had one. But I don't go on to a Pulsar forum and brag about how good my car is...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #39
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

That is a long rant indeed. Can I just say something though. TT-RS and R8 has a massive difference in performance. Not in a straight line, but in everything else! I have driven both extensively...oh, and when a 599 pulls up next to me, I have never thought once that I would like to own one. I have driven them many times now, and whilst it drive like a super super car, I just think a car that goes like this should look like the part too. 599 is tall, practical, easy to drive...all that LP640 isn't. I will take a 458 though!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #40
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Everyone will buy what they want at the end using their own justification, and I agree "many" M3 owners would justify their decision, as would any 135i, 320d, 530i, 530dGT, X5M, C63, RS4, owners etc.

For example, I could not wrap my mind around the idea of ever getting a X5M. While Way can in every way (no punt intended). While a supercharged Rangie Sport in the other hand that he suggested .
Can I just say that anyone who owns a 135i, X5M and C63 must have exquisite taste in cars.

As for the Rangie, I would buy one too if I ever even go on gravel.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #41
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
That is a long rant indeed. Can I just say something though. TT-RS and R8 has a massive difference in performance. Not in a straight line, but in everything else! I have driven both extensively...oh, and when a 599 pulls up next to me, I have never thought once that I would like to own one. I have driven them many times now, and whilst it drive like a super super car, I just think a car that goes like this should look like the part too. 599 is tall, practical, easy to drive...all that LP640 isn't. I will take a 458 though!
I will take a M12C instead lol. LP640 is a gorgeous car though, the plastic down the road drives the normal version (I think).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #42
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Can I just say that anyone who owns a 135i, X5M and C63 must have exquisite taste in cars.

As for the Rangie, I would buy one too if I ever even go on gravel.

What about Ducati's Way? They're pretty cool too !
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #43
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Got to disagree with you regarding the 599. It's one of the best looking cars around.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #44
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
People who have a passion for cars, watches, audio gear etc are the sort of people who generally do their own research and the make a very personal decision based on their own priorities. It is as much an emotional choice as a logical one and as such it is right for them and only somebody with the same personal priorities will agree 100% with that choice.

The people who seem to generate the most verbiage about other peoples personal choices are usually those who are most insecure about their own choices and constantly feel the need to justify and validate their choices.

Relax we don't always think less of you or your choices, just sometimes.

Just kidding in the last part anyway