BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #23
mb1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 M3

Its not that stupid of an argument. I'm not saying this to offend anyone. The difference is the heart of the car, the engine. This car, for all its goodness, has the same engine as I had in my 335.

I would challenge anyone to go from a 328 to an e92 M3 and then go from a 135 to a 1M and see if there is a bigger difference or not. I haven't either obviously but I've driven all but the 1M. Going from a 335 to an e92 M3 at Oktoberfest was a BIG difference. Suspension was part of that but you couldn't argue that a major contributor was the engine (both in sound and power delivery).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
How's an M3 not a hotted up 328? Take a 328...add M3 suspension and rims...mix in an engine swap and add a body kit.

We all love the M3 but at the end of the day it's just a beefed up 328

That argument can be made about any M car. And it's a stupid argument
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
NaNo_F1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 328i

Quote:
How's an M3 not a hotted up 328? Take a 328...add M3 suspension and rims...mix in an engine swap and add a body kit.

You sir win
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

As devil's advocate I'd argue it is. Similarly Porsche is a souped up Beetle.
      04-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #26
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

For $7k more, 1M Coupe financially a fantastic deal. I care less about the discussion on if it is a real "M" car or not, nor the warranty. It will cost you more to get a 135i beefed up to 1M Coupe standards.

That being said, I think 1M is going to hurt the sales of 135i more than M3. This is due to the awesome price point, and BMW is trying to stop or slow this by selling 1M as "limited" notion.

Of course this is just me.
      04-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #27
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1 View Post
Its not that stupid of an argument. I'm not saying this to offend anyone. The difference is the heart of the car, the engine. This car, for all its goodness, has the same engine as I had in my 335.

I would challenge anyone to go from a 328 to an e92 M3 and then go from a 135 to a 1M and see if there is a bigger difference or not. I haven't either obviously but I've driven all but the 1M. Going from a 335 to an e92 M3 at Oktoberfest was a BIG difference. Suspension was part of that but you couldn't argue that a major contributor was the engine (both in sound and power delivery).
Thats just punishing 1M because the 135 started with a high output engine.

Obviously going from a 328 to an M3 is huge, the thing has a V8. Going from the 328 to the 135 would be huge too. 135 to M3 not so huge, so 135 to 1M wouldnt be that huge either.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #28
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

All those people claiming that the 1M is 'not an M car' are sure sounding like pedantic whiners to me. It's certainly more than just an 'M edition' 1 series: when you change the suspension to the point of altering the track and having to modify the body-work (or changing the steering ratio) IMHO you cross the threshold from 'standard car with a few M parts thrown in' into a 'proper M car'.

And as for this whole "it's not naturally aspirated therefore it's not a real M car" argument, it's pretty pathetic as well. Forced induction (and direct injection) are UNAVOIDABLE in the world we live in: gas prices and pollution regulations are now a fact of life that mean that engines have to be more efficient, especially high-output engines. Only bespoke 'supercars' are going to be able to afford the luxury of N/A high power engines in the future.

The 1M is not going to be the last 'proper' M car with a turbo! And it's not even the first one either: one of the first street cars created by the then young "Motorsport" division of BMW was the 2002 turbo after all...

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=2
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #29
mb1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 M3

Tell that to Porsche, both the 2012 Cayman and the 911 will be lighterweight (than previous versions) with NA power. I guess a 911 is a supercar, which is fine. Its not unavoidable, but I do get that the pressure is on and its a lot easier to make big power with good economy with turbos. In the end, its not my type of motor. I can see the appeal though. I don't think the argument is pathetic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
All those people claiming that the 1M is 'not an M car' are sure sounding like pedantic whiners to me. It's certainly more than just an 'M edition' 1 series: when you change the suspension to the point of altering the track and having to modify the body-work (or changing the steering ratio) IMHO you cross the threshold from 'standard car with a few M parts thrown in' into a 'proper M car'.

And as for this whole "it's not naturally aspirated therefore it's not a real M car" argument, it's pretty pathetic as well. Forced induction (and direct injection) are UNAVOIDABLE in the world we live in: gas prices and pollution regulations are now a fact of life that mean that engines have to be more efficient, especially high-output engines. Only bespoke 'supercars' are going to be able to afford the luxury of N/A high power engines in the future.

The 1M is not going to be the last 'proper' M car with a turbo! And it's not even the first one either: one of the first street cars created by the then young "Motorsport" division of BMW was the 2002 turbo after all...

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=2
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #30
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1 View Post
Tell that to Porsche, both the 2012 Cayman and the 911 will be lighterweight (than previous versions) with NA power. I guess a 911 is a supercar, which is fine. Its not unavoidable, but I do get that the pressure is on and its a lot easier to make big power with good economy with turbos. In the end, its not my type of motor. I can see the appeal though. I don't think the argument is pathetic though.
porsche charges quite a premium for its cars - maybe that is the reason you drive a BMW and not a Porsche?

Even the cayman costs 52,000 MSRP. And porsche is notorious for charging an arm and a leg for options. So they can sell NA engines because they sell for greater premiums and lower volume.

BMW has broader appeal so they must "conform" to gas prices and the fact that consumers now think partly in MPGs - even M buyers.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #31
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

This is why I love Internet fourms. People are a bunch of opinionated idiots. The BMW M division built the car thus it is a true M car. I will take BMW's word and not the word of anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #32
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
This is why I love Internet fourms. People are a bunch of opinionated idiots. The BMW M division built the car thus it is a true M car. I will take BMW's word and not the word of anyone else.
This is why I hate forums, people who honestly think they can brainwash people with bullshit

edit: I am compelled to justify my statement so I don't look just as opinionated as is acused.

A number of people on this forum believe the 1M is faux because it does not have an M-specific, from the ground up, from scratch, homemade engine. There is no doctrine that says an M car may not borrow an engine from a non-M, this is all crafted in the minds of people, and is based in no fact.

The second reason a non-M engine is claimed to be a no-no in an M is because the engine is not M worthy. But this is invalidated by the fact that the engine is stellar as it is.

BMW M car does not stand for completely redesigned in any one aspect, it is a total package of car tuning that makes a performance car that performs.

And the 1M does so - reviews are raving, and the car has ousted the M3 on at least one venue.

BMW M is something different to all people - to me it is most performance per $ than any other vehicle while remaining practical for daily use. And by that metric, the BMW 1M, at this point, appears to be the most M-pure car yet.

Last edited by pyrat; 04-28-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #33
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
Quote:
This is why I hate forums, people who honestly think they can brainwash people with bullshit
You have to admit it's kind of amusing. I totally get being passionate about things/cars however while maybe not the most traditional M car it is indeed one truly bad ass M car. Any way you slice it this thing looks wild and has the performance to match. All reviews have been beyond positive and I am looking forward to owning one. Personally unless you have driven one, your opinion means nothing to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #34
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

honestly, what did you want them to put in the thing instead? there is no way the car could be the package that it is at that price point and limited production with anything else really, plus the tuned N54 is a fantastic engine. the car has an amazing powerband and good potential to make even more hp. plus the aftermarket will be cheaper since it's not a brand new thing to R and D.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #35
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
Quote:

edit: I am compelled to justify my statement so I don't look just as opinionated as is acused.

A number of people on this forum believe the 1M is faux because it does not have an M-specific, from the ground up, from scratch, homemade engine. There is no doctrine that says an M car may not borrow an engine from a non-M, this is all crafted in the minds of people, and is based in no fact.

The second reason a non-M engine is claimed to be a no-no in an M is because the engine is not M worthy. But this is invalidated by the fact that the engine is stellar as it is.

BMW M car does not stand for completely redesigned in any one aspect, it is a total package of car tuning that makes a performance car that performs.

And the 1M does so - reviews are raving, and the car has ousted the M3 on at least one venue.

BMW M is something different to all people - to me it is most performance per $ than any other vehicle while remaining practical for daily use. And by that metric, the BMW 1M, at this point, appears to be the most M-pure car yet.
Thank you, Exactly my thoughts. All of this is very black and white. For the people that can't see that this Is one legit car then you need to take your heads out of your asses. This car is all win.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #36
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Space Gray

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Perfectly stated.
      04-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #37
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Gotta pick up this issue
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #38
hajohehe
Private
Rep
Drives:

BMW turbo charge engines are fantastic..... its about hp/torque graph not peak power....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #39
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajohehe View Post
BMW turbo charge engines are fantastic....
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajohehe View Post
its about hp/torque graph not peak power....
We're all entitled to our opinion - so here's mine!

If you're after ultimate performance (e.g. on the track) then Peak Power is most important because you want to stay in the top end of the rev range. If you want blindingly fast in-gear acceleration from low revs (e.g. as a daily driver) then the torque v rpm curve is king.

I figure you either want a 1M as a daily driver where the Turbo gives exceptional driving flexibility or you want to regularly track it in which case you'll almost certainly tune the engine to give more peak power.

Either way, I think the Turbo wins over the NA: More low down torque and easier to tune!

Of course the V8 in the M3 has more peak power out-of-the-box, rev's higher and makes a wonderful sound. It also keeps the traditionalist purists happy by being a bespoke M engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #40
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Found out that a 135i turns lock to lock at 2.9, so a .7 difference not bad at all. Its these sort of comparisons that sort out the differences. Now I just need to find the turning radius between the two.

I too once believed that the 1M was a tuned up 135i, but its hard to believe that now. And as a previous poster put it, this all comes with a warranty. Try building your 135i like the 1M and see if the dealer will cover your back for when things go wrong. I personally will do this anyway because I've invested too much money to sell my car and start over and I like modding, but let's be real. Most of us if we could would have went for the 1M had it been available around time of purchase, I know I would have.
      04-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #41
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novator View Post
Now I just need to find the turning radius between the two.
http://www.bmw.co.nz/com/en/newvehic.../compare.html#

1M = 11.5m
135i = 10.7m
M3 = 11.7
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:21 AM   #42
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
but let's be real. Most of us if we could would have went for the 1M had it been available around time of purchase, I know I would have.
exactly, same for me. Would have taken the 1M within a heartbeat. But still temped...
I will have a testdrive soon, my dealer just received one.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #43
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Quote:
+1000

Everyone thinks he's an expert nowdays.
      04-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #44
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Found out that a 135i turns lock to lock at 2.9, so a .7 difference not bad at all. Its these sort of comparisons that sort out the differences. Now I just need to find the turning radius between the two.

I too once believed that the 1M was a tuned up 135i, but its hard to believe that now. And as a previous poster put it, this all comes with a warranty. Try building your 135i like the 1M and see if the dealer will cover your back for when things go wrong. I personally will do this anyway because I've invested too much money to sell my car and start over and I like modding, but let's be real. Most of us if we could would have went for the 1M had it been available around time of purchase, I know I would have.
interesting, thanks for looking into this - I too am a data fiend.

Appreciate 0