BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
rocketship
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d coupe

Smile Buying and using 123d coupe

Before I received my 123d coupe I had spent hours on the Internet looking at Series 1/123d reviews by magazines, and at owner’s comments all around the world. It seems universally accepted that the 123d motor is quite brilliant in that it performs very strongly, and is economical by using less than 6 litre / hundred K.
But I had serious questions in my mind about the ride, and the handling. Should I get the sports suspension? 18’’ or 17” wheels? SE model or Sports Pak? I am a brisk and enthusiastic driver, have done some track work, own an MX5, love small performance cars. I’ve had a few, including BMW2002 in the 70’s. Here are some thoughts that may help an intending purchaser, including comments I did not find anywhere on the net.
Firstly the handling and ride. I test drove a number of Series one cars, some more than once. Also other BMW models Series 3 and Series 1 hatchback.
The 125i coupe auto with sports pak and 18” wheels and Bridgestone tyres showed me that at least in the Australian version, the car was firm but not too hard over bumps. It steered and turned beautifully, and I was sold. I loved the 3 litre non-turbo motor, lovely power delivery thru the Steptronic right to the 7000+ rpm limit, fast and imperceptible gear changes, paddle changes when needed, I was in love. Also pleasantly quiet, background exhaust note a tune to sing in heaven.
I tried the 135i manual with sports pak suspension and 18” wheels, Bridgestone tyres. The 1351 has a different steering set up than the 125i. And the suspension did seem harder, even a little crashy through close-spaced undulating bitumen bumps, but still livable. The power through the manual box was almost too much – simply awesome but perhaps unnecessary, really good if you like spinning your wheels, and gear changes were a little baulky, even notchy going in to and back to second and third, which are gears used a lot. You also have to use the gears if you want to maximize performance, as you tend to do, as in this car I can guarantee your personality will change from nice Mr. Jekyll to nasty Mr. Hyde. You will go out looking for a fight. You will mostly win. You will get in trouble. You will love it for its huge power. Maybe not so much for brutality available for every day driving, but I suppose it could be driven quietly, but what’s the point! To my mind this is a great track car, or snarly boy racer machine, especially if intention is to modify or compete.
As I was also assessing the SE model with 17” wheels and Goodyear NTC5 tyres against the more expensive sports paks, I drove a 120i convertible auto. This was a bit of a downer experience compared with the others. The convertible was not as composed or clean thru corners, tending to over-run, and the steering was a little vague. Performance was adequate, and it was an acceptably nice car, but not for me, especially with the little petrol engine. The ride was fine, weirdly the steering was not very sharp – more like a touring proposition with the top down around the beaches, perfect for that!
The 123d coupe Steptronic I test drove had sports suspension and 18” tyres. First and almost last impression is of being over-whelmed by the totally stoned motor – always ready to smash your head against the headrests, especially if you put the stick in Sports mode. This is so enthusiastic a setting for street driving that I had to revert to Drive before I killed someone, more than likely me. The special version lightweight 6 speed Steptronic system is especially calibrated for the huge 400nm torque of the diesel, it’s always dressed and ready for the party. The ride was fine, electronic steering accurate, did not really test the handling, but seemed the same as 125i which was more than good. I felt that the power response was superior on the 123d compared to the 125i, and the fuel economy is a no-brainer. In Oz diesel fuel is usually significantly cheaper than premium petrol, and km per litre nearly double! Both cars are winners, buy one for yourself and one for the missus!
So I ordered a Crimson Red 123d coupe Steptronic with lemon/black leather trim and heated seats. I had a budget constraint, could not justify the extra for metallic paint or sports Mpak. Did not want the boy racer body kit, do not need the google-eyed look of the Xenon lights, I can assure you the halogen lights are fine for fast night driving.
I researched getting 18” wheels, extra cost $1500+, but decided not to. There is a thread of 18” wheelers wanting to go down to 17” that is too long to quote here, http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275727
but main arguments were to do with steering feel, weight of wheels (the 18”s are lower profile, but wider/heavier too), economy, agility, tram-lining, rim damage and ride quality. Main comments were that 18” wheels were for show, 17” for GO on the Series 1 coupes. Some coupes were bagged in Europe for hard riding, but they never mentioned the tyre brand, or inflation pressures. But either the suspension is tuned for Australia, or the third generation run-flats are improved (see this item http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279333 for explanation of why Gen3 run-flats are far superior) as I did not find ride quality an issue.
So I had extremely high expectations, but I was still nervous of getting a poor ride, or not handling to the limits I want. Now I have my car I can tell you it has exceeded my expectations. I hoped that BMW had listened to comments in Europe and tweaked suspensions if needed, but the basic SE vehicle with 17” tyres and Goodyear NCT5’s are absolutely fine to date. Running 40psi rear, 38psi front.
There are some corners near me that my MX5 knows really well – the 123d now knows them even better – tidier, better steering corrections, non-squeal, just bleedin lovely high speed cornering, and little body roll. The seats are so good and supportive that my lady is a lot more comfortable with enthusiastic cornering, less “slow down” commands coming from the control tower is good too! The drivers seating options and support/comfort are second to none. And award BMW the double, because the ride is excellent, and quiet. I am unexpectedly delighted at how bumps are absorbed, have not hit the bump stops yet, (may have to try harder), plus very little road noise. Vision is very good, and the rv mirrors are excellent at eliminating blind spots, so you always know where other traffic is.
Of course it is the on-tap power and delivery that makes it so very rewarding. I find that I slip the tranny into Sports before I come to a fast corner, this usually results in going back a gear faster than I could change a manual, then easing in fast and powering out. Just watch the power outs, great party trick but there is so much mumbo available, and the throttle settings are more aggressive in Sports, that you could easily find yourself going backwards like the 2002 of old. I am finding I rarely use the paddles, as a lower gear is selected so quickly just by accelerator pedal pressure. I do find Drive quite relaxing for daily use, knowing that grunt is there if I want it – and I get that crazy economy. But for twisty mountains or spirited driving Sports mode is just phenomenal, you can have your hands full with just the steering wheel, wheel placement, line through the corner and throttle control without having to also grab for manual gears/get clutch right etc. It can all get very busy very quickly in the 123d cockpit! BMW have achieved wonderful programs for their Steptronic systems, on the 123d it is magic. Sometimes I have no idea what exact gear it is in, except it is ideal for the task in hand. Sometimes I use the Sports setting as a manual, especially if very twisty hairpin bends are involved. BTW I love manual gearboxes on sporting cars, but this marriage of torque and tranny in the 123d is something else!
I mentioned this car and motor is very quiet – until you drop the gumboot! The subdued exhaust note suddenly gets urgent, going from a pussy-cat purring to a deep tiger growl! Different from the petrol engines, it’s about the torque not the revs, but your ears get attuned to the growl, I like it! Not dissimilar from a Subaru RS Turbo I once had, that Boxer motor growl grows on you.
The negatives are mainly design/functional limitations common to small 2 door cars. Entry /exit is not elegant, especially if you have your seat setting low down. The big doors often cannot be completely opened in tight car parks, contortionists please apply. If you get light coloured seats, the seat-forward release is going to get dirty quickly. Entry and particularly exit to the rear is very clumsy, don’t put granny in the back seat, you’ll never get her out again! But good news is there is room for a six-footer to sit behind another six-footer with knees straight. This is because the rear seat backs are located quite deep. I am over six foot and don’t need the driver’s seat right back. I can sit behind my normal driving position ok – but I never have liked sitting in the back of any 2 door car, too claustrophobic for me! Putting stuff in and out of the back seat is PITA too, get used to using the boot, especially as it is a good size and has some restraining straps for shopping.
I bought the 123d as I do a fair amount of long distance driving, Brisbane to Melbourne at least once a year. It is a comfortable quiet sporting grand tourer that will have you looking for the twisty ways home. Pussy cat or tiger, what mood am I in right now?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Qbone
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

wonderful car! sometimes wish i had a 135i though, with all your tuning options
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 640d Gran Coupe

Great write up rocketship! I have an order in for a 125i myself at present but almost daily ponder over whether it could or should be a 123d instead. Although I don't drive enthusiastically I'd still say I'm an enthusiast and still end up back at a 125i. I wouldn't consider a 135i as I'm not a fan of turbos which would of course pose a problem with considering a twin turbo diesel 123d for a start. Like you I also read alot of reviews on the 123d less so on the 125i as it seems to be the least popular especially in diesel loving Europe...I'm the pedantic type that would have me going nuts with the diesel clatter and slight vibration reviews tell of at idle. I also couldn't ever see myself having the stop start system turned on and feeling the engine cut in and out (manual trans all the way for me). Then another potential problem I thought about today after following an old Mercedes E Class diesel wagon - the smoke and blackening of bodywork around the exhaust...Sure, there are fuel savings to be made and to quote the latest Motor magazine "pulls like a train from a rolling start" performance advantages with the extra torque. However, I really don't cover too many miles and I crave the sound and linear power of the straight six. That's said without ever having driven either a 125i nor 123d though. Too hard to find a demo or used 125i manual in Brisbane so I have to go with my previous drives in other manual 6 cylinder BMWs. So obviously anyone can see that I have sold myself on the 125i but the 123d certainly makes a solid argument. But in the end I guess they are two rather different cars that appeal to different people and we should be glad BMW provides the choice.

To complicate matters of my own considerations further, I believe with the options I have decided on, that although the 123d is more expensive as a base car than the 125i, a 123d with the exact same options would be say $1-2000 cheaper due to no luxury tax to be paid. Still not enough to convince myself though!

On the topic of prices too: I reckon there is something a bit odd about the pricing of the 123d coupe in that I believe it should be cheaper than a 125i coupe not dearer based on:

I have a driveaway price list that shows the:

120i hatch base $48600
123d hatch base $56400

Extra premium for 123d over 120i of $7800

120i convertible base $58500
123d convertible base $74300

Extra premium for 123d over 120i of $15800! (Couldn't compare coupes as there is no 120i coupe available here) This is in spite of the fact that the 120i convertible would attract a tiny amount of LCT yet the 123d just scrapes in and doesn't attract any LCT at all! As far as I can tell from spec sheets the differences between 120i and 123d in each shape are negligible so there must be a monster profit in a 123d!

It's also a similar story with the premium of a 130i over a 123d M Sport hatch of $7000 when the spec difference is essentially just std 18s for the 130i as it already has the M Sport as standard. Yet the premium from 123d M Sport coupe to 125i M Sport coupe is actually -$1000. Yes, I know the 130i isn't the same as a 125i but spec for spec there isn't anything in it other than the 18s on the 130i again and the properly tuned engine. So to me based on that I would expect the 125i to be around $4-5000 dearer than the 123d coupe or the latter to be an equivalent amount cheaper than the former - lost yet Did I mention that at the coupe prices LCT is well and truely within the 125i M Sport price but still nil on the 123d meaning that the real cost of the 123d is actually even more expensive or conversely the 125i is even cheaper in comparison once LCT is out of the equation. Maybe I'm reading too much into all this but I personally feel the 125i is better value if you could say that on a new BMW in comparison to the difference in prices on similar models depicted above. But that's also not to say the 123d isn't also great value because it is too just not what I would've expected.

Anyway I look forward to seeing your car sometime as I am yet to see a Crimson/Lemon combo in person as I love the combo as seen on the net. I would've ordered that myself if it wasn't for the excessive sun here being less than great for red cars and the fact that I wear blue uniform pants to work everyday that I don't think go that well over time with lemon...

Lastly, you say you tested a 123d and then ordered the one you have now but they have only been on the road since last month as I understand. So I'm assuming you rather found the one you have in stock or on the boat already. Or perhaps you test drove a 123d overseas and ordered a couple of months back prior to it's release here? If you did find the red/lemon at a dealer you're pretty lucky as I think they like to stay away from adventurous colour combos.

Let us see some photos!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
rocketship
Australia
Rep

Thumbs up

Hi QSH17Z,
You will be totally happy with yr 125i for the priorities you want. The non-turbo motor is not the same block/cc/ overhead gear or even manual gearbox as the 135i. The 125i gearbox is easier to use, and the famous award winning engine in this size car is brilliant. Whilst it is on paper de-tuned to only 160kw, they must be big ones! I suspect the engine actually delivers more, and that the reduced KW is a marketing ploy to differentiate between the 135i and 125i. Yes, the 135i is faster, but IMO the 125i is sweeter, with all the power a sane person would ever want. Plus save $10k. Some comments from reviewers re the lack of power are just plain wrong, they must be going on the specs alone. The 125i is perhaps a poor cousin in the hero car stakes, but not a poor car in any way IMHO.
The financial equations you provided would get Einstein confused, you are mentioning Hatchback/Coupe/Convertible/130i etc options all in the same breath! - the coupe is significantly different that the hatchback, rear suspension 5 point multi link aluminium particularly.
What colour/specs is the one you ordered? I dealt with Motorline BMW and they were great in letting me drive quite a few cars before and after I had purchased. When you get yr car we should hook up for a perv session eh! I would like to meet you, but bit concerned the blue uniform might be Mr. Plod and I'd walk into the lions den
Pics attached fyi
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
ladius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 bmw 330i

great write up! unfortunately, we don't get the 123d in the states, although I wish they would bring it over. I drive a lot for my job and would jump on the 123d immediately.

I had a chance to test drive a 135i and the power it has is insane! You're absolutely right about becoming Mr. Hyde! I was breaking the law going above the speed limit the entire test drive!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
Qbone
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSH17Z View Post
Then another potential problem I thought about today after following an old Mercedes E Class diesel wagon - the smoke and blackening of bodywork around the exhaust...
there is none not sure what its called in english though(not in swedish either) maybe smoke-reducer?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #7
rocketship
Australia
Rep

The 123d uses a costly particulate filter that greatly reduces pollution emissions and eliminates sooty exhausts. It also causes some loss of power as I understand it restricts exhaust gas flow. So no smoky black fumes from these diesels that incorporate high technology in many ways to tranform the latest generation of diesel burners! Power + cleanliness + economy sounds the way to go for me!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Your car looks brilliant rocketship! I wouldn't be surprised if it was the only 1 series in that colour combo in the country. I have tossed around many colour combos prior to and since my order but it always comes back to the almost default Alpine White and Coral Red. I have already signed myself up for cruises once the car arrives and I suspect that you will likely also be there. Didn't think about the blue uniform quote but you can rest easy as it's only blue pants and a bright fluoro yellow shirt.

I have dealt with Motorline twice in the last couple of months and found them to be utterly incompetent and/or arrogant. First occasion saw me waiting to be attended to right in front of at least one salesperson who was clearly not otherwise occupied. After a few minutes of nothing I approached to initiate conversation and met with false apologies. Pretty bad considering I actually put more effort into my choice of clothing prior to going in - waste of time. Most recently I practically handed them a sale by phoning through and telling another salesperson exactly the spec I wanted and what price range I had already been quoted elsewhere. I even threw in a couple of points that would let him know I wasn't mucking about as the points could only have been known after already talking with someone within a BMW dealership. No drive required, no trying to convince me to buy, no trade in to consider, no hard sell needed, just perhaps 30 minutes of their time and to this day I am still waiting for their callback! I now only ever visit Motorline to see if I can find a coupe in the colours I've ordered amongst their unregistered stock in their backlot facing Ikea. Unfortunately like your colour combo I have somewhat surprisingly not yet seen an Alpine White and Coral Red combo.

My pricing observations were initially referring to the basic premium of a 123d over a 120i in the hatch versus the same premium in the convertible. The fact that the hatch and convertible are obviously different has no relevance here as it's the difference between 120i and 123d that's the key. AFAIK the spec level of a 120i hatch is near as to similar to that of a 123d aside from the engine whether we are considering hatch or convertible so that really only leaves the engine as the major difference. So in the case of the hatch the 123d is only $7800 extra yet the convertible jump from 120i to 123d is double that! Obviously it would be easier to compare coupe to coupe but there isn't the same variety available here to do so.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbone View Post
there is none not sure what its called in english though(not in swedish either) maybe smoke-reducer?
Yeah that doesn't surprise me really, also the reason I mentioned potential as I suspected that there may well be some way around that problem these days.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
rocketship
Australia
Rep

Hi QSH17Z & Qbone,
The other thing that eliminates black smoke in the high pressure diesels is that because of the twin turbos mostly, fuel is injected ata whopping 20000bar in precisely measured quantities, virtually vaporised so that there is almost complete consumption/efficiency, no waste to fart out the rear!
QSH -lots of other people on the 1 Addict thread have had real problems choosing their car, and the BMW pricing is not always logical. Bit like Mae West's comments "So many men and so little time"!
But my philosophy is to choose what you want/love, then bargain with them. I would have been totally happy with a 125i or 123d, but actually got a better deal on the 123d. I had driven a Fiat diesel in Europe last yr and loved the strong motor characteristics for response thru corners and hills, and sorta thought my next car would be a modern diesel. I had to wait 2 loooong months - it was while waiting that I got to testdrive the 123d coupe demo. I was then completely gobsmacked with the little suckers! BTW I had a great experience with Motorline, they were extremely obliging at all times, + I got a very good price - hard to explain eh, but Darren and Neil could not have been nicer or more helpful, and I am not a snobby looking sorta bloke - was half expecting to be treated as second class citizen, but was not!
I just love my 123d, it is fantastic to my eyes in every way, and so far not a rattle or squeak or anything. And coming from a 2007 Honda Accord Euro I had high standards for BMW to meet on the quality front, at this stage ten outa ten!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Qbone
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketship View Post
Hi QSH17Z & Qbone,
The other thing that eliminates black smoke in the high pressure diesels is that because of the twin turbos mostly, fuel is injected ata whopping 20000bar in precisely measured quantities, virtually vaporised so that there is almost complete consumption/efficiency, no waste to fart out the rear!
QSH -lots of other people on the 1 Addict thread have had real problems choosing their car, and the BMW pricing is not always logical. Bit like Mae West's comments "So many men and so little time"!
But my philosophy is to choose what you want/love, then bargain with them. I would have been totally happy with a 125i or 123d, but actually got a better deal on the 123d. I had driven a Fiat diesel in Europe last yr and loved the strong motor characteristics for response thru corners and hills, and sorta thought my next car would be a modern diesel. I had to wait 2 loooong months - it was while waiting that I got to testdrive the 123d coupe demo. I was then completely gobsmacked with the little suckers! BTW I had a great experience with Motorline, they were extremely obliging at all times, + I got a very good price - hard to explain eh, but Darren and Neil could not have been nicer or more helpful, and I am not a snobby looking sorta bloke - was half expecting to be treated as second class citizen, but was not!
I just love my 123d, it is fantastic to my eyes in every way, and so far not a rattle or squeak or anything. And coming from a 2007 Honda Accord Euro I had high standards for BMW to meet on the quality front, at this stage ten outa ten!
okey
i didnt test drove any BMW at all, had driven a 320d a few years back but thats all, saw at a dealer about 200 miles away they got in 3 brand new 123d from Germany, called monday, and picked it up wendsday without any testdrive at all:P
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Op:How about a picture of the engine compartment?
I would love to have a DCT 123D.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
rocketship
Australia
Rep

Qbone, yr black 1er with 19" wheels and lowered looks savage, what a beast! Does it drive and ride ok like that?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Qbone
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketship View Post
Qbone, yr black 1er with 19" wheels and lowered looks savage, what a beast! Does it drive and ride ok like that?
hmm, i dont have either 19 or drop... yet
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
rocketship
Australia
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
Op:How about a picture of the engine compartment?
I would love to have a DCT 123D.
Nothing to see except various motor covers - totally boring to look at - no exhausts, no huge air intakes, nothin! And I can't find the spark plug leads anywhere, ha ha. I did not even bother to take a pic of engine, but you can see pics on BMW sales sites. I guess it's what's inside that counts!
Funny re a DCT tranny, no doubt would be better than curent clutch, in other threads people talk about electronic selectors for manual gears too, quite a good idea. But after driving a few I prefer the many options from sedate to crazy available from the Steptronic sports with paddles - you probably have to try it in the 123d to understand it, it has different torque and driving characteristics from the petrol experience, and all the guys from the BMW dealer are rapt in it too. Gear changes and response are awesomely fast - much faster than anyone can do a manual change, plus in the tight footwell of the coupes it is easy to foul your foot on the brake pedal while trying to work the clutch, especially if you have big feet like me!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I cannot understand why people are comparing the 125i versus the 123d....

They are two completly different cars engine wise.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
rocketship
Australia
Rep

Yes my friend, but that is what makes it intersting and a fair comparison. Only the motor/transmission is different, prices are very similar, performance is similar too, it is a natural to compare. Sadly there is no 120d coupe in Australia to compare with, but overseas reviews and performance figures provide a guide. Also because the advent of new high performance diesels has not yet been experienced by all, it is worthwhile to hear about others experience and viewpoints. After all, both these fine cars are a costly investment, only makes sense to research and compare and ideaaly to drive before purchase. What would you compare the 125i with? The 123d? I think they are the closest, unles you go to the same motor in the hatchback. I think that would be a less useful comparison as the hatchback really is a different car. And when cars are compared across series, ei 135i vs 335i, it is not a fair comparison because of weight differences and suspension set ups. Maybe compare against other manufacturers, as magazines do etc - but hey, this is the Bimmer site full of biased fanatics, yaaahooo
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 03:59 AM   #18
rocketship
Australia
Rep

6000km report 123d coupe

Could not be happier! I could not be more impressed with the ZF Steptronic's ability to always find the right gear at the right time for you, especially while getting used to high torque/low rev characteristics instead of revving to the limit - which I can still do in my other manual cars. Altho the 0-60 time of 7 sec seems slowish, in real life the little sucker can really rush away - it takes a dedicated stick driver to be willing to thrash the revs and drop the clutch to keep up. The motor changes at the redline in auto sports, very fast change indeed, then surges away again. The 0-80 time must be very quick?
Good things: The securing straps in the boot are great for stopping shopping rolling around.
The air con works fab for hot/humid Brisbane weather.
Steering is pinpoint accurate and well weighted with my combo of 17" wheels and Goodyear run-flats, despite my expectations I would not be happy - I expected to change to non-run flats, but will stay with them at this stage.
Ride comfort is just fine - don't believe road report - may be worse with M paak/18" wheels/lower profile tyres, but give BMW credit for nicely balancing their "standard" offering.
Supportive seats - especially the adjustable side wings that snuggle up and hold you in place - I can now take corners faster with less grizzling from the poor passenger being thrown around!
Problems?
Once the cruise control "slipped out" going up a hill, has never happened again.

A few days ago my lovely lady could not start the car. But when I went over and spoke gently to Scarlett (my car) it started first go - may have needed a re-set by turning off the vehicle and simply starting again? - the durn cars of today are getting more like driving a computer every day!!
Annoyances: Seat should slide further back to allow easier entry.
Seat belt mountings are too low and too far back - can cause discomfort for the passenger during spirited driving.
Seat could slide forward easier for rear access - sometimes have to press the seat slide release as well as the rear release.
Summary: This lil thing has exceeded my high expectations, love it
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I love it too. Fully optioned 123d coupe. M-sport suspension is very firm but luckily most of the roads here aren't too bad.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
spfdenhugh
BMWCCA member
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe, Z3 2.8

Memo to BMWNA: bring us more diesel-powered cars here in the States!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I've driven the new 120d and although it's not in the same class as the 123d it still has 340nm of torque and it still has plenty of go. Very zippy and it still pulls hard at almost any speed. I was impressed. I'd imagine the 123d would be 10x better
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #22
rocketship
Australia
Rep

16000k report

This report won't take long - over 16000 k's not one thing has gone wrong, have not even needed the first service yet - Goodyear NCT runflats still have plenty of meat and grip on 'em - probably half life left - average economy seems stuck on 6.4 litre per hundred K's, I'm a bit sceptical about the calculations the computer uses - but on long trips, (and I've had a few) gets down to 5.8 l. But in everyday driving I seem to go for miles on a tank, only got a pissy 51 litre tank too so good thing it is economical.
There are 2 drivers, my lady and me - she is sedate, I ain't. The Steptronic tranny sometimes needs to be retrained when I get back in after she has been using, but it seems to almost recognise me after a few minutes and give me the grunt I want. And grunt is the word, never short for surge, never lost in the gears, no nil none zero and zilch turbo lag at all any time, no bs! I frequently give it full throttle, the Steptronic takes it right to the redline in lower gears. The 123D will take off in first if needed, normally selects second though, but can be over-ridden if you feel threatened at the lights. Evidently manual transmissions can be difficult to get off the line quickly, what a shame of lost potential that must be - I would be mightily p'd off in that case!
The 2 doors thing still bugs me, the lemon interior needs to be cleaned often, and is not easy to clean, still looking for a good and easy leather cleaner for a lazy person, any ideas?
Summary - still brilliant, still in love
Appreciate 0