BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #23
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
It was fixed today by dealer under warrenty "Rear crankshaft oil seal" All fixed now and no more damn squeaking!!

Thanks again to everyone who helped out!

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #24
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

I think my car is going through this right now.

It happens when breaking and coming to a stop. The noise will linger for about a second then go away.

It happened again last night as I pulled the car into the garage, was already stopped and shut it down . Heard it for about a second.

Front or Rear crankcase/crankshaft seal.

My car literally came off of warranty last month. It's like there is a timer built in to start things failing soon as you're off warranty... What a pissoff.

Does anyone know what is involved here? It sounds really worrisome and like a really big job. Wondering what kind of bill I can expect.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalcyon View Post
I think my car is going through this right now.

It happens when breaking and coming to a stop. The noise will linger for about a second then go away.

It happened again last night as I pulled the car into the garage, was already stopped and shut it down . Heard it for about a second.

Front or Rear crankcase/crankshaft seal.

My car literally came off of warranty last month. It's like there is a timer built in to start things failing soon as you're off warranty... What a pissoff.

Does anyone know what is involved here? It sounds really worrisome and like a really big job. Wondering what kind of bill I can expect.
Its the rear seal from what I know. It is a big job... I would only replace it IF it was leaking or when your clutch is worn out. I would think we are talking some serious shop time. 8+ hours plus parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #26
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Its the rear seal from what I know. It is a big job... I would only replace it IF it was leaking or when your clutch is worn out. I would think we are talking some serious shop time. 8+ hours plus parts.
Thanks Dack, I posted an update here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=24

Basically went to the dealership set the jb4 to map 0 and could not reproduce the noise.

Went home, set it back to map5 and I hear the noise again.

I first noticed the squealing noise when I updated the jb4 to the latest ISO firmware (n55) last sunday. I thought it was the front brakes at first since they need replacing badly, but I've ruled that out. Noise has happened after the car has been stopped.

I'm a bit stuck now as I can't properly reproduce but dont want to ditch the jb4 unit. If at all possible I would try to get the dealership to see if they can offer goodwill on the warranty being only a month out.

Doubtful maybe, but its worth a shot, however I would need to be able to reproduce the noise for that.

Another thing that happened and I'm not sure if related but today was particularly hot here 36-37*C reading on the dash, and on the way home while in map0 or "stock" i floored it at one point in 3rd gear and the car felt really sluggish, and then the dreaded engine malfunction, operating at reduced power warning came on. I pulled over somewhere turned the car off and on and it was gone, and everything normal again.

Last edited by thehalcyon; 08-10-2016 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalcyon View Post

Another thing that happened and I'm not sure if related but today was particularly hot here 36-37*C reading on the dash, and on the way home while in map0 or "stock" i floored it at one point in 3rd gear and the car felt really sluggish, and then the dreaded engine malfunction, operating at reduced power warning came on. I pulled over somewhere turned the car off and on and it was gone, and everything normal again.
When I have heard this sound on my 135i(N54) it has always been on a very hot day and at low speeds, revs around 2,800 rpms and falling back down to idle. THAT is when I would hear this fluttering noise.

Like I said... it never bothered me too much to have it repaired - bc I knew it would be a BIG job and nothing never the same as when it came new from the factory. I just figured when my clutch wears out.. I will replace it.

The pcv is an interesting twist to the rear crankshaft seal.

DIY: Understanding the N55 PCV Valve of Doom
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...3#post20396763

As for whats the cause in your car... its hard to tell when watching your video. Maybe make a better sounding video. ?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #28
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

THanks Dack, I will try to reproduce again tonight. I tried earlier today under the stock map0 on Jb4 and no luck. Some people said even while parked reving the engine and pulling the handbrake activated the noise, but no luck here.

I'll see if I can make a better sounding video or sound clip.
Appreciate 0