BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
DopeItsLou_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Low beam and high beam doesnt work

alright so i brought my car to get a quick wash and when i went to dry it i noticed my passenger headlight got condensation and i got a light come up on my dashboard. only the halos work and this has happened to me before after going to the car wash and i had to bring it to bmw but i want to know if theres anyway to fix it cus i dont want bmw to give me any problems because of my halos. help please
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Water got into the light and soaked the ballast, most likely. It may kick back on when the lights dry but don't hold your breath. Keep the lights off until the headlight is completely dry before you try again.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
DopeItsLou_
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Water got into the light and soaked the ballast, most likely. It may kick back on when the lights dry but don't hold your breath. Keep the lights off until the headlight is completely dry before you try again.
i have been driving around tho with one out. still no luck although a whole different icon came up on the dash. im going to put stock halos back on and just take it to bmw and see what they say
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
DopeItsLou_
United_States
Rep

Update: the condensation has gone away but headlight lowbeam/highbeam still doesnt work
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

So... I bet you have aftermarket AE bulbs right? Your covers are not on right - thats what allowed the water into the headlamps. The warning light is for AHL failure.

Looks like you have fried the Xenon ballast and headlights(there are some circuitry inside them!). Maybe even your footwell module. COD its gonna run you about $1K per side. I hope you can get your warranty to cover them. IF not... try hitting up your insurance and make a comp claim!
Appreciate 0