BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

my view:

it's just 1, OEM touch-up paint is good enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #24
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerlover76 View Post
Also, I hate to go against the grain here, but wouldn't a little touch-up paint (carefully applied, mind you) and time to forget it be a more reasonable move?

$800 seems like a lot and to redo the whole bumper seems like overkill. I'm sure you'll find other dings and scratches on her from daily driving, you don't want to redo the whole panel for each of those, do you?
I agree, it would be more reasonable. If it happened to our family SUV or 100K mile 8-year old E46, I would be annoyed, but would touch it up and do the best to minimize it. However, when it happened to my mint/like new, under 10K miles 135i that I'm still babying, I wanted it done the right way, restored as good as new. I'm sure I could have paid less elsewhere, but I also only sought out quotes from the two best shops in the area, shops that are specialize in work on high end cars (BMW, MB, Porsche, Ferrari/exotics, etc) and have the best reputation for their work.
Roger that. Good luck with the work.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #25
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Someone hit my truck and made a scratch on the front like yours. They had to repaint the whole front bumper and clear coat it. It cost $385.

If I were you I would go to two body shops and get estimates. Give the guy the estimate you feel good about and have him write a check. If someone hit your car they need to be responsible and make it right. If he stalls go to your insurance and file a claim. Your insurance will collect from his insurance. Don’t try to use touch up, it will look like crap.

And one more bit of advice. All good body shops offer lifetime guarantee on their work so make sure they have this. So if it does peel off in three to five years you can get it fixed for free.

Good luck!