BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #177
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Picked up "scratch & dent" P/N...282 blacklines on the cheap from ECS.

Noted they were made in Spain.
They looked like this:

Followed a bimmerforums tutorial on taillight restoration, except I used 1200/1500/2000 wet/dry soaked for 1/2hr with a little dish soap, and a drop more soap for lube. Alternating direction with grit of paper and polishes, until I used the DA RO buffer and black pad for Mequiars #7 show car glaze.

Got this:

In certain light, they still had minor scratching, and a little haziness in spots. So I went in by hand, lengthwise only, with 105 ultra-cut, 205 ultra-finish, and again with the #7 show-car.
Happy with the results, I cleaned 'em up real well with Armor-All auto glass cleaner, sprayed with 2 coats Meg's headlight Keep Clear, and let it cure for a day.
Installed, sealed with Meg's Ultimate Liquid, and went for a 500 mile drive.

Added Depo smoked/amber side-markers just to finish it off:

Rear flashers don't seem quite as bright as before, but I love the way they look on my DSB LCI 2012.

Took a bunch more photos (installing), used up over 1GB data uploading to imgur, but they never posted. So I seem unable to share.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      12-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #178
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i xDrive F31

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Picked up "scratch & dent" P/N...282 blacklines on the cheap from ECS.

Noted they were made in Spain.
They looked like this:

Followed a bimmerforums tutorial on taillight restoration, except I used 1200/1500/2000 wet/dry soaked for 1/2hr with a little dish soap, and a drop more soap for lube. Alternating direction with grit of paper and polishes, until I used the DA RO buffer and black pad for Mequiars #7 show car glaze.

Got this:

In certain light, they still had minor scratching, and a little haziness in spots. So I went in by hand, lengthwise only, with 105 ultra-cut, 205 ultra-finish, and again with the #7 show-car.
Happy with the results, I cleaned 'em up real well with Armor-All auto glass cleaner, sprayed with 2 coats Meg's headlight Keep Clear, and let it cure for a day.
Installed, sealed with Meg's Ultimate Liquid, and went for a 500 mile drive.

Added Depo smoked/amber side-markers just to finish it off:

Rear flashers don't seem quite as bright as before, but I love the way they look on my DSB LCI 2012.

Took a bunch more photos (installing), used up over 1GB data uploading to imgur, but they never posted. So I seem unable to share.
HAHA I almost bought those ones you did but didnt' because of the scratches.. Looking great - I should have!

Some major dickhead crunched my right one in my work parking lot.

Instead I bought a fresh pair of 2 from ECS. If anyone needs a Left only light, new in wrap let me know

I have it on eBay too you can probably find it.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
      12-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #179
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Finally got imgur to behave a little.
Here's one of 'em, as installed.

Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      09-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #180
Reial
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82 123d 08

Hi all,
I'm hoping you can clear a couple things up for me.
I have an 08 123d with the 3 bar LED rear lights, as shown in the OP. my driver side LEDs are now not working and I've confirmed it's the board as volts are reaching the circuit board, but no light. There fore replacement, right? So I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade to blacklines.

As my car already has LED running lights fed from the second wiring loom, will I need to do any coding with the LCIs? As I assume it should just be plug and play. I do not have Xenons on the front if this affects anything?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #181
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reial View Post
Hi all,
I'm hoping you can clear a couple things up for me.
I have an 08 123d with the 3 bar LED rear lights, as shown in the OP. my driver side LEDs are now not working and I've confirmed it's the board as volts are reaching the circuit board, but no light. There fore replacement, right? So I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade to blacklines.

As my car already has LED running lights fed from the second wiring loom, will I need to do any coding with the LCIs? As I assume it should just be plug and play. I do not have Xenons on the front if this affects anything?

cheers
The LCI's work for all US cars. Because your car is EU/UK specs... and that you don't have xenons... you might need to upgrade your footwell module(and have it coded). The Blackline's & LCI tail lights need a FR3 module. I suspect yours is a FR1 module. Looking at the ETK(online parts catalog) you also need the wiring harness adaptor...

Blacklines p/n 63212225282
FR3 module p/n 61359263804
harness adaptor p/n 61122219698

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_0754

IF your car was built after 09/2009 you only need the #282 Blackline tails. IF your car was built before Sept '09 you will need the new footwell module and harness.

Best thing would be to ask a dealer IF you could plug one tail light into your car's wiring harness and see IF the LED tubes light up.

Order the #282 blackline kit - its cheaper than order each tail light separately.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #182
Reial
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The LCI's work for all US cars. Because your car is EU/UK specs... and that you don't have xenons... you might need to upgrade your footwell module(and have it coded). The Blackline's & LCI tail lights need a FR3 module. I suspect yours is a FR1 module. Looking at the ETK(online parts catalog) you also need the wiring harness adaptor...

Blacklines p/n 63212225282
FR3 module p/n 61359263804
harness adaptor p/n 61122219698

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_0754

IF your car was built after 09/2009 you only need the #282 Blackline tails. IF your car was built before Sept '09 you will need the new footwell module and harness.

Best thing would be to ask a dealer IF you could plug one tail light into your car's wiring harness and see IF the LED tubes light up.

Order the #282 blackline kit - its cheaper than order each tail light separately.

Dackel
Thanks for the reply.

I thought I had read on other threads that this wouldn't be required and would be just PNP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crematoriant View Post
If you have pre-lci model with pre-lci tail lights then the tail lights have 3 horizontal led tubes (tail light on the right). And if you want to upgrade on lci tail lights (tail light on the left) there won't be problems with it. They should be PnP even if you have halogen model. Only lci halogen models have to "jump wire" in tail lights connectors to make them works.
From another thread.

If that is the case then guess I'm sticking with the 3 bar ones, if I can find them
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #183
Reial
Registered
Rep

Technically speaking, why would the car need an FR3 opposed to an FR1 module? It's just what drives the LEDs isn't it, which just require 12V which is what is driving the LEDs on my current 3 bar (63217285642)ones?

Just trying to understand why!

Thank you Dackel if that is the case. I'm going to sell it shortly so will likely source a 3 bar replacement instead.
Appreciate 0