BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

Let me put a new spin on this as I am sure many 1M owners feel this way. Mine is a stripper AW. There is No other car I would rather have for daily use (really). Nor will there ever be (last of the analog cars). If totaled where the hell would I get another? Seriously I would not take $100,000 for it. And if I had to buy another AW stripper I would pay in the $60,000s all day long and be grateful.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
Let me put a new spin on this as I am sure many 1M owners feel this way. Mine is a stripper AW. There is No other car I would rather have for daily use (really). Nor will there ever be (last of the analog cars). If totaled where the hell would I get another? Seriously I would not take $100,000 for it. And if I had to buy another AW stripper I would pay in the $60,000s all day long and be grateful.
+1

I wouldn't sell mine in the $60's now either. There is nothing I could replace it with anywhere near that price range.

I disagree with the comment that the buyer sets the "market" price. Market value is where the transaction occurs - i.e. the price at which the buyers are willing to buy and the sellers are willing to sell. There seems to be a big "two-way" right now!

True market price is tough on low volume cars (or low volume anything), as there is not much liquidity in the market. One sale at $65k doesn't mean the market value is $65k, but one sale at $45k doesn't mean its $45k either.

Thats my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

those who never owned 1M will never understand the passion supporting this car. I hope i will never have to sell mine.

I understand that there were a hand full of random people owning this amazing car to just flip it for profit, and the other bunch that wanted the latest and coolest.

Prospective buyers need to understand that once the above mentioned pool of sellers dry up, there will be none for sale, period...

Once the new M2/M4 come out there will be more sales, the last wave, after that nobody will sell
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #26
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
those who never owned 1M will never understand the passion supporting this car. I hope i will never have to sell mine.

I understand that there were a hand full of random people owning this amazing car to just flip it for profit, and the other bunch that wanted the latest and coolest.

Prospective buyers need to understand that once the above mentioned pool of sellers dry up, there will be none for sale, period...

Once the new M2/M4 come out there will be more sales, the last wave, after that nobody will sell
This.

Having owned an E46 M3 and E90 M3 this weird pocketrocket is really something else. Much(MUCH!) more involving, faster in 9/10 circumstances , higher MPG LOL

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Tarball
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Has 4 Wheels

I think we're confusing personal value with market value.

My kids artwork may be worth $100k to me, but I doubt I'd get enough to buy a taco.

I hope people hang on to their cars, but realistically, what it's worth to you has to match what it's worth to others when you're ready to sell :/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
ShawnK
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

My VO is for sale. I'm just outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I need one more post before I can list it in the classifieds section. Sorry, I don't post much.

Anyone in Canada looking to purchase? Fully loaded with 7,969 km (4952 miles). Never winter driven. Mint condition.

<Update> Sold.

Shawn

Last edited by ShawnK; 05-19-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makayez View Post
I think we're confusing personal value with market value.

My kids artwork may be worth $100k to me, but I doubt I'd get enough to buy a taco.

I hope people hang on to their cars, but realistically, what it's worth to you has to match what it's worth to others when you're ready to sell :/
Yes. But how about this: My car costed me slightly over 40K Euro including the transportation and insurance I had to pay; the car itself was like 38,600 Euro. The same car would cost 58,500 Euro in Germany when new, or 135,000Euro in Turkey where I put my order back then. Wild differences! But it would also worth 80,000 USD new at the dealer where I actually live now, in Chile, the same place that my car was delivered directly from factory a year and half ago.

The fact is I am not selling it (yet!) for a 100K offer in Chile which is more than its new price here and double of my cost and moreover I am also not going to sell it in Brazil (my wife is Brazilian, I have access to that market too) later. There are only 6 cars in Brazil available in internet, all used, lowest for 110K USD and highest for 150K USD.

As you see whatever I do wherever I sell it I will make profit, quite a bit or A LOT indeed, like triple in some cases, but I am not selling it which tells something about "market value" of this car in addition to its value for me as you put it.

Like others said before me, as long as I can not replace it with something similar, the world of buyers around me offering double or triple of my actual buying price means little if anything. Like -Z- said it spot on above, one day there will probably be only people like me left in the market and buyers of those cars will also be people like us. M2 won't change this fact, only will seal the deal after hurrying cross-shoppers leave the scene.

I think US buyers who are hoping for big drop in prices of 1Ms are risking it big time. This car was offered for a dirt cheap price in US and that is not well appreciated by most. If they really want to be the long-time owner of a pristine 1M for a "fair" price it is not any later than now the best time to buy it imo.

What I mean in another word is if your kid's artwork worths 100K for you but don't buy a taco now, you should not sell it for a taco or two anyway. You should not sell it for 100K too as long as you feel like that. After all if your kid turns out to be the next Picasso it may worth well over it in the future too
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Cole Trickle
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupé

I've just put a deposit down on a 1M here in the United Kingdom.
Its Alpine White with black wheels and has 10,000 miles.

Pretty decent equipment specification and it has set me back £39k from a BMW dealership.
It looks like prices are holding well and I've been wanting to get hold of one for a while.

I cannot wait till next Wednesday!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
What I mean in another word is if your kid's artwork worths 100K for you but don't buy a taco now, you should not sell it for a taco or two anyway. You should not sell it for 100K too as long as you feel like that. After all if your kid turns out to be the next Picasso it may worth well over it in the future too
Never say never. In his lifetime, Vincent van Gogh managed to sell ...only one painting: "The Red Vineyards Near Arles" (1888). It was sold for 400 Francs (± $1,000-1,050 today). The market was not interested. He lived in poverty, was half mad and committed suicide at the age of 37, leaving an exquisite collection of impressionism paintings to the world. Check prices for a Van Gogh anno 2013...

Name:  VanGogh_RedVineyardsArles.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  85.7 KB
      03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Never say never. In his lifetime, Vincent van Gogh managed to sell ...only one painting: "The Red Vineyards Near Arles" (1888). It was sold for 400 Francs (± $1,000-1,050 today). The market was not interested. He lived in poverty, was half mad and committed suicide at the age of 37, leaving an exquisite collection of impressionism paintings to the world. Check prices for a Van Gogh anno 2013...

Attachment 833815
Of course now your critics will say "are you seriously comparing a 1 series car to a Van Gogh painting?"

You could always reply back by saying something like "this reminds me what they said to Van Gogh in his lifetime; do you think you are also an artist like Rubens?" He was even better
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #33
pwn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Cayman S

Sounds like you are trying to fluff yourselves on the 1m value. 60k is too high. 100k for a 1m? LOL. You can get a Z8 (which is much more prestigious than any 1 series ever could be) for ~120.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, and I don't blame you for convincing yourself of the high value and that you'll never sell it. These cars are expensive for what they are.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #34
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwn View Post
Sounds like you are trying to fluff yourselves on the 1m value. 60k is too high. 100k for a 1m? LOL. You can get a Z8 (which is much more prestigious than any 1 series ever could be) for ~120.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, and I don't blame you for convincing yourself of the high value and that you'll never sell it. These cars are expensive for what they are.
Every market is different. I can get 100K for my 1M today. And I can get more than that in a few months after some paper work.

But I can't get a Z8 for that kind of "little" money around here, I doubt there is any and if there is they won't sell it for anything less than 2 or 300K.

Nominally speaking cheapest are the US prices, new or used.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
pwn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Every market is different. I can get 100K for my 1M today. And I can get more than that in a few months after some paper work.

But I can't get a Z8 for that kind of "little" money around here, I doubt there is any and if there is they won't sell it for anything less than 2 or 300K.

Nominally speaking cheapest are the US prices, new or used.
Ya, I'm speaking within the US, I think out of country will obviously be way different.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
I owned a 2011 135 and then jumped at the chance to buy the 1M, also a 2011. I paid $41K for the 135 and $51K for the 1M and had both in my driveway and both with payment books for 6 months.. Thank goodness I was able to sell the 135 to a fellow 1Addict.

According to Kelley Blue book, using private party sale pricing and the exact same options as I spec'd out each car the same, the 135 is only worth $30.8K in excellent condition while the 1M is worth $57.5K...so what started as a $10K difference new is now $27K difference used two years later.

I like that....

It's also worth noting that the DCT in my 135 added no value to these estimates and the value of the 6MT was the same at $30.8K. So DCT was an expensive option that gave no residual value on trade-in/selling.
      03-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #37
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
I owned a 2011 135 and then jumped at the chance to buy the 1M, also a 2011. I paid $41K for the 135 and $51K for the 1M and had both in my driveway and both with payment books for 6 months.. Thank goodness I was able to sell the 135 to a fellow 1Addict.

According to Kelley Blue book, using private party sale pricing and the exact same options as I spec'd out each car the same, the 135 is only worth $30.8K in excellent condition while the 1M is worth $57.5K...so what started as a $10K difference new is now $27K difference used two years later.

I like that....

It's also worth noting that the DCT in my 135 added no value to these estimates and the value of the 6MT was the same at $30.8K. So DCT was an expensive option that gave no residual value on trade-in/selling.
This is very interesting data indeed! If these really reflect what is happening in the actual market then the trend is working very much against the 135i, maybe even more so than the other 1 series models. Can there be a psychological effect that after the arrival of 1M maybe second hand market turned mercilessly against the 135i especially in US, the biggest market by far for 135i models, due to the simple fact that it was not anymore the top version of the series?

The widening delta between those two prices seem quite unfair news for 135i owners who bought their cars new, of course, unless they want to keep their cars long time. It should be affecting the 128i versions badly too because indirectly now 135i is getting much cheaper which further pushes down the used prices of 128i.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #38
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

their is a black 1m on autotrader just listed for 72k. crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #39
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
I think it's also a reflection of total sales excess as there are a ton of 1series cars available.

Sales figures for BMW 1series in the USA show that in those five years a lot of cars were sold in the USA but we know very little has changed on this car.

2008 12,018
2009 11,182
2010 13,132
2011 8832
2012 7689

Overall 2008-2012, 53000 cars were sold. The 2008 128/135 was an amazing car but little changed in all those years. The 1M represented a paradigm shift in capabilities and driving excitement....and at a very limited head count of 740, and made for one year only... so to me these resale values reflect a glut on one hand and a shortage on the other...bottom line almost $30,000 USD market value difference between my 2011 135 and 2011 1M.

make sense?
      03-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #40
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwn View Post

I've driven the Z8 (one of my former bosses had one). I prefer the 1M.

There are at least 10 cars around that price range I would buy before the Z8.

Also, if you think people are buying the 1M for prestige, you're not getting the point.

p.s. I have no skin in this game at all. Not planning to sell and don't care if the car is worth 10k or 100k in 10 years. I've had people approach me wanting to buy the car from me though and I can tell you that those who are genuinely interested in buying this car and have the means to do so, don't consider the market to be over-inflated.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #41
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

time from time when i am in public places, i come back to my car only to find a personal card attached to my windshield with a note that if i ever want to sell it to give them a call first.

how many 135/M3 owners got such cards? i would bet none!

high prices put up by owners is nothing else but true market price discovery... make me an offer sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

I just checked the value of my kbb with 4900 miles vo /just bluetooth option .

Excellent
$56,498
Very Good
$55,298
Good
$53,698
Fair
$49,398

Last edited by LOVEM; 03-21-2013 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #43
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

There are lots of people out there that think 1M is just a "tuned" 135 with an aero body kit, therefore is not worth the money. Without driving a 1M, not that you can have access to test drive one easily, one would not understand the difference. The weather is turning nicer, the other day I switched on the MDM mode and ripped it (not even with M mode) and it just put a big on my face. Not going to sell mine any time soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #44
jvmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1m valencia orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
I've driven the Z8 (one of my former bosses had one). I prefer the 1M.

There are at least 10 cars around that price range I would buy before the Z8.

Also, if you think people are buying the 1M for prestige, you're not getting the point.

p.s. I have no skin in this game at all. Not planning to sell and don't care if the car is worth 10k or 100k in 10 years. I've had people approach me wanting to buy the car from me though and I can tell you that those who are genuinely interested in buying this car and have the means to do so, don't consider the market to be over-inflated.
The Z8 is another demographic than the 1 series crowd. The Z8 is the ultimate BMW beside the original M1 in 1979-80. And I dont think BMW will ever make another Halo car. I have always had my eye on a Z8 and I finally pulled the trigger back in Jan. The build quality of the Z8 is amazing, v8 power with the 6 speed manual is awesome. It is a special occasion car, whereas the 1M can be driven everyday which much more enjoyment.
1991 & 1995 Porsche 911
2012 Audi R8
Appreciate 0