BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
RWD FUN
Private
Rep
Drives:

Turbo Replacement Under Warranty

A couple weeks ago I visited my dealer for the final time before my warranty ran out to get a few things addressed.

3rd brake light cracked (replaced)
Steering wheel peeling (replaced)
Ticking noise from engine (Both Turbos Replaced)

My vehicle has pretty low mileage and I mentioned the ticking last year, with no results. I knew there was something about people getting waste gates (DV's) serviced/replaced, but didn't know anything about turbos going bad. I've never modded the car and had it from mile 3 4 years ago. I'm pretty aggressive on the gas at times, but nothing crazy. Can anyone tell me if there was a design change on them or if this is something to be expected from a 38K mile vehicle?

Thanks
RWD FUN
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The early cars had small/thin wastegate actuator arms. I seem to recall 8mm vs the later ones being 10mm's. The early ones tended to round out the actuator diaphragm and rattle in place. I think this was mainly for cars up to late 2008 or maybe early '09's.

I suppose they also looked at your injectors and HPFP and SW to make sure all those are good to go too?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
RWD FUN
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the info

I received my car in May of 2008, so it was an early one. I was hoping there was a design change. Is turbo replacement the usual solution for the dealer or early on, before the design change, did they just replace the wastegates/arms? Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with the dealer changing them, but I'm a little anxious with that big of a change right before my warranty expires. I'm always more comfortable with any component installation at the plant rather than at the dealer. I was also surprised that they would do it. I know it took quite a bit of documentation from the dealer back to the mother ship for it to get done, but my dealer has been very good through the life of my warranty

I did get the HPFP replaced last year along with a few injectors and this time they ran a bunch of diagnostics and replaced a few other odd sensors. All without me asking for or pushing things. Even though I toyed with the idea of modding it, I never have (Except the golf tee mod). I'm glad I didn't now. I'm guessing that was partially what all the diagnostics were for.

Another quick question. I had to have the left headlight housing replaced along with all the bulbs and control modules and igniters, etc. It had to go back to the dealer for reprogramming of the lights because the main light would light. When I got it back I noticed that the light doesn't turn as far left as the the right one turns right. I thought I remembered it moving more left. Dealer stated that it wouldn't to not blind on-coming drivers. Is this a recent change that I now have due to reprogramming or has this always been the case and I'm mis-remembering how my lights operated?

Thanks
RWD FUN
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Don't quote me on this. But, according to my dealer any malfunctioning part that is replaced gets an extended warranty for an additional year or two. (on that part only)
I am also in the same situation as you. The noise got really irritating so I took it in to complain and my 08 135i only has about 30k miles on it. There was also an updated TSB for the turbos specifically for the wastegates that appended a few years to the warranty on another thread here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD FUN View Post
Thanks for the info

I received my car in May of 2008, so it was an early one. I was hoping there was a design change. Is turbo replacement the usual solution for the dealer or early on, before the design change, did they just replace the wastegates/arms? Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with the dealer changing them, but I'm a little anxious with that big of a change right before my warranty expires. I'm always more comfortable with any component installation at the plant rather than at the dealer. I was also surprised that they would do it. I know it took quite a bit of documentation from the dealer back to the mother ship for it to get done, but my dealer has been very good through the life of my warranty

I did get the HPFP replaced last year along with a few injectors and this time they ran a bunch of diagnostics and replaced a few other odd sensors. All without me asking for or pushing things. Even though I toyed with the idea of modding it, I never have (Except the golf tee mod). I'm glad I didn't now. I'm guessing that was partially what all the diagnostics were for.

Another quick question. I had to have the left headlight housing replaced along with all the bulbs and control modules and igniters, etc. It had to go back to the dealer for reprogramming of the lights because the main light would light. When I got it back I noticed that the light doesn't turn as far left as the the right one turns right. I thought I remembered it moving more left. Dealer stated that it wouldn't to not blind on-coming drivers. Is this a recent change that I now have due to reprogramming or has this always been the case and I'm mis-remembering how my lights operated?

Thanks
RWD FUN
Appreciate 0