BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Watkins Glen International Event Summary - Plus Vid of me from 25 Sep 2011

Event: GVC BMW CCA Stan Parker Memorial @ Watkins Glen
Date:
25 Sep 2011

Got back LATE last night from the Glen. A-Mazing time! I definitely improved my line and time, and pushed myself a bit more to be at the limit more. Friday it rained and rained, from noon throughout the rest of the day. A lot of cars wound up with either mechanical or armco-induced body rearrangement on Friday (moreso than I've ever seen at a single day at an event).

Saturday turned out to be damp in the morning, but they did put out the jet drier before we went out. So, the standing puddles were no longer there, from the overnight torrents. Since I was in the first run group (A Solo), we dried the course out for everybody else. From there on out it was dry and increasingly warmer and stickier out there, with bright sun and close to 80 for Sunday.

There were two 1Ms there one Alpine White, and the other Valencia Orange, and four 135i's there running - all are members here. One of the 135i's was nearly a twin to mine, and after it (unfortunately) lost control coming around the heel of the boot, it went into the armco on the passenger and rear sides, doing very significant damage, including really messing the rear suspension. I know they took the driver away by ambulance, and I hope they are okay!!! Everybody thought it was me, since we had the same car/wheel combo.

Regardless, being in A Solo, I was very fortunate to be able to run in both the A/B run groups, plus the instructor run group. That allowed for 6 sessions on Sat, 7 on Sunday... including back to back sessions that made those an hour of seat time each. I chose to do 15-20 min sessions, pitting out 10 mins before the session ended to save my brakes and not exhaust myself.

What an awesome event though. Great times, friends (including my new ones), learning experience, and venue. Mucho thanks to the GVC Chapter for providing yet another top notch event!!

Here's some footage from a borrowed GoPro HD (thanks Christo!) of part of one of my morning sessions from yesterday.

So what are you guys waiting for? Go to your local chapter's website and find their next event for you to attend!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
nice driving! wow this track is a fast one!
      09-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

ARMCO....ARMCO EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Nice vid !!

Hopefully the other guy is ok...sucks to get bounced around like that with just a seat belt..
      09-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Thanks! I was detuned yesterday, and only made it to ~143mph on the back straight. Tuned, last year I was braking at 152, heading in to the bus stop. It certainly is a fast one.

Pixelbue, looks like you had a blast as well!!! Nice going!

I just noticed Tracktime photos just posted the event up, and I ordered this one, framed and matted:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
ARMCO....ARMCO EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Nice vid !!

Hopefully the other guy is ok...sucks to get bounced around like that with just a seat belt..
Thanks!

Was he only in the stock 3 point restraints? That's a bummer, if so. I also wonder if his instructor was okay.. I came around the heel of the boot, just as he was coming to a stop, and before they even yellow flagged us.

I heard he might've gone into the heel way too hot, over corrected and went backwards cross track into the wall. It happens, but it sucks.

I recommend ADSS and Autocross for all who want to track. Some of the best drivers from the Northeast learned car control from autocross.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Thanks! I was detuned yesterday, and only made it to ~143mph on the back straight. Tuned, last year I was braking at 152, heading in to the bus stop. It certainly is a fast one.

Pixelbue, looks like you had a blast as well!!! Nice going!

I just noticed Tracktime photos just posted the event up, and I ordered this one, framed and matted:
Nice pic! Delicious E82 sandwich
      09-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
blotto649
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '04 996 GT3/'88 911 Carrera

OMG, so glad I read this thread! I had no idea they had photographers there - what a genius idea. This could get expensive

Great to meet so many good guys from the forums this past weekend - always nice to put faces to screen names. I had such an amazing time - gonna be a looooong winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Hobdul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: used to have a 2008 135i...

Great video Larry, and nice meeting you over the weekend at the Glen. Next time I'll be on the track rather than my wife. See you in the spring.
Appreciate 0