BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
deepsunzhine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

Question about aFe intakes

hi guys i have a question....whats the difference between the afe stage 2 and the afe stage 2 si intake...the stage 2 is 427 dollars and adds 27 hps....and the stage 2 si is 520 dollars and adds 14 hps....im noob but really want to learn about all this things...thanx
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsunzhine
hi guys i have a question....whats the difference between the afe stage 2 and the afe stage 2 si intake...the stage 2 is 427 dollars and adds 27 hps....and the stage 2 si is 520 dollars and adds 14 hps....im noob but really want to learn about all this things...thanx
Ever decide on a color? Any luck finding a 1M???
      08-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
deepsunzhine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsunzhine
Ever decide on a color? Any luck finding a 1M???
im negotiating a VO....but im already looking for an intake and some other things....do u know bout this 2 intakes????...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsunzhine View Post
im negotiating a VO....but im already looking for an intake and some other things....do u know bout this 2 intakes????...
As a rule of thumb, no air intake can give that much improvement if any. There is nothing wrong with the OEM intake. I wouldn't even change the oem filter. Credible studies have shown that most aftermarket filters don't filter particles as well as oem filters, which is not to say aftermarket filters are inferior in quality, but rather it's part of their design to have less filtration for increased air flow. High flow air filters are fine for racing applications, given that they are being run on a relatively clean environment of a race track and that the engine is either rebuilt or only meant to last for a few races. I honestly see no benefit in fitting aftermarket filters unless you are after aural aesthetics only. In fact, it would be more beneficial to change your oem air filter at half the normal BMW interval, compared to someone having an after market filter which they eventually neglect to clean on a regular basis.

Also, a lot of aftermarket intakes leave their filtration element exposed in the engine bay, which will cause the engine to suffer from heat soak if you are not travelling fast enough to supply sufficient cool air. I say, get your car first, get used to it, spend your money on improving your driving ability, only then decide on increasing the performance of your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83

As a rule of thumb, no air intake can give that much improvement if any. There is nothing wrong with the OEM intake. I wouldn't even change the oem filter. Credible studies have shown that most aftermarket filters don't filter particles as well as oem filters, which is not to say aftermarket filters are inferior in quality, but rather it's part of their design to have less filtration for increased air flow. High flow air filters are fine for racing applications, given that they are being run on a relatively clean environment of a race track and that the engine is either rebuilt or only meant to last for a few races. I honestly see no benefit in fitting aftermarket filters unless you are after aural aesthetics only. In fact, it would be more beneficial to change your oem air filter at half the normal BMW interval, compared to someone having an after market filter which they eventually neglect to clean on a regular basis.

Also, a lot of aftermarket intakes leave their filtration element exposed in the engine bay, which will cause the engine to suffer from heat soak if you are not travelling fast enough to supply sufficient cool air. I say, get your car first, get used to it, spend your money on improving your driving ability, only then decide on increasing the performance of your car.
Couldn't have said it better.
      08-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post

Very well said! You need to learn the car first, strengths and weaknesses before starting to "upgrade" it. I myself said before in another thread that the best money I could spend on the 1M for the moment is probably taking advanced driving courses

If you really want to change some bits from the start, think about a good exhaust, stickier tires, track wheels if you plan to track it or keep yourself playing with certain exterior and interior mods, since there is a lot of space for improvement and personalization in those areas. You don't need to mod every technical aspect of 1M, it comes pretty good out of the box like any M car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
deepsunzhine
Enlisted Member
Rep

thnx for the opinion but my question...wuts the differences beteween those 2 cai????...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
One is sealed and one isn't. There you go.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
deepsunzhine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills
Quote:
One is sealed and one isn't. There you go.
i know that...but why the sealed one is more expensive and gives less power....and the other is cheaper and has two filters and gives more power
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
i know that...but why the sealed one is more expensive and gives less power....and the other is cheaper and has two filters and gives more power
Quite obvious, because the construction of the Si is more complex and a more complete system. The non-Si is just a simple open intake and prone to heat soak.

You can clearly see from the pictures which one is more expensive to make.

Name:  50-81472_1.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  18.7 KB
Name:  afe135intake.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  125.9 KB

AFE are taking people for a ride to be honest.

Last edited by mlhj83; 08-19-2012 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
deepsunzhine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83
Quote:
Quite obvious, because the construction of the Si is more complex and a more complete system. The non-Si is just a simple open intake and prone to heat soak.

You can clearly see from the pictures which one is more expensive to make.

Attachment 737655
Attachment 737656

AFE are taking people for a ride to be honest.
thank u very muchhhhhh....last question..between thise 2 which one has a better sound...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
SHFT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 6MT

any unsealed intake system is going to give you "better sound"over a sealed intake system like your stock set up and if that's what your going for just slap on some DCI's from BMS for 90 dollars.

Last edited by SHFT; 08-20-2012 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

But first and foremost: once you get your hands on a 1M, drive it.

As others will testify too: already stock it's quite a powerful motoring handgun.
      08-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Im really tried to restrain myself but a 1M intake thread whose entire premise is "which has the best air sucking sound"..... SMH

At least you have great taste in cars....

And props to those who took the time to put some real advice on the table!
Appreciate 0