BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #23
1er coupe
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Sorry wasn't trying to crap on your thread - was just telling you of my experience with HID

If I had to go again I will go with bavarian LS1, I don't like the stock Angel eyes how the outer ones are dimmer then the inner ones!
To be honest I still like the look of the old CCFL angel eyes! Bring 'em back!!

I thought people would be more interested in the actual xenon conversion....not how I illuminate the rings! Took 6 months of planning/looking for parts/searching forums/saving up money etc!

I know what you mean about HID being VERY bright at night...I've not had anyone flashing at me yet though.

If it becomes an issue I'll just get the laminex tint....like this 3 series with 6000K HIDs and tinted headlights (which stops the bleed).

It sounds stupid...but I looked at the HIDs with sunglasses on tonight and thought "yes, that looks perfect" so I guess 6% tints would give a similar effect!

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er coupe View Post
To be honest I still like the look of the old CCFL angel eyes! Bring 'em back!!

I thought people would be more interested in the actual xenon conversion....not how I illuminate the rings! Took 6 months of planning/looking for parts/searching forums/saving up money etc!

I know what you mean about HID being VERY bright at night...I've not had anyone flashing at me yet though.

If it becomes an issue I'll just get the laminex tint....like this 3 series with 6000K HIDs and tinted headlights (which stops the bleed).

It sounds stupid...but I looked at the HIDs with sunglasses on tonight and thought "yes, that looks perfect" so I guess 6% tints would give a similar effect!
Haha definitely kudos to you for retrofiting the xenon headlight!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #25
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
The WHOLE halogen to xenon conversion actually cost less than $2000 smart ass.
Uhmmmm...not according to your post on babybmw (if I've got my conversions straight). And be careful of the name-calling,
you'll hurt my feelings!

Quote:
OK you can "see" LUX in direct sunlight...just not very well.
I understand that your post is mostly about gaining xenons. But you chose along the way to take a dump on the hundreds and
hundreds of 1ers on these forums who have installed LUX "LEDs" with your snarky dismissal of LUX products. Most of us can see
our halos well enough...and I doubt you'd find many (if any) with OEM xenons willing to spend 10 times more for HID halos.

All that said, your headlights do look sweet! Good job
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
1er coupe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
Uhmmmm...not according to your post on babybmw (if I've got my conversions straight). And be careful of the name-calling,
you'll hurt my feelings!

I understand that your post is mostly about gaining xenons. But you chose along the way to take a dump on the hundreds and
hundreds of 1ers on these forums who have installed LUX "LEDs" with your snarky dismissal of LUX products. Most of us can see
our halos well enough...and I doubt you'd find many (if any) with OEM xenons willing to spend 10 times more for HID halos.

All that said, your headlights do look sweet! Good job

ooh sorry i went $100 over $2000 hahaha for a complete facelift! Sorry I dont generally work in dollars. I did it as cost effective as possible.

Where are you getting this information about HIDs?

The HIDs cost £150 ($243)! They hardly break the bank dude! LUX cost more!...they are the best of the "plug and play" angel eyes, yes. But if you want the brighest, you need HID.

Thats just the way it is, I never said LUX are bad...they are just not what I want.

Anyway, I never even mentioned LUX to begin with...I just said LEDs in general. Someone else started comparing brands and I'm not interested.

Cheers anyway, hope you enjoyed the pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #27
1er coupe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
Much appreciated look forward to the pics!
Hello,

The wires go through the back housing...i thought you meant through the headlight itself! There is a rubber grommet too although I don't think water could ever get in there anyway.

You can see the orange ballasts attached to the chassis and the control units are out of view at the back of the headlight.

BALLASTS

And my passenger side headlight (with Stebel Nautilus air horn behind)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #28
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Thanks for the pics. Those look like resistors rather along with ballasts. Pretty sure they are resistors. Ballasts are much bigger than those gold things. Hmm.. Wonder how they wired the kit then. Unless your ballasts are mounted elsewhere (they must be). So if you could find a pic of the ballasts that would be good.

And it's a shame they had to drill into back headlight housing. If people are having moisture problems with LUX then surely this would be worse.

Problem is I also did a xenon retrofit (LCI) and the warranty period on retrofit items are only a year.. So if something goes wrong there is no crying to BMW about it and them replacing it on motor plan.. So gotta be careful.

While typing this post i did more research on the resistors you have installed:

Here is what I found:

Quote:
HID Kit Relay Wire Harness with Resistors
Allows the HID kit to be powered directly from the car battery
Works for vehicles that require a constant resistance across the headlight output (50W 6 Ohm J)
Bypasses the vehicles OEM headlight wiring
Allows for a more reliable HID installation
Wires insulated in split loom tubing for protection
Simple installation
Cancels Can-Bus headlight warning icon
Commonly found on newer Dodge and vehicles
So it seems these along with the Ballasts hmm.. Wonder if it is indeed better/more reliable because of this. Probably similar to the custom OSS HID angel eye harness kits etc.

P.S. What looks like the same wiring loom you have is $25 from the USA - http://uniqueautostore.com/index.php...roducts_id=206

http://uniqueautostore.com/index.php...roducts_id=206

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/9820265

I think this thread is officially a HID angel eyes thread now
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
1er coupe
Rep

yeah dude dont ask me how any of it works lol

you get the orange resistors...or whatever they are lol....and then a rectangular black control unit (about the same size as a half pack of cards)...they are hidden out of view...cant get the camera down there to see!

No moisture issues so far...its been raining for 3 days straight too.

I cant get good HIDs anywhere else in the UK...and I cant buy from US reliably because of customs tax/delivery cost etc. So I just bought it all as one package.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
honda_pilot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 123d

1er coupe, where in the UK are you from? want to get the full conversion done on my parteners cabriolet and wanted to know if the fella who done yours can do mine?.

Could you pm me please

Cheers
Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #31
FMiguel91
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d Coupé M sport

Quote:
yeah dude dont ask me how any of it works lol

you get the orange resistors...or whatever they are lol....and then a rectangular black control unit (about the same size as a half pack of cards)...they are hidden out of view...cant get the camera down there to see!

No moisture issues so far...its been raining for 3 days straight too.

I cant get good HIDs anywhere else in the UK...and I cant buy from US reliably because of customs tax/delivery cost etc. So I just bought it all as one package.
hey

I´ve inboxed in

i hope have some news from you
Appreciate 0