BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #67
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
The e60 645 n62 motors have problems with bad valve guide seals. They smoke on acceleration off idle. The seals go bad around 65-100k miles. Cost roughly $5,000 to fix it right.

Once you start moving its fine but stop at a light and start off white/blueish smoke plume. It doesn't hurt anything but eventually it gets bad enough that it won't pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #68
thatonetime
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Sorry to hear that, exhaust seals sounds likely. Any of this work getting covered?
So far everything has been covered under the extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillFill View Post
Those rubber erasers are brutal.
Back when I used to detail at a bodyshop as a kid, I tried literally everything to remove the remnants of some old sticker the guy had baking in for 10 or so years.
One body guy comes up with this and burns through the paint in the process. Bottom of door had to get painted
Btw: sorry to hear about the malfunction, sort of a thing you gotta get used to with the 1ers..
The wheel works great if you don't hold it in one spot and move it around. Worked out great for me.

Yeah, thats why I got the extended warranty on the 1 series. If it was a 128i it would not have any issues. Our E91 wagon works amazing and its about to break 200k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
The e60 645 n62 motors have problems with bad valve guide seals. They smoke on acceleration off idle. The seals go bad around 65-100k miles. Cost roughly $5,000 to fix it right.

Once you start moving its fine but stop at a light and start off white/blueish smoke plume. It doesn't hurt anything but eventually it gets bad enough that it won't pass emissions.
Exactly what mine is doing. Once it moves, it clears up. I looked in my extended warranty contract and valve seals are covered. As of now BMW is still trying to locate the problem. One of the shop techs thinks its the fuel injectors leaking since it has the old index 6 injectors from 2008. I guess BMW has had a few revisions since then.

Im letting them figure it out. Ill keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #69
thatonetime
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

UPDATE

Car is still at the dealer. No biggie as long as they fix everything broken. Currently it's still smoking but they have managed to fix a few other issues that were affecting performance.

So far whats been changed this trip:
- Valve Cover Gasket
- Valve Cover
- PCV Valve

Whats next:

So they realized some of the smoke smelled like gas. This meant one or more of the injectors were leaking. They decided to pull them out and see what the issue was.

Surprise surprise!

So the car had injector issues before and it was fixed how ever they could.
They went cylinder 1-6 Injector Index 6,9,9,6,9,6
Since all the injectors are different, the dealer decided it would take to much diagnostic time to figure out the problematic ones. It would be better to replace all of them with Index 12 new Injectors.

All new ones

Here are what my spark plugs look like. They are due in 8k miles but since everything is already off the car they gave me the option of replacing them for the cost of the new plugs. I gave them the go ahead.

So as of now since buying the car, here is everything replaced by the dealer:
- Turbos
- Valve Cover Gasket
- Valve Cover
- PCV Valve
- Index 12 Injectors (all 6)
- Spark Plugs (all 6)

Annnnnnnnnnddddddddd

Car runs way way way smoother and smokes way less buuuutttttt still smokes. yay.

As of now the only issue left is the exhaust valve seals. Let's see what happens and how they will handle that since the turbos have to come off again to check the exhaust ports for oil.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #70
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Wow.... STILL smokes after all that??? Jesus... Valve seals??